Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2020, 03:41 PM   #941
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

From the previous story.

The $2k motorcar is on the left and the $32k motorcar is on the right. Yes, they are the same motorcar except the one on the right has had a large cash injection.
Henry is mentioned in the previous story. No, he wasn't the expensive component.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg staff car first purchased.jpg (20.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0775.jpg (75.0 KB, 18 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #942
woofa.express

What does Christmas mean?

It’s Christmas and we are all thinking of hosting or at least connecting with our family. The highlight is giving the kids gifts and seeing the pleasure the young ones have that morning from finding Santa’s gifts on the end of their beds. Christmas is great for most all of us. However there are some who feel unwanted or unloved.

In our neighbourhood there is a man without family, a widow who has lost two sons in three years and another widow who has lost her dog she has had since a puppy. The former lonely and the latter 2 are grieving. Some of these people will grace our table on Christmas day and others for lunches throughout the year.
Do think of people in a similar situation and do tell them you are thinking of them. A small kindness could mean so much to these people. There's a good chance you too may derive pleasure from this gesture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (19.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg (10.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg images-4.jpeg (9.0 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-02-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #943
shew01

Nicely written, Woofa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:02 AM   #944
woofa.express

The stories I write in the forum I also send to selected friends. That includes my friend Cam. Both he and his son fly. Below is an email I received from Cam and I reckon it may be of interest to you, the forum readers. I don’t feel uncomfortable publishing this as it is neither personal or confidential.

Hi Gary,
I’ve become aware that a number of antique aircraft and replicas are powered by Ford A-model engines, radiator and all. What’s so special that makes them suitable for aviation use? Low revs, or high torque?
Interested in your response, and also why you are so smitten by this particular vehicle!

The vehicle is of course the Model A.
It was only recently I learned that the “Pietenpol” and its Model A power plant. A local pilot took a snap of it at the well-known Oshkosh airshow which bought it to my attention. And it’s only since you asked the question, I’ve gone to the internet to enquire about it.
I see the Pietenpol first flew in 1928 and I would guess the Model A engine was the best available at the time. It is 40hp. I also see that there are several other aeroplanes with the A engine. What I have difficulty understanding in the Pietenpol is why the radiator is directly infront of the pilot. I don’t imagine the pilot gets a view through the airflow ducts in the radiator.
I never had a liking for antique aeroplanes. But Model. A’s yes. I love the body lines. I like the fact they are American and that means simplicity as compared to English complexities. I have little mechanical skill and the little I have goes much further on the A.
When I was young I envied the older kids who owned Model A's. It was the discarded family car at that time. With the very distinctive exhaust sound and the oogah horn they also seemed to be having so much fun. My generation bought Morris Minors and I had an Austin 35 on loan from my dotting grandmother and for that and her never-ending generosity I loved her but never her Austin 35.

pictured is the Pietenpol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7be669ee95efd4ccc8c7140b5c47730a.jpg (54.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-06-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #945
woofa.express

I've been questioned, "what is an Austin 35". well here it is from the internet. Even the colour is the same as granny's.

Footnote of non significance.
It's more than 50 years since man walked on the moon where as shopping trolly undercarriage must be too complex that it can't be designed to track straight?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg austin 1957 a 35.jpg (74.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-13-2020 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #946
Jim Brierley

Pietenpol first made the A powered craft, I think called the 'air camper'??? Things were tight back then and he had requests for an even cheaper to build craft, so he built a single-place craft powered by a Model T engine. If that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #947
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Pietenpol first made the A powered craft, I think called the 'air camper'??? Things were tight back then and he had requests for an even cheaper to build craft, so he built a single-place craft powered by a Model T engine. If that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will!
Hi Jim. I didn't know that but I had never ever heard of the Pietenpol until my friend took a snap of one at the last Oshkosh airshow. cheers, gary

Old 12-07-2020, 01:38 PM   #948
woofa.express

I did a little research on Noddy. you remember him, the little fellow who lived in toyland. He wore a blue beanie with a bell on the end.
Well after looking at the Austin 35 from my story below, it has occurred to me the Austin design by the British Motor Corporation (BMC) was inspired by Noddy's motorcar

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-07-2020 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:31 PM   #949
woofa.express

It’s Cactus.

Cochineal is the red colouring used in food stuffs, dyes and cosmetics. We have it in our kitchen cupboard and you probably have it in yours. Its source is an insect that lives and breeds on a cactus, which in Australia is known as Prickly Pear. This plant was imported to Queensland from Brazil and quickly became a pest. It overwhelmed and devastated 60 million acres of farming and grazing country. There was no way to control it, but then ‘Bingo’. Research found a little Brazilian insect, the ‘Cactus Blastis’ that destroyed it. Help had arrived!
I recall that the country community of Brigalow in Queensland, had it's only building, a community hall named the ‘Cactoblastis Memorial Hall’ in recognition of this little fellow that had delivered salvation to so many.
If an Australian says something is ‘cactus’ it means damaged beyond repair or in a precarious situation that can’t be rectified. It’s a common saying here.
My daughter in law, Kathy, has written a book called Australian Women Pilots, which has been well received.
One of the ten stories is on Lyn Gray who was ferrying a twin-engine aeroplane from California to Australia. She had one engine fail due to fuel exhaustion; the axillary tank feeding that engine was jettisoning fuel. She had insufficient to return or make her next refuelling stop which was Hawaii.
Lyn called mayday with details. Her call transmitted to the US Coastguard via overflying airliners whilst they were in radio range. Qantas, United, Aloha, Southwest US Airways and a business jet.
The Coast Guard responded, again through the airliners and directed Lyn to an ocean freighter some six hours away. She successfully ditched and spent a two days ocean cruising the Pacific on a Maltese carrier Virginese bound for China. Then transferred to the Coast Guard boat Washington and disembarked in Hawaii some days later.
I can see humour in the conversation Lyn had with the crew of US Airways. Hope you see it too. It went like this. It was the crew of US Airways calling Lyn.

Charlie Zulu Echo this is Cactus (followed by their flight number), we are with you now’.
‘Cactus?’ was Lyn’s deadpan reply. ‘Shit mate. We’re the ones that are cactus!’

Surprised at the airline’s call sign Lyn’s reply was somewhat laconic, given their predicament. The Americans were silent for a while, probably a little confused as they didn’t understand the Australian slang.

This story is fair dinkum. The names are ridgy didge.

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-14-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:22 AM   #950
updraught

Prickly Pear came out with the first fleet.

Came across this today, thought it may be of interest:
https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...newtab-intl-en
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 04:17 AM   #951
woofa.express

I thought I had done sufficient research on the subject but you are correct. it was the cactusblastis that came from Brazil. Quote from the internet. - The first recorded introduction of prickly pear was attributed to Governor Phillip at Port Jackson in 1788.
It is thought that the shipment comprised drooping tree pear (Opuntia monacantha) and possibly one or two other species. The plant did originate from Mexico and the north of South America.
I have no problem being corrected updraught.

You sent me enough reading to last to next Christmas. cheers, gary

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-10-2020 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:16 AM   #952
updraught

This is a nicely put together article by a US diplomat stationed in Australia.

It gives a list of plants and seeds picked up by the first fleet.
https://www.bhsportugal.org/uploads/...stralia(1).pdf
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #953
woofa.express

Betcha you didn’t know.

It’s quite possible one thinks he knows another but infact he knows very little. Well my story goes like this. I have read contributions and replies in this forum from Jim Brierly for ages. I’ve always enjoyed doing so. I knew he had a broad knowledge but what a surprise I had when I started reading his book. The development of engines, drive trains and racing cars he had built and contributed to. If you haven’t read it-buy it.

I am known only to few as woofa express or woofa. (It is sign written on the bonnet of my ute and is in memory of a little dog I once had. Woofa). It is known only to those who have seen my ute and those who read the Ford Forum. That’s part 1. Now for part 2. This book I received in the post was addressed to “woofa”. We have a popular post master and when he addressed me as woofa I feared this new handle may become widely used in our small town.

I thankyou Jim for sending your book to me and signing it. In reply to your statement on the first page, yes I will enjoy it.
And thankyou again. Gary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user90758_pic39527_1515213631_thumb.jpg (5.8 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpeg woofa express 2.jpeg (17.5 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-12-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #954
Jim Brierley

Thanks Gary, aka Woofa. Hope this won't cause you any large headaches!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 11:34 AM   #955
woofa.express

Cessna 180.

Yes Mr Hazard. In answer to your question on 06 Dec 2020. Yes, I had ad C180-J, VH-BBF. It was a good utility aeroplane. It was useful insofar as it would always get airborne regardless of what was loaded into it. We did many trips in it, self, wife Patsy and 4 kids. I taught my 2 sons to fly in it, all off country ag strips and roads. Not an easy aeroplane in ground handling or takeoff and landing but they weren’t to know this. They went on to tow gliders and were very popular with the towplane owners.
One son accrued nearly 5,000 and crashed it; not looking where he was going. I did not rebuild it.

It was not an aeroplane I enjoyed flying. Heavy on controls particularly elevator. The later (mine) was slightly concaved on the underside of the wing - about 10 inches aft of the leading edge. I did once get to fly an earlier model with the short cabin and original Cessna type wing. Light on controls, faster roll and it was fun to fly. Totally different aeroplane.
I much preferred to fly the Bonanza but the C180 had 1 great advantage. It was cheap to operate. I also liked the engine. A Continental o-470. Sweet running and did a lot of work on a gallon of gas. Lycomings are more popular engines but that Continental O-470 is a beaut.

To fly agriculture in Australia one is required to undergo specialized training and is then issued an “ag rating”. My training was done in a C180 spreading super phosphate. We carried either 7 or 9 cwt and spread 7 or 9 ton an hour, I don’t recall which. That was 1968. To understand my uncertainty do read my signature below this story, the third line.
For Christmas I’d take farmers and the farm community for a fly. Here is one such occasion. I had to think who they were since this shot was 35 years ago. They’ve all aged. The young one in the aeroplane is David Link who has gone on to be a hot-shot police helicopter pilot. His story is number 117 on 26 June 2018 and is well worth a read. I had the aeroplane repainted and trimmed in maroon with grey to support the maroon. It was a head turner.
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Negatives19-01.jpeg (81.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpeg Negatives19-02.jpeg (67.0 KB, 16 views)

Old 12-22-2020, 07:27 PM   #956
woofa.express

Christmas? Give folk a ride in your A: particularly the oldies. Many speak of their dads or granddads first car. They say they were Model A’s when they don’t really know. The kids too like to ride in the old car. They particularly enjoy the oorgah. Some of them are show-offs and others become embarrassed. Make someone’s Christmas.

Enjoy your Christmas with your family and/or friends. Don’t forget to leave out a glass of milk and a few carrots.
We have a 31 Celsius (88 F) day forecast which for us is warm but not hot. Many of you maybe shovelling snow. What a difference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kids in Model A.jpg (21.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown.jpeg (15.1 KB, 16 views)

Old 12-22-2020, 07:30 PM   #957
Big hammer

Nice looking kids ! They will remember the times spent with you. Happy Holidays to everyone !
Old 12-27-2020, 01:26 AM   #958
woofa.express

A Christmas Story. Part 1.

Christmas has gone and it was a great day. Temp didn’t reach the forecast 31 but was 28 which is even more welcome. Kids enjoyed themselves but we had one catastrophe. Grandson Archie dived into the river wearing his glasses and lost them of course.
One thing we do well in Australia is recycle our rubbish and we have plenty of it at Christmas. We do this by compressing it and shipping it off to China making our problem their problem. They have no problem with pollution.
Here is a photo shot of grandkids under the palm trees on their blow-up Santa delivered plastic island. Importantly counter sunk in the gold-coloured plastic sand is some 4 cylinders to hold their stubbies to keep cool in the event of thirst. I inflated it by using a compressor. I should have let them blow it up with their lungs which would have occupied them until Christmas lunch. Anyway by afternoon it had partially deflated. It will end up back in China for recycling of course. China was where it was manufactured. For recycling of course. In time enough to become a new plastic island for our next Christmas. Now that’s why we call it recycling.
Post script. A stubby is a half-bottle of beer, 17oz in size.

Now there’s one thing in this story which is not true. You shall have to wait for the next exciting episode to find out.

Part 2.

China is no longer taking our recyclable plastics and junk but I really do think that is our responsibility to dispose of our trash. In addition, China is no longer taking coal and at this time there are 74 ships are anchored off shore waiting to unload. Plus our farmers barley, wine, cotton and some other agricultural products. This is to punish us for our military relationship with the USA. They continue to purchase our farms and land. Plus upmarket houses in Sydney and Gold Coast. Plus our natural gas which our non-thinking government of the day sold them for 4c a litre without indexing. That’s about 11c (USD) per each 1 US gallon. At the bowser we pay 0.80 AUD (2.30 USD for gallon.)

And thankyou Robert for your informative and kind email. g

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-27-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 02:36 PM   #959
woofa.express

Dining away from home.

English food never appealed to me. Too much is processed, insufficient fruit and vegetables. Fry and bacon: Australians are accustomed to lamb’s fry but English fry is from the pig and not pleasant.
We once stopped in a tiny village about 2 hours west of London. Just 5 buildings in this town- a quaint little pub and church, a cricket ground and 2 houses. Idyllic place with old established English oak trees. Prior to booking in to the hotel I asked if their dining room served vegetables and was told yes they did. Great. We moved in, enjoyed drinking some beer, chilled beer and not the usual warm stuff they serve. Then to the dining room and without perusing the menu I asked for a big plate of vegetables only to be told “it is Friday we serve vegetables Sir”.
In another incident, Italy this time, I went to a hotel dining room and was ushered by an extremely bad-mannered waiter. He was annoyed I didn’t speak Italian. He didn’t speak English either. Following a pleasant meal I went to this rude fellow and said “you would have to own this hotel. No person would give you a job, you are such a rude and bad-mannered man. You are a disgrace.” Well he took my hand and shook it so hard I thought my arm would pull from my shoulder socket. I felt vindicated as I departed that dining room.
The French are reputed to be quite rude. Well I always started a request with a greeting in French. It was clear I was making an attempt at their language and they responded cordially.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg images-2.jpeg (13.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (9.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-1.jpeg (4.9 KB, 3 views)

Old 01-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #960
woofa.express

Friends at Bright.

Mt Kosciuszko is our highest mountain at 7,300 feet. Many of you would say it is only foothills compared to yours. Yes that may be so. We get winter snow on that mountain and the surrounding high slopes suitable on which to ski. A delightful little town that supports the ski fields is that of Bright, elevation of about 1,000 feet. You might call it a tourist town supporting not only skiing but a slightly cooler location from which to shelter from the summer heat. Also renowned for autumn colours which are quite different from our evergreen eucalypt or gums trees.
Twelve miles to the south and slightly higher is the tiny location of Harrietville with its population of less than 400. A little narrow and winding road joins them both. For me they are both places to visit in the summer for I am a sook when it comes to winter. The first time my wife Patsy and I drove into Harrietville we spotted a shed storing 3 Model A’s. So of course we just had to stop and chat. They were going motorcars and may have well been restored many years before but never the less they had beauty only an A possesses. The daughter showed us the vehicles and we had a good chat. The owner was representing a flour milling company and was working in the middle east. We subsequently met him on another trip.
Now back to the little town of Bright. We also knew a couple there. He had written a book on agricultural flying and I had got to know him well. And his delightful wife Gwen. She was a kindly woman who would never say or do anything to offend a sole. They always provided the most welcome reception and hospitality and we enjoyed our discussions.

But one day she let it slip. There was someone in Harrietville she just didn’t like and she revealed just who it was. You will never know him she said, so I’ll tell you. It’s the baker.
There are things in our life we do regret. This is one. “Gwen, there is only one couple in Bright that I know and that is you and your hubby and two people in Harrietville I know and that is the baker and his daughter”. This kindly sole was broken.

Oh how I wished I had kept my foolish mouth shut.

A footnote. Both Gwen and the baker have long passed now so I am comfortable to tell this tale.
Attached Images
File Type: png Unknown-1.png (8.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg Unknown-2.jpeg (10.7 KB, 2 views)