Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
oldredford

Default 6 volt optima

How do you guys secure the optima battery to the battery tray on a 1940 Ford?
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 6 volt optima

It's not a '40, but on my '51, I bought one of those fake battery cases off of eBay, and put the Optima in it, Then I could use the stock hold down hardware. It took a bit of work to get the case to fit to my satisfaction, and I had to lengthen the hold down bolts, but it ended up working pretty well and it looks a lot better than an Optima just sitting there. The case with shipping was almost $100.00. If I was younger, I would look for a scrap battery case to gut and use.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #3
4dFord/SC

I have mine in a Group 2 disguise case, and mount it as normal.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
trainguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
It's not a '40, but on my '51, I bought one of those fake battery cases off of eBay, and put the Optima in it, Then I could use the stock hold down hardware. It took a bit of work to get the case to fit to my satisfaction, and I had to lengthen the hold down bolts, but it ended up working pretty well and it looks a lot better than an Optima just sitting there. The case with shipping was almost $100.00. If I was younger, I would look for a scrap battery case to gut and use.
Thanks for the source,really a slick idea,expensive but I bought one anyway.Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
supereal

I made a wooden box that would fit the tray and hold down. We use bead board for the sides, and routed the cover to resemble the lead-acid type. Painted flat black, most observers don't notice it. I have owned the '47 for twenty years, and installed a new Optima last week. It is only the third one in the car, with the most recent one nine years old. After sitting for six months, it still started the car! Great batteries!
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #6
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
I made a wooden box that would fit the tray and hold down. We use bead board for the sides, and routed the cover to resemble the lead-acid type. Painted flat black, most observers don't notice it. I have owned the '47 for twenty years, and installed a new Optima last week. It is only the third one in the car, with the most recent one nine years old. After sitting for six months, it still started the car! Great batteries!
Do you have a picture of the wood battery cover? Can I assume you used original filler caps? That's right up my alley. I stole the battery out of my AA to use in my panel so I'm gonna tear a page from your book and buy an optima and encase it in wood.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:26 AM   #7
funrunr

It looks so small in the compartment and I was in a hurry to get down the road. I used an old leather belt to original hold down bolts. Definitely not fancy but it's working. Lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (24.0 KB, 47 views)
Old 08-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
CaliforniaBorn36

Do you have the source for the fake battery case? I cannot seem to find a listing.

Thanks
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaBorn36 View Post
Do you have the source for the fake battery case? I cannot seem to find a listing.

Thanks
Here's one: http://www.tartopper.com/
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #10
tubman

I got mine from a seller named "woodyscustomshop" on ebay. Like I said, it's a little expensive and needs some work to make it fit perfectly, but mine turned out real nice. The "tartoppers" site seems to only want to deal with group 24 (12 volt) batteries. Also, be aware, ole' Woody is a little touchy. I gave him a positive review, but mentioned in passing that I thought it a little odd that an empty plastic case cost twice as much as a complete new battery, and he spent a good amount of time and effort telling me that my reviews were "snarky".
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
ford38v8

For a show quality battery having an Optima inside, do it yourself. I haven't seen one from a supplier that makes a perfect replica for the Concourse. I had a Ford Script lead/acid battery repro that went dead on me, from which I made my Optima box. A drill press is handy to cut away the inner ribs, and ABS plastic is available to make the top. Just save the tar from the original battery, and the Ford Script cell connectors for the new. No worries about venting if you cut out the bottom and support the Optima at the correct height to match the top. For those who don't have an old dead correct lead/acid battery, consider the cost of a replica case from a supplier against the cost of buying a new replica battery and cutting it open right from the gitgo. This used to work well for any Ford Script case, but the Optima is now 3/8" taller, so a 2LF battery case is short, requiring a skirt around the bottom. The later 2HF cases work just fine.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
wspiker

Mine, for my '40 Ford, is in an 'original' looking Ford case I purchased through C & G Ford Parts in San Diego (Escondido), CA
wspiker is offline   Reply With Quote