Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
flaming forty

Default size of vin stamps

What was the size of steel stamps used to stamp the vin on the 1940 ford? My vin was covered up by whoever welded my mustang II front end on. I am going to restamp the number but I want to use the approx. size that they used. I need to sell the car but missing vin numbers is causing problems with the DMV. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
flaming forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: size of vin stamps

The aproximate size is font of about ¼" tall, but do that and you're liable to create more problems than you can deal with. Messing with the Vin or stamping numbers to simulate a Vin is very much frowned on by the authorities. Having a Mustang front end, you likely won't have the original three speed transmission, but if you did, the number would be on the bell housing. There are two other locations on the frame, both innaccessible while the body is attached. I'd say let the buyer beware, the new registration is really on him as it was on you when you bought the car.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

Ford38v8 is right but you also need to consider that you not only need the correct size you need the correct font.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
alchemy

The DMV will know that the characters are not regular letter styles as found with most stamp sets. They know the special shapes and will look for them.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
V8 Bob

The correct engine/frame stamps are available from Mark Eckerich, collector/restorer.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #6
Charlie Stephens

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Without a VIN how did you determine that the car on the paperwork was actually the car in the driveway (answer not required)? Having said that with a more positive thought is there any chance that the VIN is actually there and you missed it? The stamping is sometimes very faint. Try finding someone familiar with forties to help you look. If you gave your general location maybe someone would volunteer to come over or you could contact that local chapter of the Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org) to find someone. If all else fails I think the legal solution (check it with your local DMV) would be to raise the body and have an authorized person (probably a policeman, VIN verifier, etc but again check with DMV) inspect and record the VIN number that is located in two places under the body. The DMV (or someone they designate) can then rivet a identification number to the door jam.

Charlie Stephens
Old 04-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
blucar

I have an "engine" stamp set that I have had for approximately 50 years.. It is called 1/8", has numbers and letters.. Harbor Freight sells a 1/8" stamp set that is very close, being from China the numbers/letters are not quite as sharp as a set made in U.S.A.
When I worked in the auto repair industry. over fifty years ago, we regularly stamped new serial numbers into newly rebuilt engines.. Many old cars used engine numbers as a VIN, this being the case, the serial number on the new engine was supposed to be recorded with the DMV.. Generally this did not happen because an employee and/or the vehicle owner had to go to the DMV office to have the new number recorded..
Even at $1.50 an hour, time was money.. Ergo, that is why the engine numbers on a lot of the old cars don't match the paper work..
Old 04-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
Charlie Stephens

I forgot to add that you will also need a "star" stamp. The "star" was used before and at the end of the number at Ford.

Charlie Stephens
Old 04-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #9
klicker

You never know..... I took my 39 to DMV for title transfer (from CA) which required a vin inspection. The numbers were very lightly stamped, and the first number couldn't even be seen. Inspector goes, "oh well, close enough!" Works for me. My brother-in - law has a 46 in bare metal. I told him to tape over the vin so he doesn't forget and grind in off. Save some pain.
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #10
Rowdy
BANNED

The Sherriff's deputy;s that do the inspecting here don't know the difference or even where to look for the VIN. Rod
Old 04-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
The Sherriff's deputy;s that do the inspecting here don't know the difference or even where to look for the VIN. Rod
How can you be sure that you won't get one that is a member of MARC, MAFCA and the Early Ford V8 Club? It sort of reminds me of the advice to auditors, if you find a loose thread, pull it. If the VIN number looks funny and they start pulling, where will it go? Worst case they might impound the car and pull it apart only to find there was not a problem.

Charlie Stephens
Old 04-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
Rowdy
BANNED

I am simply stating that this is the way it plays out locally. Every states state has different laws. Here, they go by the engine number for anything 1948 and older. Since there is not a number on the enhine for flathead era cars, it would revert to the number on the transmission according to the way the law is written. They basicly do not even acknowledge the numbers on the frame exist. So if you stamped the number from the transmission onto the frame, no law is broken based on the messed up way this states law reads. Also the computer check only looks to see if the car is stolen, it does not look to see if it is registered elsewhere. I did not say it would not cause a potential problem nationally. Rod
Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
Old Ford Addict

As long as it matches the title and the other two places its stamped on the left rail I don’t see how this is an issue.
Im sure its very rare for a DMV drone to know what the hell their looking at anyway
Plus the guy is long gone after asking so who are we talking to?
Old Ford Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #14
B-O-B

Had my 34 roadster registered inAz & they didn't even look at anything just the title from where it was registered.
Sold the T bird registered in Or & sold to a fellow in Az. I spent the day delivering it & going to DMV .The gal never even looked @the car just the Or title. She even went so far as to find a neat plate for the new owner.
The roadster had to be pushed into the garage as it wasn't running @ the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3972.jpg (62.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2008 086.jpg (6.7 KB, 286 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ford Addict View Post
Plus the guy is long gone after asking so who are we talking to?
Hey, we're talkin' here!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
woodiewagon46

A company called Restostamps has the correct stamps for Ford vehicles in the correct size and all the unusual numbers and star stamp. WWW.restostamps.com.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:10 PM   #17
deuce_roadster

I am not sure the restostamps has the correct information about the special I, 6 and 9 only used after 1938. Every 32 V8 frame I have ever seen has the capital I used for 1, 6 and 9 that look like musical notes. I notice they list B and not V8. I have zero experience with B (4 cyl) vehicles. DavidG can certainly clear this up.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:27 PM   #18
Tinker

Basic early changes was the One, Six, and Nine, that was in 1931.

Certainly things carried over like head lights over yrs.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote