Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #21
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Jay piercy's 30 coupe is on ebay...

And here is some more about what they may do.

Member-to-member contact policy overview

Members can send messages to each other through eBay. We encourage open communication between our members but we don't allow our members to use these options to send spam, offers to buy or sell off eBay, threats, profanity, or hate speech. We also don't allow members to offer, reference, or request email addresses, phone numbers or other contact information, physical addresses, web addresses, or links within eBay messaging systems (Best Offer, My Messages etc.). eBay may monitor messages sent through eBay and between users for fraud, abuse, spam, and other violations of eBay's policies.
Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including your messages being blocked, limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account.
Please remember that we don't have control over communication unless it takes place through eBay. Also, posts on eBay discussion boards - opens in new window or tab aren't covered by this policy. However, we do have a Community content policy.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #22
30 Closed Cab PU

and finally in the user agreement, there is more info besides this.

If we believe you are violating the policy on Offers to buy or sell outside of eBay, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits on your buying and selling privileges, restrictions on listings and account features, suspension of your account, application of fees, and recovery of expenses for policy monitoring and enforcement. If you are a seller and you offer or reference your contact information or ask a buyer for their contact information in the context of buying or selling outside of eBay, you may be liable to pay a final value fee applicable to that item, even if the item does not sell.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #23
texas webb

I visited several times with Jay,buying parts and talking A's and other stories.
Great man and proud of the work done on that coupe.
texas webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 06:25 AM   #24
ronn

ebay is looking for fast money- they have no interest in being your local police dept.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
ebay is looking for fast money- they have no interest in being your local police dept.
Very true, ...and with a transaction with this amount of money, the Buyer is going to make a personal inspection first. At that time, if a sale is made the Seller just removes the listing. If eBay decides to ban the Seller, just like here, a new username is made and the banned person rejoins.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:53 AM   #26
30 Closed Cab PU

I wasn't saying there are not ways around this situation. Pointing out that ethically/legally you agreed not to do it. Do not know how they collect fees, perhaps paypal/credit card, which I suppose you can contest through Paypal and your credit card. Ebay also have has terms on requiring binding arbitration with the cost of their efforts also charged to the offender. I doubt Ebay rarely if ever goes after someone like that.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #27
Dick Steinkamp

The Kustom Kart Hauler that I linked to earlier was listed on eBay but didn't meet reserve. Several weeks later I trailered it to the GoodGuys West Coast Nationals in Pleasanton, CA, where the guy that was the high bidder on eBay saw the car in person and bought it for my price. I don't think eBay's intent is to require that once a car is listed on eBay that it can only be sold on eBay (weeks, months, years later).

I have also sold cars after the eBay listing expired using their Second Chance Offer program.

eBay only gets paid for a vehicle listing IF the vehicle meets reserve and sells within their system. There is no listing fee (unless you want some of their bells and whistles to enhance your listing). This is unlike all other items for sale on eBay where there IS a listing fee in addition to the selling fee. Listing a car for sale on eBay with the intent of getting some free exposure is against their rules and somewhat unethical. It also won't usually work since eBay screens listings and communication using their message system for email addresses and phone numbers being exchanged.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #28
ronn

Dick,
after listing 6 cars, there is a listing and selling fee.

Originally on the 1st 6, no listing fee, only a selling fee of about 125. After that, there is a listing and selling fee. about 50. to list. forget the selling fee...........
Old 09-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #29
redmodelt

RE; Jay piercy's 30 coupe
While a few people know who he was, how many more don't?
Many did not and and do not know the cars or level of restoration and even at that, it's a coupe. Many of us would be happy to be able to pay $10,000 a piece of "junk" if we had the extra money.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:37 PM   #30
Jeff/Illinois

ronn I have sold two antique cars on E-Bay and did pay a small fee I think it was about $50 each time (been a few years ago) but I was fine with that because the cars sold over my reserve, so I was happy. And the buyers were happy too so it worked out well.

I did contact a guy about a Shelby he had for sale years ago, I was making a deal to buy it from him, in a private e-mail and a phone call, E-Bay found out somehow, and we BOTH got a warning from them, a red flag and told that if we ever did that again we were out of the ball game. That kind of shocked me. Never did THAT again!!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:56 PM   #31
Don Turley

Default JAY PEARCY 1930 Coupe

Jay Pearcy's 1930 Coupe was the cover car on the January-February 2012 "Model A News" published by Model A Restorers Club. There is an article on pages 36-39 with many close-up photos taken by Ken Ehrenhofer.

As Jay stated in the article, it was a "true labor of love." He first showed the Coupe at the 2007 MARC Meet at Virginia Beach. He kept improving the car, showing it each and every year until he finally won the Henry Award. Others would have probably given up, but Jay was persistent until he finally reached his goal.

Jay first contacted me in 2006 through FordBarn, looking for tools for his tool kit. We became very good friends and spent many hours on telephone visits, as well as visits to each others homes, he in Texas and me in Georgia. I really miss those visits with Jay.

Jay's Coupe can never be sold for the amount of money and time that he invested in it. However, it will eventually find a new owner who will appreciate owning a quality Model A.

Friendships made through the car hobby are priceless.
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #32
tinman080

This vehicle would take an absolutely REMARKABLE car to come close to equaling it in any respect.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #33
ronn

interesting Jeff. I generally forward my email in parts and then if the seller is interested, we continue to speak.
Have never had what you are mentioning happen, but I dont keep correspondence on ebays site either.
I generally do this if a listing has run out and find most want to run their auction through from beg to end.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:08 PM   #34
swo4rd

What was the final disposition for Jay's Coupe...
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #35
Tom Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Brent,
I'm just a hobbiest, but I have built over 30 cars...both hot rods and stockers. I've sold all my cars through eBay or BaT. The part of the hobby I enjoy most is building the cars. I'm not a rich guy and I don't have tons of storage space, so I need to sell them soon after I finish them in order for the hobby to continue for me. I'm skilled enough (but hardly a pro) that I have always broken even on my cars and usually make a profit (excluding my labor of course). Two of my cars have been invited to the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona, another went to a museum in Winnipeg. Here's a sampling...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/996911...57650980254655

I certainly believe you when you say this coupe is a very special car...but I can't tell that from the pictures and text. If I was in the market, but if I didn't know the car like you do, I doubt if I would follow up on this one. Nothing is really said or pictured that would justify the price.

I agree that eBay can give a car some excellent exposure that results in an after auction sale. This has happened to me several times. But my experience is that you have to do a far better job of showing off the car both in words and pictures than was done here in order to get those follow up calls.

Again, I'd start the car at $1,000 with a high reserve. I'd provide at least 20 pictures and a link to many more. I'd give a full description of the car, its history, the story of the restoration, the awards it has won, etc. When the auction ends, and the reserve isn't met, a potential buyer that has never seen or heard of this car would have enough information to follow up. I would also know post auction how the market values the car.

I also agree with you that if this car is to actually sell anywhere near $50k, that it would go to a rich guy that absolutely needed a 30 Coupe in this condition, with this color, and equipment. Finding those few people that qualify (or that one person) will not be easy. This eBay ad won't help any.

Here's an example of one of my eBay listings. A pretty unique car with a limited buyer pool. This car did not sell during the eBay auction but sold post auction to the high bidder for more than his final bid amount and about the same money as the 30 Coupe...

http://studeute.steinkamp.us/the-kar...r-is-for-sale/

Here's one of my BaT auctions. Another unique car and it sold during the auction...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-daimler-v8-250/

If you say this car is Copra/Chicle, then it is. This is how it shows in the eBay listing, however...

I don't know if it is the lighting, the camera, or what, but this isn't Copra/Chicle.

Based on your knowledge of this car, I'm sure it is beautiful. I hope it sells for what the seller feels it is worth. I'm only saying that this eBay listing did not help that process.
I have ssen the car mang times and admired Jays persistence. I can certify that the appearance of the color in that picture is not a correct representation of the actual color. It looks like that picture has had a sepia tone added to it.
Trust me, it is Copra/Chicle. Mine's the same color but painted 55 years ago in a high school vocational auto shop.
Fearless
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #36
daren007

Crappy???
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #37
Licensed to kill

At least at that price it won't be bought and hot rodded. I have no problem with hot rodding them, I have 3 but I do get bothered when I see a very nice looking rust free stock model A get bought up to be rodded. Ho rodding (IMO) is for the ones dragged out of the bush or some farmers field. Not theta it's any of by business what anyone does with their own car. It's not.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote