Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2022, 07:36 AM   #1
qmdv

Default VIN size

My frame number is pretty hard to read . If you look from the right angle it can be done. I want to re stamp the numbers and am wondering what the correct size is. I can get a star stamp from Mc Master Carr

Tim
qmdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:16 AM   #2
ssffnomad

Default Re: VIN size

Why ? Henry’s guys hand stamped it, that’s why it look the way it does.
My Personal Opinion - don’t mess with it
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 08:19 AM   #3
alchemy

Ford used a special set, and any DMV inspector worth his salt knows what they should look like. If you use some generic stamps it will be a giveaway to the fraud you committed.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 09:31 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Not all stamps are the same and they tend to wear out over time and many blows steel on steel. Look at this outfit's stamps and see if they match what you have. They were 1/4" but there are difference in some stamps in the type of font so a person should make sure of a match. It will be obvious if the stamp doesn't match the OEM and look like crap. The figure would have to be fit perfectly into what remains of the character on the frame.
A couple of links to look at.
https://restostamps.com/collections/ford-model-a-b-t
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137622
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
deuce_roadster

The 6 and 9 look like musical notes but ARE DIFFERENT from each other, one has a more rounded part, the 1 is a capital I and the 4 is different from some stamp companies. I have had a set for many years, and they still make crisp impressions but I put a little oil on them before stamping. Remake soft frames stamp really easy, originals are more like spring steel.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 01:03 PM   #6
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmdv View Post
My frame number is pretty hard to read . If you look from the right angle it can be done. I want to re stamp the numbers and am wondering what the correct size is. I can get a star stamp from Mc Master Carr

Tim

Hey Tim....For what the extremely low value of MY opinion is worth, I personally would never "re-stamp" any original serial numbers. There are only two entities that matter when it comes to those numbers, and those are the state DMV that inspects and verifies those numbers, as well as any reasonably-knowledgeable, future purchaser of the vehicle. It is also possible that your insurance carrier COULD deny any coverage if a claim becomes a factor.

If the registering state is happy with the number as is, there is no reason to "tune-up" the stamped number. In fact, it constitutes a federal felony under "18 U.S. Code § 511" to alter or tamper with any original number, whether it belongs to you, or not. Most states get upset with tampering also, each state dictating it's own consequences for such.

The second reason NOT to re-stamp those numbers is predicated on future sale of the vehicle. There are enough reasonably knowledgeable collector-car people out there (like myself) that can recognize a "messed-with" number, and know that such will likely cause grief down the line with entities (also knowledgeable) requiring verification of those numbers in the future, including your insurance carrier. I wouldn't touch a car with obviously-messed-with numbers. In other words....DON'T DO IT! Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 05-27-2022 at 01:12 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 02:06 PM   #7
Mart

Just photograph it for your records and protect it with grease or something so it does not deteriorate.
Trying to restamp it would be a big mistake.
just my 10c worth.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #8
deuce_roadster

V8coopman (Dick) makes a very good case for leaving the original stamping alone.
In my case for my avatar roadster, I had a title for it, but the car sat out in the PNW rain from 1949 until 1983 and the top and bottom lips of the frame as well as sills and floor were rusted away. I got a doner frame and put the new number (from the title) on it in the usual places after removing the original numbers. I wanted a steel 32 roadster and the only way I could afford one was to fix something like this. No such thing as a Brookville then.

In my 32 roadster picture album are copies of the front-page Aberdeen Daily World news of the wreck that killed a kid, and after this tragedy, the owner who loaned the car to these kids wanted the car to rot into the ground. A friend bought it at his estate sale and after looking it over decided he couldn't fix it and sold it to me in 1984, I had it on the road in 2000.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 05-28-2022 at 10:44 AM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:24 PM   #9
Tinker

rotowrench link to to resto is a solid set. I have a Mc Master Carr set also. They are okay but not great. Remember there are changes over yrs to the sets. The dmv wouldn't know but a buyer may or hopefully know.

I would not suggest doing anything illegal. But things happen over 50-80 yrs.

Personally I would, if you can sorta read them in low light. I would use them as stamped.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:52 PM   #10
cas3

Its very, very hard to restamp something other than with the original stamp, and even then if you do not have it lined up perfect...you get an imperfect job that will be obvious to anybody looking at it. Dont do it
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 10:58 PM   #11
tomcarman

I'm of the "don't do it" line of thinking. Coop in post #6 as well as many others point out the negative possibilities. You'll never get an exact impression even if you used the exact stamp it was done with. Also I didn't see what year it is but isn't the frame stamped in more than one spot so one could verify the # even if the obvious one was degraded?

Last edited by tomcarman; 05-28-2022 at 11:05 PM.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:18 PM   #12
tubman

In most states, it's like the "Monopoly" game : "Do not pass GO; go directly to JAIL.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:19 PM   #13
Tinker

Model As one place on the frame and motor. Real fun jacking up the body to get to the frame stamp.

32 on till 49??? (not sure when it ended) was three spots on the frame. Some hard to get to.

I don't think it's a major crime to restamp a legal frame with numbers that are true.

How many people cutout nova plates and weld them in.

If you are stamping new numbers. Well.... DON"T
Old 05-28-2022, 11:25 PM   #14
tubman

"Tinker" - Things have changed lately; for the worst.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:33 PM   #15
Tinker

Tubby if you look around. 80% of things are well. Best to hangout with positive people. At least as we sat lakeside with family and watched life happen. Things are not bad in this wonder nation we live in, if you look around to the rest of the world.

Don't restamp a frame. Stop watching news and take a break.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-28-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:40 PM   #16
tubman

Hoo boy!
Old 05-28-2022, 11:47 PM   #17
Tinker

Hoe boy... hahahaha

I hope you are well. Ya totally full time down in keywest now? Life is hard. Love the banter.

Too keep on topic. Don't re-stamp.
Old 05-29-2022, 09:22 AM   #18
tubman

Not in Key West; too expensive and crowded. I'm in Marathon for the cold weather, but back in Breezy Point for the summer. Nothing like 7 months away from the shop to get the juices flowin' again.