Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
mjconnel

Default 1932 Ford Model B seals

Replacing the front seals on my stock 32 Ford pickup, the ones that i purchased and that i think are called for are all metal, no rubber as in later model seals. The fit doesn't seem right, the inner ring of the metal seal presses tight on the bearing and it appears this may inhibit free spinning. The hub was disassembled when I got the truck and the original seal is not available. This is my first restoration project and i am having a great time, but stuck and have not been able to find much reference to bearing seals. any suggestions would be great. thanks Mike
mjconnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: 1932 Ford Model B seals

Any pictures? If you put your general in your profile someone might be able to drop by and help or point you to someone that can help.

Does this help any: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...wheel_to48.jpg ? The illustration is from the green Bible where you can find what the parts are based on the numbers shown.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 11-30-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:31 PM   #3
DavidG

There are no front wheel bearing seals in the traditional sense on '32-'34 Ford passenger cars and commercial vehicles; they weren't introduced until the '35 model year. The metal rings that you are referring to aren't seals at all, but rather primitive grease baffles and spacers for the inner wheel bearing. They normally do not impede the bearings' function.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
mjconnel

Thank you for the quick response, the seals i installed seem to be just as you said baffles. After doing a considerable amount of research and reading your reply i am confident they are the right ones. i was concerned there was no clearance between the metal seal ring and the front of the bearing. i may be able to ease the baffle ring out a little and provide a small amount of clearance. Thanks again Mike
Old 12-01-2018, 12:43 AM   #5
mjconnel

Charlie thank you for your response, the link was helpful and I will print it out. i have updated my profile and will include a photo. First time in a forum, hopefully this is the proper way to respond. Mike