Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2016, 04:21 PM   #1
swo4rd

Default Firewall moiunted body tags

On some cars, Briggs and Murray installed on the firewall of the vehicle, "BODY TAGS" with a consecutive numbering of the bodies. If have seen tags on Dlx Coupes, 180A Dlx Phaetons, Dlx Fordors (real Fordors), Wood Station Wagons, 400A's, 190A's... The sporadic installation of the bodies with their tags from the Murray and Briggs plants offers few if any clues of a relationship between body number and date of assembly....maybe not. The 180A group maintains a registry that shows the body tag numeration corresponds within a couple of months - in MOST cases -to the frame and engine number recording by Ford thereby giving a date range withing two months.

Soooo, is there anyone out there with a collection of Body Tags or even some or even one Body Tag (maybe a frame and/or engine number relationship) who would be willing to post them so we can see how they were lettered (or numbered if you prefer) . OR, maybe someone knows how they were lettered...I'd hate to hear that there is a big tag collection out there somewhere that is not shared or that might wind up in a scrap heap someday.

A&L makes a very good reproduction of both of the tags. There have also been several efforts to reproduce or duplicate these body tags...any information on these?
swoff
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
Dave in MD

Default Re: Firewall moiunted body tags

Dennis Smith has put together some information on the body tag prefixes. I think his information is on the MARC or MAFCA web sites or both. Google it. You may want to check with Dennis to see if he has collected any of the production portion of the tag numbers. I believe he lives in Texas.
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

I saw a list of Briggs Body Numbers someplace. I think it was on Ford Garage?
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:37 PM   #4
Brian SATX

Flat firewall slant window sedans also had them.

The Victoria Association did a list a few years back of all the known Victorias and the tags and engine numbers.