Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Bill Underwood

Default Greyhound- Dog Days!

This is too good, and sad, to not write about. As of today, I have had a medium sized shipment coming from California to Tennessee in their "system", for one month! Yes, one month!.
I have called them, gotten a tracer number, called locally, the shipper has gone to the CA ship sight. All they say it is "in transit". I guess my question is where is it "in transit" to? they do not know! Last seen in Denver two weeks ago. We asked about a claim...not yet, you will get it.
Sort of reminds me of the old Kingston Trio song "Get Charlie off the MTA-wll he ever return, will he ever return, his fate is still uncertain"

This is the third, and last time, I will use THE DOG. One time took three weeks from Oregon, then eight days from Chicago.

You all can post all you want about how the system works and you will be preaching to the choir with me. I have heard it all. The 800 number puts on a great spin and they must have a script in front of them as it is almost word-for-word.

No matter what you read here....DON'T DO THE DOG
Bill Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Greyhound- Dog Days!

All shippers lose shipments, all of them. I've used them to send and receive with no problems.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Dog here, Whadda' mean, "DON'T DO THE DOG"??? I'm a Dog & I'm DEPENDABLE & FAST, & I got Italian Greyhound & Whippett in my family tree, SO THERE!! OH! I'm embarrased, Ol' Bill jist tole me y'all wur talkin' about a dumb ol' BUS, sorry! Buster T.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BUS.jpg (7.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
d.

wow! yeah, this has happened to me also, but then the next time it worked out perfectly. Greyhound is good for shipping fenders and wheels and tires, they ship on a "space available" program, so your stuff might sit in Dallas, Atlanta, or wherever for a few days until "space is available".
I've also had troubles with UPS, FedEx, the Post Office, Home Depot, BestBuy, Sears, and others and I still use them. They all have their problems, but in the end, it works out. Find out what it costs to ship a fender or a pair of wheels with a trucking line (Yellow Freight, etc.) and you might re-think Greyhound as an option.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
Bill Underwood

That was my first mistake I re-thought it!No, I'll do without before I use greyhound again
Final!
I just hope my wandering parts eventually show.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bill, is the package starting out and finishing up at an actual Greyhound terminal or another bus company that is part of the network?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #7
Bill Underwood

100% greyhound terminal to terminal
Old 09-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
Richard Wilson

Check with the local (receiving bus station). Sometimes the bus web site tracking does not get updated. I recently purchased an original exhaust for my vintage CB-750 from a man in California. Expected delivery was 5-days. Two weeks later the bus web site still showed the exhaust somewhere in Texas. According to the web site it had been there since the second day. I called the local station to see if I could get some follow up and danged if the exhaust wasn't here in Asheville. In fact it had been here for eight days. The package had not been scanned at any bus stops from Texas to NC, had not been scanned as received at the Asheville station, and I had not been contacted that the package was in Asheville (my phone number and home address were on the shipping label). Your story might be different but I would check the local station for the package.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
FL&WVMIKE

Greyhound is usually a choice between price and quickness. Greyhound is not really in the shipping business, but will do it, space permitting. I have had good luck with them.
MIKE

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 09-18-2013 at 11:40 AM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
spdway1

You get what you pay for!!
spdway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Bill Underwood

I had little option from the seller due to size.
Filed claim of loss today. I will post here as to success of claim...I have very low expectations. Obviously, I had rather have the part as now the project is stopped and I start looking again.
For those of you that have had success, you have been blessed. My local stories have been horrific! Never again, NEVER.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
Bill Underwood

I guess I was of just too little faith! My shipment arrived today. Thursday would have concluded 7 weeks on the road. It had more fun the last two months than I have had. Calif, Reno, St Lake City, Denver, St Louis, Nashville........
Oh well its here. I called off the dog (pun) on the claim.
Lesson learned.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
Skrain

I've figured out that from where I am in Kentucky, if I manage to find a cowl, gas tank and windshield for my 31 from Bert's in Denver, it would actually be easier, faster, and CHEAPER for me to hook up the trailer to my RAV4, and go pick it up rather then have it shipped!
Of course, I drove a semi for 35 years, so a 600-700 mile day is bupkis for me...
Old 09-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
ronn

after 2 lost shipments with greyhound, I will give Fastenal a shot next time.

understand greyhound is ALWAYS standby.... also, greyhound ONLY insures up to 300.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
Ken B

I had a 1930 cowl shipped via Greyhound and it took about 4 weeks. I was told that they hold the packages at terminals and wait until the space is available for the next part of the trip. I was getting nervous also and it finally arrived.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote