Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
sconnors

Default YOM Plates

Does anyone know of a website that tells how many plates were required on vehicles for a certain year? I live in New York state and am looking to see if one or two plates were required in 1930 because I was going to buy vintage plates for my CCPU but can't find out if I need one or two? I even checked the New York DMV website and they only say you have to have the number of plates required for that year but don't tell you how many were required for what year??
Any help would be greatly appreciated
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: YOM Plates

Minnesota required two plates back in the day, but now for the collector and antique, you only need one.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
huddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnors View Post
Does anyone know of a website that tells how many plates were required on vehicles for a certain year? I live in New York state and am looking to see if one or two plates were required in 1930 because I was going to buy vintage plates for my CCPU but can't find out if I need one or two? I even checked the New York DMV website and they only say you have to have the number of plates required for that year but don't tell you how many were required for what year??
1930 YOM in NY requires two plates.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #4
leo

This post brings up another issue for YOM plates in New Jersey. The issue is that we still don't have the authority to use YOM plates on our collector vehicles. Tell us how this was pushed through the state house in other more enlightened locations.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Keith True

Here in N.H. it was pushed through by a couple of old-car friendly legislators.Where I am we can actually talk to the ones in our district.When YOM plates were first introduced here,we could only run one on the front.We had to run the standard antique plate on the rear.When the bill to run one plate was introduced here,a lot of us asked the rep why he didn't introduce a bill to run plates front and rear.He told us that any bills go up before a bunch of crusty old buggers for a vote,(him included)that are against change.He said you have to crawl before you walk.So,it was voted in to use one plate,then after a couple of years passed without the sky falling,he introduced another bill to run them front and rear.That one breezed right through.If you look at the floor discussion on it just before the vote,it looks like just a few minutes were spent on it.Those questions were from reps just clarifying a couple of minor points.I got the first two-plate YOM certification in the state when it went into effect.It was supposed to go into effect at 12:01 August first,but that fell on a Saturday.Here,any laws dated to take effect over a weekend actually kick in the following business day.I called at 8:15 on Monday to find out what I had to do to certify two plates,They had no idea.After they looked up the new law they sent me to the local registry to show them the two plates,they just wrote two plates on the old single plate certificate.It's free here.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
Bertha

Just registered 'Bertha' with her original plate, just one.
When I told them that I only had one they looked it up and said that was all the was issued in 1953.

NY DMV Custom Plate Unit
Vintage Plates.
1-518-402-4838

After going thru the menu 700 times I finally got a live person by repeatedly pressing 7.....I think.

Bob
Old 09-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
This post brings up another issue for YOM plates in New Jersey. The issue is that we still don't have the authority to use YOM plates on our collector vehicles. Tell us how this was pushed through the state house in other more enlightened locations.
I don't know the details in California but I bet someone pushed the idea that it was an easy way to make money for the state. They spend it so well that they are always looking for more.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
C4engr

When I registered my A in 1998, I was only required to show DMV 1 YOM plate although I had a pair. Second plate is almost recognizable and I keep it in car in case I needed to present it to a peace officer who wants to be difficult..
The clerk issued me two tabs which are to be placed above plate. Each tab is to be used for Month and Year sticker.

Good Luck..

Rog
C4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
Patrick L.

New York in 1930 required 2 plates, and, still does except for dealers.

You'll probably find a bizillion of them on ebay.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
smittykid

Try doing a search on Ebay for 1930 New York license plates. A lot of times they will sell matching sets-thus two plates were required. When I ran a search for Pa. plates I found a couple of people selling matched sets - so apparently Pa. had two plates in 1930. Hope this helps.
Oh by the way for my Pa. friends-Harrisburg Ok'd YOM plates back on July 2nd, 2014. They will nail you an extra $75.00 FOR "permission" to run the plate-but other than the cash and a form they just need a photo of the plate. That $75.00 is over and above the $75.00 you already paid for the Antique plate. Kinda pricey. Smitty

Last edited by smittykid; 09-15-2014 at 04:06 PM.
smittykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
sconnors

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddy View Post
1930 YOM in NY requires two plates.
Thanks! Good to know!
Old 09-15-2014, 04:22 PM   #12
sconnors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
New York in 1930 required 2 plates, and, still does except for dealers.

You'll probably find a bizillion of them on ebay.
Thanks I appreciate it!!
Old 09-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This is from DMV.org;

If you own a historical vehicle as defined above, you may instead purchase vintage plates (authentic New York license plates that were issued during the vehicle's model year) from an automobile collector, an antique dealer, a flea market, or another local source.

Take the full set of original plates (replicas or repainted plates are not eligible) to your local DMV office along with Vintage License Plates (Form MV-440V) (on which you've signed the owner's certification statement). Follow the instructions on that form.

The fee is $3.75 for the new registration document if you have already registered the vehicle in your name, or $28.75 if this is a new registration. Again, add $50 for a new title if the vehicle is a 1973 or newer model that does not already have a title in your name.

The single plate years are 1942-43 (43 tab on 42 plate), 1944 (re-stamped 1942 plate), 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1953-54 (54 tab on 53 plate), 1955-56 (56 tab on a 55 plate), and 1964-65 (65 sticker on 64 plate).
Old 09-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnors View Post
I wonder (don't know) how New York feels about commercial plates (or if they even had them). The correct plates for a 1931 commercial (like my '31 RDPU) should have the small letters "PC" (pneumatic commercial) but I have heard that the California DMV will let it slide. I would sure like to find a set just because that is what belongs on the truck.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #15
Rowdy
BANNED

Same here only one required. This varies state to state, so best to check the DMV website of your state. Rod
Old 09-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #16
rocket1

no YOM plates in Jersey,but we got rid of the front plate on QQ plates.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:30 AM   #17
emf

For NY, ANY YOM plate is eligible for your vehicles's year. In other words, you can put a commercial plate on a non commercial car or vice versa....

Got that right from the DMV..

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #18
Bruce Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by emf View Post
For NY, ANY YOM plate is eligible for your vehicles's year. In other words, you can put a commercial plate on a non commercial car or vice versa....

Got that right from the DMV..

Frank

Commercial Plated YOM's can't operate legally on NYS PARKWAYS which some of our small trucks found out from an over zealous trooper while on tour a couple of years ago.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #19
Patrick L.

The problem with NY DMV offices are the difference between county and state offices. They are different entities and the state offices have a hard time telling the county offices anything.
Ask 3 people in a county office a question and you'll get 3 different answers. Sometimes, however, one answer just may happen to be correct.
Ask 3 people is a state a question and you'll probably get 2 different answers and one of them may be correct.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:05 AM   #20
ModAfan

In Massachusetts one YOM plate is sufficient even if it was a two-plate year. According to DMV regulations, “(ii) The plate must be in good repair and in original condition. Its letters, numbers and markings must be clearly legible. Any indication that the plate has been repainted or otherwise altered will cause the Registrar to reject use of the plate.”
I brought my eBay-purchased 1928 YOM plate to the registry when I registered my Tudor, about six weeks ago. I handed the paper work and the YOM plate to the clerk. He said that the branch manager would have to approve the plate. He brought it in to her office. He brought the plate back to me with the bad news that the manager had rejected the plate. I asked to talk to the manager. She came out to the counter under a full head of steam, furious that I had questioned her authority. I asked her why she had rejected the plate. I reminded her of the regulations quoted above and said that the plate met all of those conditions. The manager, now foaming at the mouth, said the plate was filthy and rusted and could not be read. I stood there in disbelief.
When she left, the clerk leaned over the counter and whispered to me to take the plate to a DMV branch about 20 miles away.
I went there, handed the plate to the clerk who said “Oh, nice, that’s the one with the cod fish on it.” No manager involved. In and out in ten minutes.
The moral of the story --- I dunno.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (51.3 KB, 37 views)
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:19 AM   #21
45GPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
no YOM plates in Jersey,but we got rid of the front plate on QQ plates.

What are QQ plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModAfan View Post
That's easy. The moral of the story is, if you don't get the response you want, shop around.
45GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #22
leo

Hey rocket1, tell me more about this New Jersey no QQ plate in front thing, that's the first I've heard of it.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #23
Boston Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModAfan View Post
------The manager, now foaming at the mouth, said the plate was filthy and rusted and could not be read. I stood there in disbelief.
When she left, the clerk leaned over the counter and whispered to me to take the plate to a DMV branch about 20 miles away.
I went there, handed the plate to the clerk who said “Oh, nice, that’s the one with the cod fish on it.” No manager involved. In and out in ten minutes.
It's the Massachusetts RMV. What else do you need to know?
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #24
CarlG

Rule of thumb is that you should get DMV approval on the plate BEFORE doing any restoration work on the plate, no matter what state you are in.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
ModAfan

"It's the Massachusetts RMV. What else do you need to know?"

Maybe. But how does that account for the clerk at the RMV branch who approved the plates instantly and could not have been nicer? Also, the clerk at the first branch who gave me the helpful tip was clearly on my side. He didn't like the manager any more than I did.
I remember when e v e r y one at the Mass. RMV was just like Seinfeld's Soup Nazi. The RMV has clearly come a long way since then. Unfortunately, the manager I ran across at the first branch was vintage enough to have been there in the bad old days.
ModAfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #26
bikejunk

as I understand it your YOM plate # has to be unique so in the day the same # was issued to that person year after year for that car -so only one set will be usable , or is that wrong?

by the way I have been running a QQ (NJ vintage) plate only on the back - and original plate on the front for 2 years now - no cop hassle yet
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:26 PM   #27
Bruce Adams

I searched for QQ plates from NJ which is their Historic plate Prefix, in NYS they are HX prefixed.
Lets see if this "copy" prints.

Antique Auto License Plates

New Jersey (NJ)
Black-on-straw undated Historic
Authorized 1964 and first issued 1965. Aluminum pairs with QQ-A100 serial format. Plate #QQ-B123 was issued in late 1966; #QQ-N379 was issued in early 1979.

Black-on-straw undated Historic (Courtesy)
Registrants with DMV connections could receive special numbers (such as #QQ-T 11, which was issued to a 1911 Model T Ford).
Black-on-straw undated Historic (Reflectorized)
For a few months in 1969-70, the state experimented with a reflectorized background, then returned to the standard non-reflectorized paint.
Buff-on-blue undated Historic
This base appeared in 1979, with numbers continuing from where the old series left off.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #28
Arlen

Here in Texas, its really easy to use yom plates. The state originally issued two plates, so we still have to use two. Here in Texas, the plates are actually stamped "front" or "rear" even.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #29
Brother Hesekiel

Clearly, YOM plates, or, stated more correctly, license plate usage, is based on state law. What would interest me is how much you guys pay in your state for a set of plates? I searched for over a month for a set of DMV clear plates, and eventually had to pay $350 for an unrestored set in fabulous condition. Not cheap, but much cheaper than a 1932 set, for obvious reasons.

Brother Hesekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #30
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
Clearly, YOM plates, or, stated more correctly, license plate usage, is based on state law. What would interest me is how much you guys pay in your state for a set of plates? I searched for over a month for a set of DMV clear plates, and eventually had to pay $350 for an unrestored set in fabulous condition. Not cheap, but much cheaper than a 1932 set, for obvious reasons.

I haven't bought any in a couple years, but, I haven't paid over $30 for a set. Here in NY you need both.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #31
bbrust

I recommend that you buy both plates no matter what state you're in. I bought one plate years ago and when I went to get it registered, it was rejected because the number was in use. It appears that the seller sold me one plate and sold the other plate to someone else. Bob
bbrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #32
rocket1

QQ plates inN.J. have Historic printed on them,the vehicle has to be 25 years or older,in N.J. historic vehicles and motorcycles only require one plate,in the rear naturally.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #33
leo

Aw just put on the YOM plates and see if anyone in law enforcement really cares. I've put the New Jersey QQ plate on the rear and YOM in front. Of course I haven't been on the road with it yet and make no mistake about it I'm not encouraging anyone to break the law. Well maybe a little..........
Old 09-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #34
abachman3

In Illinois we can run year of manufacture plates. We do not register that plate al all. We are just required to carry the present registration and plates in the vehicle. No they do not have to be visible at all, usually they are under a seat.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #35
Boston Bruce

Here is my Mass. YOM plate.

img_20130621_085814_285-resized-500.jpg
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #36
Merc Cruzer

Even though Colorado is a two plate state the rule on YOM plates is only one plate has to be used. They do have a hitch in the system, in that if the number and letter combination is used on any other year plate currently in use, they will not approve the plate.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #37
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Aw just put on the YOM plates and see if anyone in law enforcement really cares. I've put the New Jersey QQ plate on the rear and YOM in front...
Basically what we do here in Alaska, except that the plate we display on the front is from wherever (since Alaska YOM plates for 28-31 are as scarce as hens teeth). Mine is Texas, others are SD, MN, KS, to name a few.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 11:06 AM   #38
Bertha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Hesekiel View Post
What it would have cost if I hadn't had the original.

1931 California

Bertha is currently registered in NYS. $62.00, 2year, cost based on weight.
It cost $3.75 to change the registration to the original YOM plate. One year $25.00 flat rate.

Bob

Last edited by Bertha; 09-17-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Bertha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:16 PM   #39
bikejunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrust View Post
I recommend that you buy both plates no matter what state you're in. I bought one plate years ago and when I went to get it registered, it was rejected because the number was in use. It appears that the seller sold me one plate and sold the other plate to someone else. Bob
he may have had a few years of the same # the plat number did not change just the year when you get them from an original estate all the years will have the same # on that registration .for that car.
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #40
C4engr

For my CA registration of my 31 Sedan YOM plates I pay $101 per year. In that is a $25 special plate fee..

Rog
C4engr is offline   Reply With Quote