Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2021, 08:19 AM   #1
Ramblin Reck

Question '39 Ford: Replacing Original Hood Brackets and Hood Arm & Spring Supports

I plan on enlisting some help to remove the original hood brackets and also the original hood support arm & spring brackets on my 1939 Deluxe Convertible and replace with new ones. Just wondering if any one has done this procedure and can recommend the best way to go about it. Hood does not close properly and completely and I have been told that is most probably due to the hood brackets, not the support arms. Since it will not stay open without extra support in the form of a stick being added, I plan to replace both brackets and spring supports Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
Ramblin Reck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
glennpm

Default Re: '39 Ford: Replacing Original Hood Brackets and Hood Arm & Spring Supports

Good guidance in this thread. 19Fordy's post #3 is good for just the hood.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172377

"It's been a while, but when I installed my hood (by myself) I think I did the "following with the hood springs already bolted in place on the cowl.
Also, the fenders, grille and related sheet metal were already bolted in place as I had removed the hood to replace the engine.
1. Place a very thick bed spread of folded blanket on top of the cowl vent between the windshield and the back edge of the hood.
2. Place the hood on the car very gently.
3. Raise the front of the hood up and hold it up with a broom stick.
4. Very carefully lift one rear corner of the hood and attach the 2 little arms on one side of the hood. Then do the same with the other side of the hood.
5. Then bolt the spring arms to the hood.

Of course, it's easier if you have a helper.
Don't forget to use the correct hood bolts and shoulder bolts, otherwise you will damage your hood if the bolts are too long."

Glenn
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
Floyd

Default Re: '39 Ford: Replacing Original Hood Brackets and Hood Arm & Spring Supports

Based on my experience with a '40 pickup which I admit may not be the same as a 39, worn out original parts are way better than new ones. The repos will make a hard job impossible. Rebuild/ rebush straighten etc you originals and with new proper bolts you are ready to start a difficult project. Kube has all the experience in the world, so do what he says. Be prepared to walk away from the project when frustration sets in and try again the next day.
been there , done that
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Based on my experience with a '40 pickup which I admit may not be the same as a 39, worn out original parts are way better than new ones. The repos will make a hard job impossible. Rebuild/ rebush straighten etc you originals and with new proper bolts you are ready to start a difficult project. Kube has all the experience in the world, so do what he says. Be prepared to walk away from the project when frustration sets in and try again the next day.
been there , done that
After all of my years doing this, I believe that this should be the NUMBER ONE rule for this hobby (and all of the others).

Take a break; it'll help.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 06:21 PM   #5
Newc

I understand that the originals in any shape are far superior to the reproduction items on this job. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote