Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2023, 02:41 PM   #1
Rusty's

Arrow 1930 model A sedan

I'm looking to purchase a 1930 model A sedan but I've heard that there are are two versions one is a rare shorty version how do you tell the difference? Does anyone know the wheel base distance? The spare tire is on the driver's front fender.
Rusty's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 02:58 PM   #2
DJ S

Default Re: 1930 model A sedan

Hello Rusty,

A little more information on what sedan you are looking at would help us provided a better answer.

I am assuming you are referring to the difference between a "Tudor" and a "Victoria". Conduct a google on the two terms and the visual differences between the two will be noticeable right away.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 03:00 PM   #3
nkaminar

All Model A's have the same wheel base, 100 inches.

Not sure what you are looking for. There are two door sedans, Tudor, and four door sedans, Fordor. There is a Fordor version called a "town sedan" which is more luxurious. The Fordor either has side windows in the rear, called a 3 window sedan, or the rear section is blocked out, called a two window sedan or a blind back. There are also slant windshield sedans made late in the production that a lot of people like. There were more Tudors made than the Fordors so they are generally lower cost. Also, the seats fold forward to let the rear passengers in, so some people think the seats are not that comfortable.

I am not the expert on the various sedan models. I'll let others take over from here.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 03:30 PM   #4
Rusty's

It's a two door. Thank you
Old 03-14-2023, 03:32 PM   #5
Rusty's

It's a two door didn't know if the wheel distance would be different.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:02 PM   #6
nkaminar

There are some nice Tudors out there. The Tudor is lighter and generally lower price to buy. Share what you find with the Barn.
Old 03-14-2023, 05:06 PM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

Pictures, pictures, pictures, Rusty! Take photos of the car's exterior from all angles, the undercarriage, the engine compartment from both sides and the interior. The guys will then be able to advise you whether to pursue this one as a first-time Model A owner or stop you from getting in over your head financially or project-wise. These cars can be a death trap and bottomless money pit if you pick the wrong one!
Tudor Sedans were the most popular Model A body style in those four years of production (1928-31), so a boatload of them were made - and survived. You said the one you are looking at is a 1930 model. Well, maybe yes, maybe no. Only a few small details distinguish a 1930 from a 1931 Model A. There were about twice as many 1930 Model A's made as 1931's, so take that into consideration when talking price. Because 1/4 of all Model A's produced were Tudor Sedans, don't let the seller convince you that they are "rare". 1,500,000 1928-1931 Tudor Sedans produced do not qualify as rare, especially since their survival rate is so high. They are neat cars and fun to drive with the family loaded inside, but they are not rare. Should this car turn out to be misidentified, however, and is actually a true 1931 Deluxe Tudor Sedan survivor, then you can consider it much more desirable than the run-of-the-mill Tudor. The presence of a side-mounted spare tire, white wall tires, a radiator stone guard, Flying Quail radiator cap and other chrome goodies does NOT make it a Deluxe Tudor. The differences between a true 1931 Deluxe Tudor and the standard 1931 model are mostly limited to interior appointments that may or may not still be present. Cowl lights, which seemingly every 1930-31 Model A now has, also do not a Deluxe model make.
Anyway, don't plunk your cash down until the guys here have seen the photos and have advised you. Their input could save you a ton of money and heartaches down the line.
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 03-15-2023 at 01:05 AM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:27 PM   #8
frank mcdaniels

The rarer shorty version you refer to could be a Victoria which is a Tudor sedan . Indeed rarer and worth much more .
frank mcdaniels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:28 PM   #9
Gene F

Take your photos on low resolution if you want to be able to upload them here.

Marshall nailed it.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:43 PM   #10
Bill Cilker

Victorias were made from November 1930 to December 1931 and only as a deluxe vehicle.
They were produced only with a slanting front windshield and 2 body configurations. First a Leather back/top version and then a Steel back version.
All model A Vehicles used he same wheel base, except for very few custom made ones. The AA truck used 2 different wheel bases.
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:53 PM   #11
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cilker View Post
Victorias were made from November 1930 to December 1931 and only as a deluxe vehicle.
They were produced only with a slanting front windshield and 2 body configurations. First a Leather back/top version and then a Steel back version.
All model A Vehicles used he same wheel base, except for very few custom made ones. The AA truck used 2 different wheel bases.
Just to confuse things when first introduced they were called the Victoria Coupe.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:21 PM   #12
Randy in ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
All Model A's have the same wheel base, 100 inches.

-
Actually it's 103.5 inches.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:45 AM   #13
ronn

Victorias, as in Bills avatar, have a value of at least 1.5 times the tudor sedan.

Much rarer then the tudor, but obviously both nice cars. The victoria has a nice large door, for ease of entering and exiting.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:40 AM   #14
rotorwrench

To the upper end body manufacturers, the Victoria is generally considered a long coupe model more like a sedan coupe in later years. They were referred to as Victoria Sedans by Ford but they had larger front seats and less room in the back than a Tudor Sedan. It beat riding in a rumble seat in inclement weather.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:56 PM   #15
Rusty's

Thank you so much for your help and knowledge on this. I drug my feet to long and he sold the car today. But I would rather be safe than sorry $$$$ still in my pocket not knowingwhat to look for there will be more. It was a three owner car it was complete everything was there. $5500.00. Now I know to take alot of pictures and put them on here .Thank you again Rusty
Old 03-15-2023, 07:46 PM   #16
Marshall V. Daut

Don't despair, Rusty. This one got away, but at only $5,500, the worst Model A in the history of the world would not have been snapped up. As the old expression goes: there'll be another streetcar coming along. Even though this Tudor (or Victoria?) was bought by someone else, it's still possible to salvage a sunken ship. If the seller will permit it, take photos of the car so that the guys here can positively I.D. the body style and tell you whether you missed a good one or dodged the bullet. Fear not: There'll be another Model coming down the pike that is destined to be yours. The odds are in your favor. You don't HAVE to buy the next one. The seller HAS to sell his car. Get the parallel here? You are in the driver's seat, as it were. Take your time and choose the right Model A for your budget and mechanical skill level. One is out there just waiting for you! You'll find it.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:46 AM   #17
nkaminar

Good sources of cars are the local clubs. Join the Model A club in your location and ask around. Usually the cars are at fair prices and in good shape. You will have to join MARC and/or MAFCA to join your local club. The local club is also a good source for information and help. They can evaluate a car for you. MARC and MAFCA have listings for local clubs with contact information. Google for their sites.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:16 AM   #18
ronn

not many 5500 model As in my neck of the woods............

chassis alone bring 2-3k easy
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote