Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
PepeLoco

Default Where are all the Chevy's from 28-31?

If I am correct, Chevrolet sold about as many as Ford did between 1928-31. Then why don't you see more Chevy's? What happened to all those cars? Poor quality? Bad metal? Too much wood?

Even if my memory is bad, and Ford out sold Chevy, still...where are all those cars?
Pepe
PepeLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
darrylkmc

Default Re: Where are all the Chevy's from 28-31?

We actually had a discussion about a month ago "Ford Vs Chev ?"

Here is a link to that thread:

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64771

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Hicktick

termites
Hicktick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

In 1929 Ford outsold them Chevy boyz but by 1931 Chevy outsold Ford by a margin of 3 to 1. A lot has to do with their basic construction, ...and it is my personal opinion that it also had some to do with the 'socio-economic structure' of those who owned that car.

To start with, generally the '28-'31 Chevrolet was perceived to be better constructed than its counterpart (the Model-A). Not so much in 1928 but definitely by 1931. If you have ever ridden in or driven a 1927 Chevrolet, ...and in a 1929 Chevrolet, you will quickly realize what I am saying. They were a heavier car that arguably had a better suspension (4 springs vs. 2), better steering, and in the case of the 1927 Chevrolet, they had 3 speeds in a selective-gear transmission vs. a band controlled planetary transmission. I could go on with the differences but the coachwork itself was also something that was much more substantial in the Chevrolet. In 1929, Ford found himself competing against what many buyers considered a better engine (6 cylinder) that obtained better fuel mileage and was much smoother in operation. Likely it was something new that folks had to 'warm up to' at first, but like anything new, once it had been proven it was accepted. My father owns a 1931 Chevrolet Landau Phaeton which was the direct competitor to the 400A Convertible Sedan, and when I compare the two vehicles' construction both in mechanical and coachwork, there really is no comparison. Also, GM had more flashy interior selections with the same being said about their exterior colors.

The downside to Chevrolet was the very thing that made them noteable in that the coachwork over time would deteriorate. The two other things that I think sold Fords was the vast dealer network that he had, AND that he provided in-house financing. He offered a car that folks could afford, ...and saw to it where they had a way to buy it.

Where this socio-economic thing comes into play IMHO is automotive engineering was advancing at a high rate back then. Taking a Ford for example, if you purchased a brand new Ford in 1926, you got a 22 horse vehicle with a 2-speed planetary transmission that many considered underpowered. Three years later, you purchased a 1929 Ford that still had a 4 cylinder, and three years later you purchased a new Ford that could have been equipped with a V-8. The horsepower doubled (as did the speeds) each time you purchased a new car, ...all of this within a span of 6 years. My point is that a 5 year old Ford back then did NOT have any re-sale value because it was grossly outdated. Therefore the majority of people that bought the 5+ year old Fords were folks that could not afford anything more modern. Because of the vast amount of T's & A's that were manufactured, parts were abundant allowing the Model-A to remain usuable through out the years and not become extinct.

So like you pointed out, too much wood which may be considered a design flaw by our standards is where they likely met their major demise. Then poor repair parts availability sealed the coffin so to speak.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

Last edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C; 04-11-2012 at 11:58 AM.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Louis

You really don't see a lot of 28-31 chevy's. But here's a 31 chevy. my buddy fixed up. He is the one that did the body and paint on my "stock" 31 "A" coupe, Which ride's a lot smoother then his .
We go to a lot of sat. cruise nights togeather. I do have a hard time keeping up with him though , I guess I need a good tune up .
The chevy. is fun to drive .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2240002[1].jpg (81.3 KB, 124 views)
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Rich in Tucson

There is a 1931 Chevy Cabriolet for sale in Tucson, AZ. Call Ron at 520-623-5755. Needs to be restored but was running when parked, top is all there, metal is straight.
Rich in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
CarlG

There's a 29 Chevy 4-door sedan that cruises with us sometimes. It's a neat car allright, but hearing the tales of parts searches (compared to the As) is scarry. He does have a bit of trouble keeping up with the As in the hills though.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Popeye31

There around you just have to look for them most have been hot roded but there are a few still in there original form.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
There's a 29 Chevy 4-door sedan that cruises with us sometimes. It's a neat car allright, but hearing the tales of parts searches (compared to the As) is scarry. He does have a bit of trouble keeping up with the As in the hills though.
Wow, that surprises me. I think the horsepower on the 1929's were like 48 horses (rated 50 horse in 1931) compared to the Model-A's 40 horses. Granted the Chevrolet was about 150 lbs heavier, but I was thinking they had a 3.80-something rear axle ratio. With 20% more horsepower than the Model A, and a little stronger gear ratio to compensate for the slight amount of additional weight, there is no reason in the world why your friend's car should be struggling to keep up with y'all. In reality, it should be the other way around!

Let me tell a little story that happened when I was a kid that I still remember to this day. In the mid to late 60's, there was a man (-actually a really old man!) named Hilliard Duncan in the Houston HCCA club that had a '29 Chev. Brougham (like pictured below) that would drive his car everywhere all over the state of Texas to tours and club events. I remember as plain as day him getting ready to go home from a club outing and telling my dad (who had a '31 Roadster) and Bill Coleman ('30 Coupe) "Well boys I'll see you later." My dad and Bill said we'll be behind you. Mr. Duncan replied, "I don't think so boys. When I get to the top of that overpass, that will be the last you see of me." Well, my dad and Bill weren't buying into that nonsense whatsoever so we all loaded up and left together with my dad leading the way and me "ridin' shotgun". Guess what, true to his word as soon as we all crested that overpass, Mr. Duncan pulled around us in the passing lane and then started fading off into the distance. That old Chevy would cruise effortlessly at 60mph ...and he could push it to 65 if need be. He drove that car to many Texas Tours and club outings where others would put their cars on a trailer. THAT little episode was the main reason my dad purchased his '31 Landau Phaeton. (if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07PIC5.JPG (129.9 KB, 89 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
Bruce Adams

I agree that Chevy's are a rare breed.
The MAFC of Long Island has 300 memberships and about that many Model A's.
We have an easy sixty Model A's at local parades and such.
The Thursday night weekly cruise-in near me usually has a dozen Model A'sl
I saw my FIRST original Chevy of the period last week.
It looked a lot like a Model A and I was impressed with it, but it was like seeing a really rare bird.
I have heard the rarity of survivor Chevy's has to do with their use of wooden frames.

Some of our cars two weeks ago on a rainy March tour on Long Island.
Yes, its a REAL McMANSION.
An 1865 home the residents wouldn't let Mickey tear down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy(2)ofIMG_5353.JPG (64.4 KB, 67 views)
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
ctlikon0712

I saw two Chevy's in Bedford PA. at the Fall Foliage Festival this past year. There were some nice cars in the parade, including an old Oldsmobile, even a REO Speed Wagon! Here are a few pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2148s.jpg (89.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2150s.jpg (97.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2151s.jpg (76.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2152s.jpg (106.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2153s.jpg (75.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2160s.jpg (83.4 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2161s.jpg (78.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 04-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
I saw two Chevy's in Bedford PA. at the Fall Foliage Festival this past year. There were some nice cars in the parade, including an old Oldsmobile, even a REO Speed Wagon! Here are a few pics.

What is the large cylinder mounted to the firewall with copper lines going to it? Vacuum canister?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
theHIGHLANDER

That cylinder is a fuel pump.

Long ago, dad and I bought a 29 Chevy 2dr with absolutly ZERO RUST. Not a hole or a pit on the sheet metal. Lots of original paint too. It also had almost ZERO WOOD left in it! The body was in pieces, and raising a family dad quickly realized what a big project it would have become to re work. Still the metal was so clean there was a decent profit when he sold it. We stripped and painted 1 fender on it. No rust, no dents. Ranks right up there with the easiest refinishes in my career.
theHIGHLANDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
DGNY

When my dad bought our first and second '31 A Tudors in the summer of 1953, he regaled me with stories of his '30 Chevy coach that he bought in '31or '32. He claimed it was indeed a quick car and far smoother than either of our two As. Said it would do over 70 mph. His dad, my grandfather, had had a '31 Chevy that inspired my dad to get his '30.

A friend of mine in high school had a '31 Chevy and it would blow the doors off my A. Embarrassing! But even in the Fifties in upstate NY, there were few Chevys.
DGNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
ctlikon0712

I'm not sure, but it looks like a vacuum operated draw filter. The fuel tanks are apparently in the rear and lower than the carb. so instead of a pump, they use engine vacuum? Anyone else? In one pic it looks like the owner tee's off to go inside with a gage....
Old 04-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
marc hildebrant

My first car was a 1933 chev coupe. The interior was original and looked pretty nice (Bought it in 1967). It makes my 1931 Ford look primative.

Of all the Chevy's , my favorite is the 1932 model. I real classic.

Sadly, I sold the car in 1976.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlikon0712 View Post
Thanks for sharing these great pics!
These cars pictured were older than many of our As , and is some ways ahead of Ford even the As! Yeah their downfall, IMO, was wood but look at the better ride, at the OHV head, fuel storage/delivery, and those beautiful disc wheels(I still have couple of those). I had my '30 Chev engine rebuilt short block by Egge and it ran quiet as a 'singer sewing maching' ! 'Restored' the wood ('30 bidness coupe) as a amatuer wood carver..never again !
As to 'where have they gone'...same as As ...for the survivors! They are stored away in people's garages/sheds/barns,etc, . In about 1965 or so, we started a Chev club here in the San Fernando Valley. With about 300 members, it's the only club that I've ever belonged to. Still have NOS parts and club roster, patches, jacket and dozens of new chevy club books ..re: 4/6 cyls. If anyone were curious about classier styling of one or other, I would refer you to look at the 1932 Chev coupe, compared to the vaunted 1932 Ford coupe. I've owned both Ford/Chev and lovem both!
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
ford1

a lot of modela's and t's were gobbled up by the two world wars, chevys are built like a boat, wood skelton with metal tacked to it, most of the wood in a ford a or t was there to tack upholstery and things to. a friend of mine is restoring a 35 master delux, it has 4 suicide doors , the body is metal but every thing else is wood, package shelf,seats, door supports, and every thing else inside the body is wood, the door hinges are screwed to wood in the supports, the body setteled 1/4" from rear window to the front wind shield when he removed the center door support, i had a body man tell me he gets paid by the tacks he has to remove and replace when when restoring the old chevys, the last time i check about a year and a half ago the body wood kit was $8500
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #19
Richard Wilson

I know a man in the Asheville area that has a 27 Chevrolet 4 dr sedan with a brand new rebuilt engine for sale for $3,000. He has more than that in the engine. It needs new wood (which Classic Wood sells). PM me if you want the guys phone number.

One major problem with the early Chevrolets as told to me by men that were around back when the 20's and 30's cars were nearly new is that the early Chevrolets were very prone to breaking rear axles. One man told me that his Chevrolet broke a rear axle while sitting overnight in the driveway.

My next project is to restore my 1928 Chevrolet fire truck with less than 4,000 miles.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #20
Karl

A Lot in New Zealand. They seem to hold up very well in our climate and after the Model A probaby the most common car in the Vintage Car Club.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote