Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
FrankWest

Default replacing fuel pump diaphragm on a model B 1933

My fuel pump stopped working, I am in the process of removing the pump to install the new diaphragm. Removed the 2 bolts and the fuel pump is really stuck on the block tight. and suggestions? I want to be careful not to damage the pump. Can I do the replacement with the fuel pump body attached to the block? awkward.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: replacing fuel pump diaphragm on a model B 1933

I doubt it. I would take a plastic mallet and GENTLY tap it side to side............Gently.
Not responsible if you ruck it up.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 03:50 PM   #3
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
I doubt it. I would take a plastic mallet and GENTLY tap it side to side............Gently.
Not responsible if you ruck it up.
Paul in CT
I sprayed gibbs oil around the contact points..maybe after several days the oil will seep into the gasket allowing removal? If not, then I will use the plastic hammer head.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:46 PM   #4
Krylon32

I had one like that and I have a thin sharp stainless scraper in my tool box and I took it and gently tapped on it under the base and the pump popped loose. Cleaned off the old gasket material with a scraper and wire brush being careful to get no crap in the motor.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #5
Newc

After market B fuel pumps often do not have repairable check valves. I just noticed that I have three varieties of B pumps and only some have the drain petcock. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
FrankWest

slightly preyed downward with piece of wood and it popped off. The Gibbs oil finally soaked in and gentle preying with wood broke the contact. Great to avoid hitting the delicate casting.
Old 11-21-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
sugarmaker

Frank,
Good job being patient with getting the stuck fuel pump off the block. I try very hard not to break things!
If it is like my 32 fuel pump??, I got a kit from Snyder's. Maybe the same kit as from Renner's Corner? Was real happy with the kit. It was interesting to learn that the upper fuel chamber is the same as a sediment bowl. Catching things from the tank. Did you open the petcock to see if fuel was coming out? I had the line from the tank plug twice. Also learned that the materials in the new rebuild kits are compatable with pump gas.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 07:14 PM   #8
tubman

Another good reason not to go crazy with sealers and adhesives on these cars. Proper surface clean and prep and a good gasket is usually sufficient.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #9
FrankWest

You're right.. I will add nothing to the new gasket, maybe a little grease? so that I can get it off again easily. One question. I removed the 8 screws holding the pump and diaphram togther, Can't separate? Do I have to unscrew the large brass Fitting off center in the top of the pump under the screen? The top bowl was full of black debries.
Old 11-22-2021, 03:09 PM   #10
FrankWest

I got the pump apart. The diaphram looks ok but I am replacing it any way with a new one. What is that brass fitting with slot in it used for, can't loosen the fitting.

anyone have a detailed drawing of the pump, want to make sure everything was assembled properly in the first place. I wonder where all that sediment came from, originally I thought it was pieces of the rubber diaphram..It was not gritty but actually looked like rubber? maybe it was from the rubber feeder hose from the copper fuel line? Maybe I should replace the hose?

Last edited by FrankWest; 11-22-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:22 PM   #11
DavidG

There are two disc valves in the upper housing of the pump, one beneath the brass stud that the acorn nut holding the stamped top on upper housing and the other disc valve is beneath the big slotted brass fitting. Likely at least some of the sediment is from your gas tank. Unless your inlet hose is perfect, replace it.

There is a detailed illustrations of the B fuel pump (same pump as on a '33 or '34 four) in the 1932 Service Bulletins as well as assembly instructions along with lots of other useful service information on the fours. Inexpensive reprints show up on ebay and Amazon frequently or you can buy a reprint from most era parts suppliers.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote