Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2022, 09:24 PM   #1
rotorwrench

Default Oil Pump internal leak

I've been checking the crank bearings on my 29 Sport Coupe and found something I've not seen before. With pan & pump removed, I disassembled the oil pump and cleaned the screen and all parts for an inspection. Everything looked OK so I put the gears back in and the cover plate back on temporarily so I could spin it in the solvent tank to check function. I noticed solvent squirting out of the body just above the gear location. During manufacture of this pump, an iron or steel plug (much like a rivet) was swaged into the body to plug a cross drilling from the pump feed bore to the gear shaft bore. The plug didn't quite fill the hole there and is a leaker. It's likely been this way from day one. The pump would still push fluid out the normal ports at the top but it would put out a lot more if it didn't leak.

Something for folks to check if they have a pump with a plug like this one.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:45 PM   #2
gdmn852

Default Re: Oil Pump internal leak

Thank you for posting the oil pump issue, something most people including me would not think to check,supposed to be a new part and expect it to work, be most aggravating to ruin an engine because of it. I guess the X files adage could be used “trust no one “or trust no repro parts.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:59 AM   #3
rotorwrench

If a person puts the pump completely together with the screen and cover shroud and then tests it, They would likely never detect the leak since it is covered by the screen shroud. I just have to figure out a good way to stop the leak now. New pumps are expensive and otherwise this pump is in good condition. The gap is small so I may try to silver solder it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #4
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
If a person puts the pump completely together with the screen and cover shroud and then tests it, They would likely never detect the leak since it is covered by the screen shroud. I just have to figure out a good way to stop the leak now. New pumps are expensive and otherwise this pump is in good condition. The gap is small so I may try to silver solder it.
I found the factory weld to seal that area on the pump i am modifying had a small leak. I did silver solder as the repair, as you suggest.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote