Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2021, 09:08 PM   #1
Ian NZ

Default 1932 Carburetor adaptor

In the Canadian parts catalogue there is listed and a picture of a --- 18- 9435
Adaptor - carburetor to manifold (used with dual down draft carburetor on single opening valve chamber cover) ---- The model A-1928- 3-- 4 cyl carburetor and the 1934 -38 dual throat carburetor is listed but they do not have the 1932 - 33 - V8 models carburetors listed . It seems to me that the Canadians recognize the adaption of the dual down draft carburetor to the 1932 - 33 Ford V8' model's there is lot of those 1933-34 V8 models around with Stromberg 48 carburettors on.anyway. This is a easy adaption as everything clips or bolts on and the aircleaner fits straight on .
It seems to me that this adaption is Ford approved in Canada anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1932 - 33 part no 18-9485 carburettor adaptor..jpg (23.1 KB, 34 views)
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: 1932 Carburetor adaptor

Sure would love to have one now!!! At least I could be driving my car rather than trying to find a "good" DL Carburetor
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 02:32 PM   #3
hop up

The one I have doesn’t have a ford part number on it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-11-2021, 07:25 PM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Sure would love to have one now!!! At least I could be driving my car rather than trying to find a "good" DL Carburetor
If it was me, I'd switch over to a 34 manifold and run a Stromberg 97 or 48. Obviously, you'd need to run the correct generator . . . which is not a bad idea anyway (cooling is better).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #5
Ian NZ

Quote:
I have just found out if you go into '' Carburettor Adaptors Secrets of Speed'' or Email [email protected] have got the correct adaptors. You can then have the original single post manifold ,generator and other components etc you only have to change the carburetor, refer to the photo of my set up on my 3/W. On the engine I was having a lot of trouble with the D/L Carburettors even after having them recondioned hard to start at times, cutting out when you slowed down or went around corners. surging, they were not reliable so I fitted a adaptor and a 1934 Stromberg 48 carburettor, what a difference I noticed performance improved straight away. easier starting. no stalling it was a different car to drive. I know now I can go on a long trip and I will be able to get back home o/k. I had to be towed home sometimes before.
As far as I am concerned if the adaptor is in the Canadian Parts book it is Canadian Ford approved item, because the D,L carburettors would be causing a lot of poblems throughout all the countries that the 1932-33 Ford V8 models were exported too like Belgium, France etc were replacing the D.L. carburettors with solex ones and there were other makes of carburettors available at other countries as well to replace the D.L. carburettors.
rockfla if you want any more information just let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stromberg 48 2.jpg (77.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Ford approved.jpg (49.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-12-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
rockfla

Thanks Ian NZ
Haven't had as much of the same issues with the DL.....till now!!!! I will mull over and look at what they have to offer.

Bored&Stroked
Our 32 is freshly done and am trying to get it as 100% 32 correct and 100% German correct as possible.......BUT to the point that I want to be able to drive it "reliably" too. SO would like to be able to put it back to "32" correct fairly quick and easily!!!!
Old 01-12-2021, 08:29 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

One thing you have to remember is: The intake manifold is of the "log" design, which has poor low end drivability regardless what carb is bolted to it.
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #8
rockfla

Ian NZ

have you got a picture of the other side how the throttle and choke rods attach? OR was there any issue you found attaching them???
Old 01-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
jimTN

My 32 Tudor was a Canadian car and had that adapter when I got it. I have since changed over to a later manifold.
jimTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #10
Pat/Ohio

At one time I was searching for a carb adapter for my original '32 V8 intake and found that I could use an adapter made by Trans-Dapt. TRANS-DAPT 2025 Carburetor Adapter. These are listed on Ebay as well as other places like Summit. It is a universal design meaning you would need to shave some of the "extra" metal casting to match the base on your intake and carb. Also the Stromberg carb should have the "D" shaped base instead of the chevron style base. I also found that the "Secrets of Speed" adapters were not made for the '32 intake. The 2 mounting bolts on the intake are different than their adapters.

I ended up switching to the '34 intake which has the smooth look of the '32 & '33 intake. I had Uncle Max prepare a Stromberg 48 for me. I have used this combination for about 10 years now with no problems.

Good Luck,
Pat
Pat/Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 04:57 PM   #11
Ian NZ

Quote:
Ian NZ

have you got a picture of the other side how the throttle and choke rods
attach? OR was there any issue you found attaching them???
Rockfla. Photo supplied Yes there is a bit of work to be done to attach the two rods, on the throttle rod I made my length from centre to centre of each end 11-5/8 inch.
I cut a rod I had here and put a adjustable end on it as you can see on the photo.
The Choke rod I cut the rod under the dashboard and fitted a adjustable sleeve with small 3/16inch set screws to it and cut and bent the rod to suit.
On the carburettor adaptor you would have to find three 5/16 inch studs to screw into the adaptor and three nuts, check on Secrets of Speed on this. I just removed the old studs out of an old V8 intake manifold.
And you have to make a new fuel pipe too and be carefull what sleeves you use on the ends, there are two types one is used for nylon airlines and the other is for metal pipes they are different shapes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stromberg carburettor linkages.jpg (69.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-12-2021, 05:21 PM   #12
Ian NZ

Quote:
Ian NZ

have you got a picture of the other side how the throttle and choke rods attach? OR was there any issue you found attaching them???
rockfla. Just a point here all the measurements are for R.H.D car