Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
WHN

Default Bone Stock or Modified?

What and why? I have for many years wondered why some Model A owners feel the call to add all kinds of things to their cars.

I’m a stock from the factory guy. No jewelry or speed parts.

Honest question. What do you guys like to see and why?

I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to this question. Just interesting conversation.

Enjoy the upcoming holiday.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #2
jb-ob

Default Re: Bone Stock or Modified?

If you are the kind a guy who has to stand out at the show, be unique and restore your car correctly. Novel idea !

Absolutely, positively must have 'improvements', check out the break down tent at a National Meet before wasting your money.

My $.02, your mileage might differ.
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
jm29henry

Adjustable valve, leak less water pump safety glass antifreeze new two blade fan are important improvements otherwise an original part works and fit better
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
Mulletwagon

Seat belts and turn signals enhance safety with only a minor ding, IMHO, to originality. I also like 12 volts and negative ground just to ensure I can get a jump. A modern engine and trans crosses the originality rubicon for me since I like the Model A charm of whinning gears and double clutching. No criticism to those that go for the big mods, but for me, those changes compromise the time machine factor.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
denis4x4

Make a visit to the Museum of American Speed in Lincoln, NE and you would be amazed to see the displays of T and A speed equipment that was available during the same time these cars were still in production. The speed equipment industry has been around for almost a 100 years and contributes billions of dollars to the economy. While I have an original 1935 CRAGAR head on one of my A's, there are at least a half a dozen current OHV heads on the market today. I can appreciate a 495 point A. By the same token acquiring period correct speed equipment for an A or T is probably just as difficult as the person looking for OE equipment for a points car if not more so. Try and find a STROMBERG-BENDIX downdraft single barrel intake that was sold through Ford dealers in 1931!
Old 11-22-2020, 06:33 PM   #6
Jim Brierley

I'm with Dennis. I got into the Model A hobby when I started racing the A/B engines years, ago. First drag racing with a club I had joined, it grew from there. I've run, on the Bonneville salt flats and SoCal dry lakes, and have set a few records with my OHV Model B engine. I also have a widebed pickup, a Vicky and a speedster. The PU and Vicky have stock bodies but modified engines and running gear, and are a joy to drive.

If you want to stay original, that's great. If you want to get out on the road, more horsepower and better brakes are needed. As you look at A's in the parking lot at major meets you see more and more modifications.

To each his own!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
What and why? I have for many years wondered why some Model A owners feel the call to add all kinds of things to their cars.

I’m a stock from the factory guy. No jewelry or speed parts.

Honest question. What do you guys like to see and why?

I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer to this question. Just interesting conversation.

Enjoy the upcoming holiday.

I have discussed this very topic on more than just a few occasions. My general feeling is it often deals with the owner's skillset. Many restorers that do Fine-point restorations are not doing it for the competition per se', but the skills that must be obtained to replicate to an exact standard of what something was. Much harder than it appears. On the opposite spectrum, many hobbyists do not possess the skillset to restore the car themselves, so they purchase a car and add things to individualize it as their own. Accessories were common add-ons back in the day, -and continue to be in this day & time.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #8
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Doesn't matter if its stock or modified, just finish it and drive it. Don't get huffy cause it doesn't suit you,its not your car. As a modifier,I use all the basic model a components and don't understand,but don't criticize those who dont..SBC? flathead V8? run what you brung. Purists can't see beyond their Tacoma cream and wide white dream,and whats truly unique is that very few correct as they came from assembly model a fords exist..the clubs are full of folks who think their model a is right and love to tell you yours is wrong..that has nothing to do with cars,that has to do with the human who owns them..opinions are like assholes,everyone has one.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #9
700rpm

When I bought my first car at 16, in 1961, my dad said, keep it like is was built, then you’ll always know -or be able to find out how- it’s supposed to go back together. That car was a 1929 one-owner Tudor. I took dad’s advice, and I still have the car. I have kept it original as close as safely practicable, changing only the glass and adding seatbelts. My turn signals are SmartSignals and can be easily removed to make it look all original on the outside. Next spring, when the weather warms up, I will finally add a RH taillight.

I have always believed that Ford hired the best designers and engineers he could find to develop his cars, and I trust that original knowledge. I’m not smart enough to "improve" on their decisions.

And finally, I look at owning my Model A’s as a caretaker. They are historic artifacts from a bygone era, and should be preserved for future generations. I feel the same way about old houses, boats, trains, tractors, planes and myriad other remnants of times and styles past that will never be dupilicated, even if copied. Yep. i’m just an old troglodyte, born fifty years too late.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 11-22-2020 at 08:35 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:32 PM   #10
Mister Moose

I'm not a purist, but I did stay sorta stock, and took a few liberties.

I started with a very tired but running all black 1930 Tudor on 16" wheels. Came with 19" wheels also, and they balanced out great. Probably was Andalusite blue originally, based on the paint on the fuel tank edges. Seats had been covered in black vinyl, but the frames were all good. I didn't really like the 1930 Tudor colors, and needed some kind of turn signals. I liked the look of cowl lamps.

So I restored with a 31 deluxe Tudor mohair interior and cowl lamps. Used the cowls for front turn signals. Went with Washington Blue and Tacoma Cream, really like that color scheme. I wanted room for a larger trunk at some point, and moved the spare to a side mount. Safety glass all around, of course. Everything else is bone stock, and quite a lot of it is original. The radiator shell and cowl band came out flawless. New England Chrome Plating did great work. The horn was toast, as was the running boards. Added a right tail light.

Any knowledgeable person would know the car is "Not correct" but 99.5% of the people that talk to me have no idea, and they probably don't care. I might be the only side mount Tudor around.

0626091642-00.jpg

So far, I like driving it as it left the factory. As many have mentioned, I like keeping the time machine at 1930. All the parts and colors on the car were being produced by Ford in 1930.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:59 PM   #11
GRutter

Like myself, many of us do not own or aspire to have a fine-point restored vehicle.
I like to drive mine. It's fun, it looks great from a few feet away, and it's "mostly original".

As several have stated, I've added a second brake light. I have a NOS signalstat and will likely add turn signals in the near future. Cast Iron drums and Radial Tires already replace the originals. And the ultimate sin for pickup owners... I have a stainless shell and headlight buckets.

But beyond that, I do try to maintain originality and always looking to improve the vehicle whenever I find something that "isn't right". I have my bucket list as I find original parts. Original Commercial light buckets have been acquired.

I always try to keep in mind that we are only the temporary custodians of these vehicles, to be passed on to the the next generation at some point in time, so don't screw it up.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:51 AM   #12
DBSHELTON

I pretty much like all Model A stock or modified as long as they still have the Banger under the hood. Really appreciate the restored points cars but the best way to appreciate one is to just drive the hell out of them.
DBSHELTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
Bob Bidonde

I wonder why some folks keep their Model A's stock. In a stock configuration, a Model A is not safe to drive in modern traffic. Certainly nobody of sound mind would drive a Model A with an original 2-blade fan, or original lighting, or plate glass windows, or an original radiator, or without outside mirrors. Stretching it a bit, driving a stock Model A without turn signals is hazardous.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #14
Licensed to kill

The only thing that baffles me about why someone wants a detailed points restoration or someone wants a heavily modified car that is nearly unrecognizable (and of course everything in between) is why does anyone care what someone else likes. Some people get their panties in bunch when they see a car that is not how THEY prefer them and will make disparaging remarks to ensure that the owner is aware of their disapproval. The car that I refer to as "stock" is not really since i added the second tail light and signals and recently tubular shocks. The only reason I went with the tubular is that the cost of good originals was prohibitive IMO. However, it has 19" bias plys, mechanical brakes, 6V, generator, rebuilt but stock engine. The reason I don't upgrade these things??, I want to experience what these cars were like. However, I also have two hot rodded with SBC's TH350trans, yeta yeta yeta blah blah blah also. I'm sure that a few reading this are shaking their head when reading that i run bias ply tires and mechanical brakes thinking that this is unsafe. I disagree. I know that there are others whos blood pressure spiked when they read "SBC". I don't care. I do what I like with MY cars and when someone has a car with features that i DON'T like, it doesn't matter because it's not MY car. If it makes the owner happy, awesome. If it is well done, i will comment as such but refrain from commenting on "taste" as that is a personal thing. If you wouldn't tell a stranger that you think his wife should lose weight or change her hair colour, don't tell them that they should run a banger or 16" wheels on their model A. JMO.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:16 AM   #15
Bob-A

Cool Re: Bone Stock or Modified?

I try and stay as stock as possible on my "A". Safety up-grades are just that
as they are for the safety of me and other drivers. As far as "accessory" add-ons I try and stay era correct if not year correct. With the add-ons being original and not reproduction.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #16
30 Closed Cab PU

Well said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. "Can't we all just get along?"
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #17
Purdy Swoft

I mostly use modifications that don't show or stand out as modifications . I run a stock appearing higher compression head that gives more power for hills . I seldom drive the model A over 50 mph . Model A engines are usually starving for better fuel distribution . I run an after market Trojan intake manifold that runs two model B Zenith carburetors . I use a model A camshaft that was reground to Winfield 3/4 race specs by Bill Stipe , I use adjustable tappets with this cam . I opened up the intake ports for a little bit better breathing . I did a very simple 12 volt conversion and use the Pertronix 40,000 volt flame thrower coil . I use a new model B distributor cam that gives better dwell . I run a lighter model B flywheel that takes some weight off the main bearings . The lighter flywheel gives quicker throttle response . I use a new balanced two blade aluminum fan that resists slinging a fan blade through the radiator or hood . I completely gutted the original style muffler to remove some back pressure . I run either a bronze or aluminum cam gear to reduce the possibility that I will ever need to replace the original type timing gear again . I run the original generator on 12 volts with a Fun Projects 12 volt voltage regulator . I use a heavy duty eight fins per inch radiator and a leakless water pump that I built .

At car shows , I mostly only reveal the drivers side of the engine so that my dual updraft setup doesn't show . The dual carbs don't seem to hurt gas mileage .

I use reproduction stainless steel bumpers that should last . I also installed a right hand tail lamp for safety . I also use cast iron brake drums and brake floaters on the front . There are a few other small mods that I have overlooked .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 11-23-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:42 PM   #18
DBrer

I think this is the beauty of the hobby. we all are individuals and make cars that appeal us. the variety of restoration or how original the car is up to you. I enjoy looking at the cars and the ideas the owner has. We all enjoy the cars, some more than others.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #19
wwirz

I like to keep mine as close to OEM as possible. I have made upgrades to a leakless water pump. If I can ever lick the condenser issue, the car would be perfect. I like the original FORD design and I know I can get parts. Thinking about turn signals. Plan on installing seat belts in the spring of 2021. I also do not drive my A over 40.
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 05:47 PM   #20
CarlG

I'm pretty much with what Purdy said "modifications that don't show or stand out as modifications". Safety & creature comforts are paramount, as long as they do not alter the original look of the Model A.

At car shows, I only open the hood on request.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote