Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #1
whizzernick

Default WOODGRAIN (real)

A little history. I have been doing (hand) woodgrain since 1966. most of my interest has been 1933-34 ford (as I started out in 1959 with a 33 roadster)

I always wanted to get as close as possible to original woodgrain . I have a large collection of original woodgrain samples. (the inside of 33 -34 glovebox doors ) (no fade from sunlight ) The original method ( done by ford ) & most others. Was a printing method . Plate of woodgrain pattern was inked up and a very soft roller transfered the image from plate to item to wood grain. To get the corect pattern (33 or34 ) you need the correct printing plate. Most original method people DO NOT thave the correct printing plates. I found one guy with the correct printing plates. Benny Esties ( in Florida ) I flew to Florida in 1970 and brought my 1933 vickey dash window frames my 33 dashboard and a lot of extra parts (glove box doors ash tray etc. ) I was thinking about a dealership (from him ) Price at that time was $50,000 .
I thought at the time (no $50,000 and would I ever do that much woodgrain )
All my woodgrain was finished by him and now my roadster and vickey have as correct as possible woodgrain.
My pictures are of both original and original method. I do have a large colections of almost all years and if you need a picture of original If I have it I will email to you .

I TRIED TO POST AND THIS IS WHAT I GOT

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #2
Doug 845

Default Re: WOODGRAIN (real)

I would like to see a pic of some original 33's. Isn't the '33 a little darker than the '34?
Doug 845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:53 PM   #3
deuce lover

Here is Nick's orig '33.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
A little history. I have been doing (hand) woodgrain since 1966. most of my interest has been 1933-34 ford (as I started out in 1959 with a 33 roadster)

I always wanted to get as close as possible to original woodgrain . I have a large collection of original woodgrain samples. (the inside of 33 -34 glovebox doors ) (no fade from sunlight ) The original method ( done by ford ) & most others. Was a printing method . Plate of woodgrain pattern was inked up and a very soft roller transfered the image from plate to item to wood grain. To get the corect pattern (33 or34 ) you need the correct printing plate. Most original method people DO NOT thave the correct printing plates. I found one guy with the correct printing plates. Benny Esties ( in Florida ) I flew to Florida in 1970 and brought my 1933 vickey dash window frames my 33 dashboard and a lot of extra parts (glove box doors ash tray etc. ) I was thinking about a dealership (from him ) Price at that time was $50,000 .
I thought at the time (no $50,000 and would I ever do that much woodgrain )
All my woodgrain was finished by him and now my roadster and vickey have as correct as possible woodgrain.
My pictures are of both original and original method. I do have a large colections of almost all years and if you need a picture of original If I have it I will email to you .

I TRIED TO POST AND THIS IS WHAT I GOT

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.

I get the same message when trying to post photos I take with my cell phone. Funny how photos from the phone with the exact same settings post just fine on the HAMB. I was told that the photos were too large but reducing their size didn't help. I even emailed them to another member who resized them but still no luck. My solution is to use my digital camera and no more error message. I'm no computer person but my best guess is that there is some internal setting in the camera in my cell phone that is turned on or off which produces the error message. If you have a digital camera try using it to post here on the Barn.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:15 PM   #5
whizzernick

I use my home computer. pictures are in files. does any one know what that message says ???????????????
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:16 PM   #6
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
I get the same message when trying to post photos I take with my cell phone. Funny how photos from the phone with the exact same settings post just fine on the HAMB. I was told that the photos were too large but reducing their size didn't help. I even emailed them to another member who resized them but still no luck. My solution is to use my digital camera and no more error message. I'm no computer person but my best guess is that there is some internal setting in the camera in my cell phone that is turned on or off which produces the error message. If you have a digital camera try using it to post here on the Barn.
Hello -

re woodgraining -

I have a '33 coupe.

The windshield glass = olde, unpro-installed plate glass, cracked. We had to remove the windshield frame with cracked glass in order to have the glass professionally replaced.

I contacted Sanders; at my request, they 'cut' a "6Ford33" 3w coupe windshield glass & sent it (excellent service they provide!)

Currently, the (Sanders 6Ford33) windshield glass has professionally been installed in the frame. Now, the frame w/glass will be installed on/in the car.

NOW would be the time to professionally '33-'34 woodgrain the dash. (if anyway possible) Is any '33-'34 woodgrainer still available?

(upon removal of the windshield frame w/ cracked non-FoMoCo plate glass, we observed that there are six slot-flat-headed=special-head/fine-thread machine screws that secure the dash top to the cowl flange; three per driver side, three per passenger side.

Five reluctantly unscrewed, but submitted; one refused - the slotted-head cracked in half as a result of hand-held screwdriver pressure. (imagine the hand-squeeze on that screwdriver handle by my strong-armed son!) Apparently brittle steel!

This one screw will have to be drilled out (1/8th inch diameter.)possibly re-tap only if absolutely necessary. The two to be screwed back in on that side should be sufficient.
(your/anyone's opinion on that is welcomed.) Thank you -

highbeams Pat Malone
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 04:17 PM   #7
highbeams

///Hello -

re woodgraining -

I have a '33 coupe.

The windshield glass = olde, unpro-installed plate glass, cracked. We had to remove the windshield frame with cracked glass in order to have the glass professionally replaced.

I contacted Sanders; at my request, they 'cut' a "6FoMoCo33" 3w coupe windshield glass & sent it (excellent service they provide!)

Currently, the (Sanders 6FoMoCo33) windshield glass has professionally been installed in the frame. Now, the frame w/glass will be installed on/in the car.

NOW would be the time to professionally '33-'34 woodgrain the dash. (if anyway possible) Is any '33-'34 woodgrainer still available?

(upon removal of the windshield frame w/ cracked non-FoMoCo plate glass, we observed that there are six slot-round-headed=special-head/fine-thread machine screws that secure the dash top to the cowl flange; three per driver side, three per passenger side.

Five reluctantly unscrewed, but submitted; one refused - the slotted-head cracked in half as a result of hand-held screwdriver pressure. (imagine the hand-squeeze on that screwdriver handle by my strong-armed son! with a tap tap with screwdriver in the slot) Apparently brittle steel!

This one screw will have to be drilled out (1/8th inch diameter.)possibly re-tap only if absolutely necessary. The two to be screwed back in on that side should be sufficient.

highbeams Pat Malone

Last edited by highbeams; 05-29-2022 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:03 AM   #8
deuce_roadster

[IMG][/IMG]

This is a NOS garnish molding out of a dealership in Seattle. If someone wanted better pictures of it, PM me your email address. Interestingly it has a 1-33 date on the back.
Real for sure.
deuce_roadster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:15 AM   #9
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by highbeams View Post
///Hello -

re woodgraining -

I have a '33 coupe.

I contacted Sanders; at my request, they 'cut' a "6FoMoCo33" 3w coupe windshield glass & sent it (excellent service they provide!)

Currently, the (Sanders 6FoMoCo33) windshield glass has professionally been installed in the frame. Now, the frame w/glass will be installed on/in the car.

(upon removal of the windshield frame w/ cracked non-FoMoCo plate glass, we observed that there are six slot-round-headed=special-head/fine-thread machine screws that secure the dash top to the cowl flange; three per driver side, three per passenger side.

Five reluctantly unscrewed, but submitted; one refused - the slotted-head cracked in half as a result of hand-held screwdriver pressure. (imagine the hand-squeeze on that screwdriver handle by my strong-armed son! with a tap tap with screwdriver in the slot) Apparently brittle steel!

highbeams Pat Malone

I think it takes a screw similar to these glove box mounting screws(10-32)-flat oval slotted.If it does I have an extra for free.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33-34 glove box screws & plate.jpg (37.2 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by deuce lover; 05-30-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #10
deuce lover

[

xxx
Old 05-31-2022, 05:01 PM   #11
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
I think it takes a screw similar to these glove box mounting screws(10-32)-flat oval slotted.If it does I have an extra for free.
Thank you much, Whizzernick!

Do you think this could be drilled out and tapped?

highbeams
Old 05-31-2022, 05:07 PM   #12
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

This is a NOS garnish molding out of a dealership in Seattle. If someone wanted better pictures of it, PM me your email address. Interestingly it has a 1-33 date on the back.
Real for sure.
WOW!
That should be framed!!!
Old 05-31-2022, 05:13 PM   #13
highbeams

Impeccable! Thank you for that.

Surely in this day and age, SOMEONE can reproduce that "woodgrain".?

Last edited by highbeams; 05-31-2022 at 07:25 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 05-31-2022, 05:28 PM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:30 AM   #15
highbeams

Quote:
Thank you, Deuce Lover. I thought that I had thanked you - I'm sure I would have with an offer like that! But won't the drilling-out 'take out' the original threads? The threads are not with a nut, but are in a stamped-in piece. This stamp-in piece cannot be replaced, because I can't stamp it in! Thank you!
Old 06-08-2022, 11:07 AM   #16
deuce lover

Its a bit tricky to get the screw out if the slot is buggered up.If somehow you can get a good grip the head might snap off,but then you can get the dash out since the other screws came out okay.If thats the case -if dash can be removed you will have easier access to get the rest of the screw out.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:16 AM   #17
ssffnomad

Possibly take a Dremal , and very carefully get rid to the rest of the head.
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:26 AM   #18
highbeams

Quote:
Its a bit tricky to get the screw out if the slot is buggered up.If somehow you can get a good grip the head might snap off,but then you can get the dash out since the other screws came out okay.If thats the case -if dash can be removed you will have easier access to get the rest of the screw out.
Thank you, Deuce Lover -

Cannot get a good grip on the head. My son will be visiting in July + again, I'll let it rest 'til he's here. I'll update w/a post. 87 yrs rusted tight is a lonnng time.

As said, the old cracked-plate unprofessional windshield glass has been removed; professionally replaced w/a Sanders glass windshield; the frame w/ the now Sanders glass is installation ready.

I wanted to have professional woodgrain'g done after we git that stubborn fine-threaded stud out, but it appears that real woodgrainers are scarce anymore.

At any rate, the dash will have to come out for a thorough surface cleaning removal of the hard-honey-type coating, which is over an unprofessional woodgrain'g from who knows when and by who.

(I have the passenger-side dash hard-honey-type coating carefully removed and cleaned up, as is the passenger door-glass moulding. (removed verrrry carefully w/ a sponge & Bon Ami('hasn't scratched yet'.) extremely time consuming; i.e., a day for the passenger-glass moulding. I'm perplexed w/this coating, and it's gotta go.

Thanks much for your suggestion(s)

*Aggressive removal= bare steel wanting to peek through.)
Old 06-09-2022, 02:54 AM   #19
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssffnomad View Post
Possibly take a Dremal , and very carefully get rid to the rest of the head.
Thanks much, ssffnomad -

Your Dremal suggestion = a very good possibility. As I replied to Deuce Lover, (please read) hopefully my son will get at it again in his July+ visit. (Henry's fine-threads did keep everything tight-together; a particular thread depending upon what it was making two as one - I've read.

Last edited by highbeams; 06-09-2022 at 02:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-09-2022, 04:19 PM   #20
35fordtn

The six screws in question as original were 12-24 x 9/16" Slotted Binding head screws in S-2 Finish.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote