Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2022, 02:04 PM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Anyone with issues with Coker Tires out of round, I found a solution

I was having an issue at speed (50-55) of the front end shimmying. Since my car is fenderless, I could see the front wheels hopping at that speed.

Coker's issues of out of round tires is well known and it's a crying shame they are unwilling to fix it.

I spent 2 hours calling every tires shop in my area. Most guys had no idea what tire shaving is, let alone perform this service.

Through a Google search, I found K&T Vintage Sport Cars in Bethlehem, PA. (484-281-8085)

Not only did they shave the fronts to be perfectly round, they also balanced both wheels perfectly. Owner said 50 mph is when an out of round tire will make itself known, so I'm glad my hunch was correct.

The owner did the work and took a video to show me the tires on the machine. You can see clear as day they were out of round.

He shaved only what was needed to make them round and the cost was very reasonable ($50 per tire).

He said it's not uncommon for him to have to add up to 6.5 oz of weight to get a Coker tire to balance. He said he's called them numerous times and they simply don't care.

He was able to balance mine with 1.5 oz and 1.75 oz respectively. He told me he's done some exotic stuff for showroom stock case of racing. Shaved tires at an angle to get a better chamber on the wheel, etc.

Great place and great people working there.

I know there is a place in CT that does this and there is a thread on the HAMB about it, but I wanted to give try-state area guys another option.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:09 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: Anyone with issues with Coker Tires out of round, I found a solution

Great information Tim, thanks for posting.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 03:10 PM   #3
woodiewagon46

Default Re: Anyone with issues with Coker Tires out of round, I found a solution

The best solution that I found, is to never by Coker tires. Your solution is to spend $50 per tire and loose how many miles, to correct a problem that Coker should be responsible for. Why do we only hear about problems with Coker tires, simply do not buy them. I had a serious issue with Junker tires and they did absolutely nothing to help me, never again!
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Cokers molds may not be properly centering the tire carcass during the mold vulcanizing process. All of these type tires were set up by rolling the plies on a mandrel and the person doing that has to make certain they stop pretty close to where they started on the mandrel or there will be too much ply overlap. This will show up after vulcanization as a very heavy side and may have run out problems.

A person should let Coker know about problems like this whether they own up or ignore the complainant. They may not have full control over the manufacturing process. I always assume that they did but that doesn't mean they still do. Folks love to outsource stuff these days. Tires are serious business. If they don't respond to the complainant, maybe they will respond to the DOT or a lawsuit.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:14 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Cokers molds may not be properly centering the tire carcass during the mold vulcanizing process. All of these type tires were set up by rolling the plies on a mandrel and the person doing that has to make certain they stop pretty close to where they started on the mandrel or there will be too much ply overlap. This will show up after vulcanization as a very heavy side and may have run out problems.

A person should let Coker know about problems like this whether they own up or ignore the complainant. They may not have full control over the manufacturing process. I always assume that they did but that doesn't mean they still do. Folks love to outsource stuff these days. Tires are serious business. If they don't respond to the complainant, maybe they will respond to the DOT or a lawsuit.
Rotorwrench,

Coker is fully aware of the problem. I've spoken to them about it at Hershey.

They claim they've got some magical way to balance them at THEIR shop. I don't believe it and the out of round issue is all over forums like HAMB, etc.

I was aware of the issue before I bought them and crossed my fingers my tires would be OK. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't deal. I want the look of bias ply tires, I just don't like the headaches.

At this time, I'm willing to deal with the problem and correct it like I did, but I do wish Coker would get their act together and make round tires.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:28 PM   #6
VeryTangled

I may have missed it, Tim Ayres, but what vehicle are the tires subject to this thread mounted on?

I cried for a few days when I bought 5 Auburn Radials for my '35 about six or eight years ago. I didn't feel they were out of round on a 2k mile road trip soon after the mounting. So, I probably got tagged for that $50 per, along the way just like the Coker buyers.

Getting them to seat the bead took a few goes with a bazooka blaster. Unwrap and let the tires relax before attempting to mount is my tip. 6.5 oz to balance a few of them made my mind twist around in circles.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:51 PM   #7
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
I may have missed it, Tim Ayres, but what vehicle are the tires subject to this thread mounted on?

I cried for a few days when I bought 5 Auburn Radials for my '35 about six or eight years ago. I didn't feel they were out of round on a 2k mile road trip soon after the mounting. So, I probably got tagged for that $50 per, along the way just like the Coker buyers.

Getting them to seat the bead took a few goes with a bazooka blaster. Unwrap and let the tires relax before attempting to mount is my tip. 6.5 oz to balance a few of them made my mind twist around in circles.
They are front runners on a '28 AV8 roadster.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:34 PM   #8
TJ

I've never had an issue with Diamondbacks.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:36 PM   #9
Newc

V8 Ford Club is full of these mishaps and the stories. Coker doesn't care. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:24 PM   #10
52flthed

Which tires from Coker is everyone referring to? All of them? Don't they themselves make the Firestone bias ply tires? STA makes some of what they sell too. Which ones have the issues?
52flthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:14 PM   #11
Bob T

The solution is Diamondback. To have to pay to make a new tire round is ridiculous.
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:20 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

These are the ribbed "dirt track" front runners, but most of the smaller diameter tires are notorious for being out of round. I have 7.00 X 16" on the back and I haven't checked those. In hindsight, I should have brought them out with me too. K&T was 1.5 hours each way from me.

I looked the tires over real good and it wasn't out of round in one spot. He shaved in multiple places. No wonder they were hopping all over the place at speed. Left front was the worst. It looked like a basketball being dribbled. It was pounding the hell out of the front end.

From what I understand, Coker has a new owner. I sure hope he takes all of the bad press on various forums seriously.

They charge a premium price for their products.

I'm curious about their Excelsior tires, but they are even more money and just don't have the vintage look for an open wheeled car.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 06-29-2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:46 PM   #13
tubman

Odd. I put a set of "Coker Classics" (185/75R15's front and 2.25/75R15's back) on my '51 about 12 years ago. The fronts required NO weights, and the backs took 1.5 oz. weights on one side and 2.5 oz. weights on the other. I've run them all of this time with no problems.

My main problem is that they still have plenty of tread and look great, but I'm gonna have to replace them because of their age.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:57 PM   #14
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Odd. I put a set of "Coker Classics" (185/75R15's front and 2.25/75R15's back) on my '51 about 12 years ago. The fronts required NO weights, and the backs took 1.5 oz. weights on one side and 2.5 oz. weights on the other. I've run them all of this time with no problems.

My main problem is that they still have plenty of tread and look great, but I'm gonna have to replace them because of their age.
The out of round problems are with their bias ply tires, not their radials.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:03 PM   #15
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
The out of round problems are with their bias ply tires, not their radials.
I like to drive my cars, so bias-ply tires are not in the equation for me.

Sorry to intrude in your discussion.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:04 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I'm curious about their Excelsior tires, but they are even more money and just don't have the vintage look for an open wheeled car.

No doubt, the Excelsiors ain't cheap! I know that Coker sells them, but I don't believe Coker has anything to do with their production. We've had first-hand experience with the Excelsiors on Heard's '36 3-window, and they drive and handle GOOD, folks! Not even a hint of any 'out-of-round' condition. I've never heard a bad word about Excelsiors. Just like Coker, Jeg's and Summit Racing both sell the Excelsiors, and many times have a special going where the shipping is FREE!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 08:15 PM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I like to drive my cars, so bias-ply tires are not in the equation for me.

Sorry to intrude in your discussion.
So do I. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or what....

I drove the car 140 miles round trip last Saturday. I try to drive it daily if the weather permits since I haven't made a top for it yet.

Having bias ply or a radial tire has nothing to do with the enjoyment of driving an old car.

In all reality, it's best that this car has bias ply tires on it since it can spin the tires in first and second. If the tires hooked up, I'd have already broken stuff.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 06-29-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:19 PM   #18
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
No doubt, the Excelsiors ain't cheap! I know that Coker sells them, but I don't believe Coker has anything to do with their production. We've had first-hand experience with the Excelsiors on Heard's '36 3-window, and they drive and handle GOOD, folks! Not even a hint of any 'out-of-round' condition. I've never heard a bad word about Excelsiors. Just like Coker, Jeg's and Summit Racing both sell the Excelsiors, and many times have a special going where the shipping is FREE!

Coop

Coop,

Interesting. I didn't realize that. I thought it was a Coker product since Sumit does sell their tires as well.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #19
tubman

Quote:
So do I. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or what....

I drove the car 140 miles round trip last Saturday. I try to drive it daily if the weather permits since I haven't made a top for it yet.

Having bias ply or a radial tire has nothing to do with the enjoyment of driving an old car.

In all reality, it's best that this car has bias ply tires on it since it can spin the tires in first and second. If the tires hooked up, I'd have already broken stuff.
I have not found this to be true. The best thing I did with my '51 is to swap the Firestone "re-pop" bias plies for the "Coker Classics".

I guess we have different uses and expectations for our respective cars.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:42 PM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Coop,

Interesting. I didn't realize that. I thought it was a Coker product since Sumit does sell their tires as well.

You know Tim, I COULD be totally full of ..it. Surely wouldn't be the first time. I just thought I had read (somewhere in the past) that they were manufactured by OTHER than Coker. Then, on the other hand, if Coker DOES make the Excelsiors, then that proves that they SHOULD be able to figure-out how to fix their crummy lines of tires. Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote