Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-31-2020, 09:11 PM   #1
Cpuckett

Default 31 Model A e brake question

Hello, I’ve put my brakes back together and then my e brake. While testing the e brake I noticed that only one lining raises up just a little bit on both sides. I know I have the left and right e brake lever on the correct sides and have the woodruff keys installed in the toggle lever. My question is does the e brake lever need to go in a certain direction and do I need to flip them around? I noticed they aren’t straight up. Also when I push the toggle lever with my hand BOTH brakes go up at least 1/2 inch or more.
Thanks
Cpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: 31 Model A e brake question

Orient the e brake toggle levers so that they both angle towards the e brake control arm and the brake rods do not bind. Adjust the e brake rods so that the e brake is barely released. In other words, take the slack out of the linkage. They should pull the same on both sides. The e brake band will self center in the brake drum, and should turn freely when released and grab hold when applied.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #3
Cpuckett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Orient the e brake toggle levers so that they both angle towards the e brake control arm and the brake rods do not bind. Adjust the e brake rods so that the e brake is barely released. In other words, take the slack out of the linkage. They should pull the same on both sides. The e brake band will self center in the brake drum, and should turn freely when released and grab hold when applied.
I’ll try that, thanks Mike
Old 08-01-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
Cpuckett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
Got it!!! Thanks Mike!!!!