Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-08-2020, 09:43 AM   #21
Kube

Default Re: Columbia tube routing beneath hood '36 Ford

Yesterday, I'd finally had a chance to test drive the recently installed Columbia. Good thing as today, it is currently snowing.

WOW! While I have had these in a number of prewar Fords, all of those were 3:78 differentials. This '36 has the original 4:11 and I believe because of that gearing, the difference I'm experiencing is much more notable than the 3:78 cars.
This one shifts smoothly and quietly. At 55, the engine can no longer even be heard.
I'm thrilled!
Old 05-08-2020, 12:35 PM   #22
KGS

Default Re: Columbia tube routing beneath hood '36 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Yesterday, I'd finally had a chance to test drive the recently installed Columbia. Good thing as today, it is currently snowing.

WOW! While I have had these in a number of prewar Fords, all of those were 3:78 differentials. This '36 has the original 4:11 and I believe because of that gearing, the difference I'm experiencing is much more notable than the 3:78 cars.
This one shifts smoothly and quietly. At 55, the engine can no longer even be heard.
I'm thrilled!
According to the specs I have on the Columbia, AT 55 MPH, with a 4:11 to one ratio in direct drive, you will tach approx. 2827 RPMS. In overdrive, you will tach approx. 2042 RPMS.
I have a 3:78 in my coupe and in overdrive, the RPMS drop a shade below 1900 RPM'S. It's the best addition I've made to my '39.
Ken
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)