Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2020, 09:30 PM   #1
Eastcoastlaxin

Default Light Question

so I bought my Dad's 29A from his estate; couldn't sell it. When he bought it in 2011 it had aftermarket fog lights on it. I failed inspection because one of the "blinkers" (AKA Fog Lights) didn't work. I have two options; remove the fog lights all together or find a replacement for the Wegner 4015A 6V lamp which has proved to be near impossible. I did however find a Wegner 12V lamp that is the same size. Can I run a 12V lamp on a 6 system? I figured I could but it would be dimmer but I am unsure of this theory. I'd hate to take the fog lights off because tat is the way my dad bought it; kind of want to keepit the same. Any input is greatly appreciated. It does have the 6V generator and not the alternator if that matters. Thank you all in advance for input.
Eastcoastlaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
Chris Haynes

Default Re: Light Question

He was using fog lights as turn signals?
It took me 30 seconds to find 3 of them. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...light&_sacat=0
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:37 AM   #3
CarlG

I had a pair of 6volt bulbs that I gave away. They had just been sitting on my shelf since I converted them to 12 volt.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:47 AM   #4
Patrick L.

You should be able to match the bulb with something compatible by knowing the base style.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:18 AM   #5
McMimmcs

I bought one on EBay 3 monthS ago. They are not rare ! Just a little expensive.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
1931 flamingo

"He was using fog lights as turn signals?" I did the same thing on my Avitar when I had it. Using them on my 40 now.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
MikeK

On my '31 roadster I have have 6V amber fog lamps that are used as the front turn signals. My initial experience with them was that during daylight driving the forward and low projected amber driving beam gave little indication of being on when viewed at 45 degrees off-axis, as others would view them at an intersection. In a word, bright head on, very dim in appearance from the side, where you need it.

To remedy this I bought a set of the identical, but cheap 12V lamps and used a tile-cutter's diamond wet saw to remove the rear of the lamp, leaving only the amber lens. To make a wide-spread flood pattern visible off-axis at intersections all you need to do is feed a diffused, non-linear light source instead of the parallel focused beam from the glass parabolic reflector back that was removed.

I painted the inside of the housing with appliance white rattle-can, installed BA15D sockets (headlamp sockets) used 32/32cp 6V lamps and wired both filaments together, effectively giving a 64cp diffused light to the lens. Whopping bright daytime at any viewing angle, and if one of the two filaments 'blows' you still have a functional 32cp blinker until you replace the $2 bulb.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 12:47 PM   #8
Eastcoastlaxin

No he wasnt using tham as turn signals, they were just on the car; wired into the day time lamps
Eastcoastlaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Fog lamps are generally a lot higher current draw than an GE 1129 or 1158 bulb. Those sealed beam bulbs would be around 35 watts while a standard park/turn bulb like the GE 1129 is only 16 or 17 watts. That's a lot of difference on a 6-volt car with a 10 to 15 amp generator continuous rating.

You might consider using some smaller lamps and attach them the the front bumper irons. Something like a motorcycle style turn signal. Many of those that fit an 1156 type bulb will also fit an 1129 or 1158 type bulb for 6-volt use.
https://www.motosport.com/product/?c...004Y-X001-Y002
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote