Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2017, 03:18 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: Removing 1940 drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
The one pictured clamps to the hub center. The back disk is split to fit behind the wide part of the hub center. The front disk holds the back pieces together. Why is this one not okay?
IF your hubs/drums are actually installed on the axle tapers as tightly as they ARE SUPPOSED TO BE, you would be an extremely lucky man (if the threads on those two hardware store bolts and the female threads in the puller) don't wipe themselves clean. That tool will sometimes remove the LOOSE drums that were never installed tightly-enough as suggested by Ford. Like Clint Eastwood said........."Do you feel lucky"? Everyone with any REAL old Ford experience will tell you the same thing I am! Just look at the strength and heft built into this thing, below. Those threads are designed to be cranked-down on. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 07-28-2017 at 03:38 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #22
grumppyoldman

Is that small round thing a threaded cap that screws onto the axle threads? If so it should be screwed all the way on to the end of the axle or you would destroy the threads on the axle,right? Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-31-2017, 04:26 PM   #23
Dennis Mielke

Thanks everyone for advice. I think my confusion is because now you get the new hubs and drums as separate pieces and the drums slip over the studs and are not sweged in as the older hubs and drums appear to be. I just wanted to change the drums without having to replace the hubs. Looks it the task will be a little more involved.
Dennis Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 04:38 PM   #24
Mart

Hi Dennis, thanks for the feedback. It's good that you have been able to grasp the situation. The replacement parts can be set up like a modern application, where the drum can be removed and the hub left in place. As you now realise, the original parts have to be removed as a unit, and you have to use a purposely designed puller to do it.

Welcome to the world of early Fords.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:04 PM   #25
Andy

I found that the repo drums I bought did not have a big enough spot for the hub to fit flat on the hubs. I had to grind an eight off the OD of the flange to get the hub to sit flat. I used F100 studs.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote