Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2021, 05:09 PM   #1
Greg Jones

Default Dual Sidemounts on a Cabriolet 68B

Thought I would toss this question out here. I have a 68B Cabriolet and want to put a trunk on the back end. Right now, that is where the spare tire rides and I don't like extending the trunk brackets out behind the spare tire. So I was thinking of going with dual sidemounts (different fenders, I won't cut into my non-welled fenders). That would get rid of the spare in the back and allow mounting of a trunk that wouldn't look like it was hanging out too far. Hopefully that makes sense.

I have read various posts about the downside of dual mounts, such as them crowding the door opening and the engine bay. Not to mention an extra tire to buy. I think they look cool and suppose it's mainly a matter of preference. So I guess my question is, has anyone converted to dual sidemounts and regretted it, and if so, why?
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Dual Sidemounts on a Cabriolet 68B

It is why Baskin-Robins makes 32 flavors!
Side mounts are just in the way of entry-exit, the engine compartment and run the cost up.
I’m also the anti-rumble seat grumpy old man!

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 11-09-2021 at 06:42 PM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #3
old ugly

i have just added the left side mount on my tudor and am working on the right one, have the frame bracket installed, waiting for the well.

on the 28 tudor it affects how open the doors go. i am 6' 195lb and have no issues getting in or out, not to mention that i am also old.
i have no issues with access to the engine compartment, still way easier than a modern car

here is one option i was toying with and leaving the spare on the rear, because like you, i think the trunk hanging way off the back looks goofy. i was going to build the trunk so the spare was on the back of the trunk instead of in front of the trunk, i think that looks better. the problem is no one supplies that set up so you would have to build it.

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
MrBruce

Old Ugly
The Keri Keen Trunk
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:59 PM   #5
McMimmcs

I have a 1929 Cabriolet with side mounts on both side and trunk on rear and it looks sharp.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:06 PM   #6
antiquepa

Got side mounts on my 31 roadster, no problem working on car or entering it, the wind-wings are more of a problem getting in the car..I would'nt change a thing!! I like the look.
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 05:42 AM   #7
ronn

Greg, go for it! you like the looks and should just do it.

interesting on the kari keen trunk, but good luck finding a nice trunk with the brackets.
I sold a tudor with that setup and am sorry I didnt pull the trunk.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
TomBragaw

I have dual side mounts on my 1930 68B neither interfere with the door operation.
TomBragaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
old ugly

don't hesitate.
get them on there.

after the first one they go a lot quicker. you are not scared to cut the second time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_0182.jpg (47.2 KB, 43 views)

my old father-in-law told me. "listen close when people tell you how to do stuff they may know something. then do it the way you want."
Old 11-12-2021, 09:16 PM   #10
gary678*

I have a 1930 Cabriolet 68B with dual side mounts. NEVER a problem with entering doors or engine compartment; makes the car look sharp! GD
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:25 PM   #11
al's28/33

I love my dual side mounted phaeton, no issues with access to front seat, no issues with engine access either. Makes you feel like you're driving a bigger car than the Model "A" really is...… and it brings you more attention, you don't see any modern teslas with sidemounts, do you ?????
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #12
Don Turley

The side mounted spare tires are not a problem for entry and exit on the 1930-31 models. However, they severely limit the entry and exit on the 1928-29 models. In my opinion, side mounted spare tires interfere with access to the engine compartment. But, if you have a perfect running Model A and seldom need to access the engine, then that should not be a problem.
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:59 PM   #13
old ugly

i would rather work in the engine compartment of a 28 model A that has side mounts than work in the engine compartment of my wife's MGA that doesn't have side mounts.

Old 11-14-2021, 11:23 AM   #14
Bluedevil

I have a '30 68B with dual side mounts. Doors and engine access are not a problem. The wheels/tires can be difficult to put in and take out. The mounting bracket has to be correctly aligned and in some cases modified. They loo great, go for it.
Bluedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #15
Clem Clement

My avatar has 2 side mounts. I fill the tires knowing I have to de-air them to remove them from the mounts. I mount tire mirrors on the tires with a small convex mirror on the Tire mirror. I can see much better to the rear. Plus it looks gooder.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #16
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
The side mounted spare tires are not a problem for entry and exit on the 1930-31 models. However, they severely limit the entry and exit on the 1928-29 models. In my opinion, side mounted spare tires interfere with access to the engine compartment. But, if you have a perfect running Model A and seldom need to access the engine, then that should not be a problem.
What problem with engine access? I have a '30 Tudor with Driver's sidemount, and have both removed the starter and the steering gear with no issues.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Turley View Post
Our '30 Dlx. Roadster was over-deluxed in the 70's like everybody was doing then, when this car was restored, meaning they slapped a RH fender mount spare on the car.

I actually prefer the look of a stock '31 Dlx. Roadster with the rear mounted spare over a '30 Dlx. with fender mounts. That is just my preference means nothing. The factory photos of a '31 Dlx. Roadster look a lot nicer, the car isn't all glugged up with brick-a-brack in those photos. But you WILL notice the '31 Dlx. Roadster in the 20,000,000 Model A national tour does have dual sidemounts so Ford must have been pushing them.

I don't notice them interfering with getting in and out of the car, and I have to admit when fooling with the carb. I rest my left elbow on that spare
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:58 PM   #18
Oldbluoval

What problem with engine access? I have a '30 Tudor with Driver's sidemount, and have both removed the starter and the steering gear with no issues.

So you removed the starter and sector without removing the side mount spare?
Are a contortionist or hang from the rafters upside down?
I can’t do it!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote