Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2020, 05:34 PM   #1
Marshall V. Daut

Default Frank Scheidt's 1937 brake video???

In 2015, I was helping an older friend get his 1937 Deluxe Touring Sedan brakes in working order after a local "repair" shop royally screwed them up. Besides offering outstanding advice on how to fix the brakes, some readers here also recommended I order Frank Scheidt's video on adjusting 1937 Ford brakes, which I did. Great video! It's been a couple years since I posted on the V-8 forum, so maybe things have changed? I have tried searching here and on the Internet for this video ordering information. I clicked on a link in my 2015 posting thread, but it dead-ended. Is this DVD no longer available? Or if so, does anyone have ordering information? Phone number? eMail address? A different local guy with a '38 Coupe is interested in purchasing this DVD, based on my glowing comments about it. Anyone???
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #2
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: Frank Scheidt's 1937 brake video???

Contact Frank

at [email protected]
585 637 8863
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
Bill OH

I have a 1938 and two 38s previously. The method I use is as follows: Assume the drums, shoes, springs, cables and their conduits are greased, that the cable clevises are at equal length at the cross shaft under the X member. Then jack a wheel up, pull the emergency brake on two notches and turn the adjuster on the top side of the backing plate until the wheel can be turned with effort. Release the emergency brake and the wheel should turn - you will probably find high spots in the drum. Ignore the high spots. Do this procedure on the remaining three wheels. Test the brakes by driving on a private driveway or a large parking lot. Stop straight - if not readjust the offending wheel(s)

Last edited by Bill OH; 04-17-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Thanks, Bill. The video sold by Frank Scheidt was produced by FoMoCo and basically is a sales tool for dealerships to show potential customers as a film. It's quite entertaining, besides showing how the new 1937 cable brake system works and is adjusted. As I will be adjusting the coupe's brakes, I think the car's owner just wants to own the video more as a curiosity thing than as a mechanical instruction video.
Perhaps a link to the DVD would be best. I recall seeing one advertised, but for the life of me I can't find it now.
Marshall
Old 04-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
Marshall V. Daut

Ha! 'Found it!!! https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...dvd-1723329066

Marshall
Old 04-18-2020, 07:27 AM   #6
Bill OH

I also found it. I have worked on these cable brakes for 70 years. Started on my first 38 in 1950.
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

Unfortunately, my 89 year-old friend passed away last month, mercifully quickly from a stroke. I don't know what Bill's family intends to do with his '37 Deluxe Touring Sedan that he has owned since the late 1950's, but I suspect it will be offered for sale at some point. Last year Bill had asked me to check into values for his car because he felt he was getting too old to drive the '37 anymore. I was surprised to receive valuations of between $16K and $18! I would have thought that a near original car with its factory mohair interior would be worth more than that! I can almost guarantee that the heirs will THINK it's worth more than that, thanks to the fantasy "reality" TV shows that wildly inflate antique car values and lead people to believe that deceased Grandpa's old Ford is worth a fortune. Thanks for nothing, "American Pickers" et alia!
Should the relatives contact me to determine a fair market value and to help sell the car, I will advertise here first so that you guys get first crack at it. My interest in antique Ford stops at midnight, December 31st, 1931 with the end of Model A production, so I won't be going after this car, really nice though it may be.
Marshall
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Finished_1_resized.jpg (73.2 KB, 254 views)
File Type: jpg Finished_3_resized.jpg (74.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Finished_6_resized.jpg (80.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 04-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #8
rich b

A direct link

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1937-1938-F...-/114062022355

The seller also has other interesting Ford related DVD's listed.

Of course I had to buy a couple.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Unfortunately, my 89 year-old friend passed away last month, mercifully quickly from a stroke. I don't know what Bill's family intends to do with his '37 Deluxe Touring Sedan that he has owned since the late 1950's, but I suspect it will be offered for sale at some point. Last year Bill had asked me to check into values for his car because he felt he was getting too old to drive the '37 anymore. I was surprised to receive valuations of between $16K and $18! I would have thought that a near original car with its factory mohair interior would be worth more than that! I can almost guarantee that the heirs will THINK it's worth more than that, thanks to the fantasy "reality" TV shows that wildly inflate antique car values and lead people to believe that deceased Grandpa's old Ford is worth a fortune. Thanks for nothing, "American Pickers" et alia!
Should the relatives contact me to determine a fair market value and to help sell the car, I will advertise here first so that you guys get first crack at it. My interest in antique Ford stops at midnight, December 31st, 1931 with the end of Model A production, so I won't be going after this car, really nice though it may be.
Marshall
Because of the current crisis, and the massive unemployment that is predicted to follow, they will be very very lucky to get $16,000 for it. I have the same car (totally original), and I had no illusions-- I knew that it was worth about $15,000 tops during better times. I'll bet my car has lost a third of its value already this year. Good luck.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #10
Marshall V. Daut

This car came from Illinois in the late 1950's, purchased from the original owner. (actually, from his daughters who were in the process of trading it in at local used car dealer!)

Marshall
Old 04-18-2020, 06:05 PM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:

This car came from Illinois in the late 1950's, purchased from the original owner. (actually, from his daughters who were in the process of trading it in at local used car dealer!) Marshall

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #12
Brendan

Quote:

This car came from Illinois in the late 1950's, purchased from the original owner. (actually, from his daughters who were in the process of trading it in at local used car dealer!)

Marshall
wow

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
Zeke3

Maybe I should give up on my rusty coupe and get a sedan? Very nice looking car.
Zeke3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #14
Cecil/WV

I had one like that in 1953! Never paid near what this one is worth.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #15
Tony, NY

Quote:
Marshall
It's hard to figure where you're coming from. Should be worth more, then, thanks to the fantasy "reality" TV shows that wildly inflate antique car values and lead people to believe that deceased Grandpa's old Ford is worth a fortune.
They should find the right auction setting. The pickers pay too much (if it's true on tv).
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #16
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony, NY View Post
It's hard to figure where you're coming from. Should be worth more, then, thanks to the fantasy "reality" TV shows that wildly inflate antique car values and lead people to believe that deceased Grandpa's old Ford is worth a fortune.
They should find the right auction setting. The pickers pay too much (if it's true on tv).
I have to ask : Where have you been the last month?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #17
mark180

Really nice looking car. My '37 is my dad's first car that he bought in the 50's for $50. He kept it all this time... then gave it to me!
mark180 is offline   Reply With Quote