Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2023, 11:25 AM   #1
Banditorama

Default First real "adventure" in the Model A

Five months after driving this beauty home from the auction house and I've finally feel like I've got her sorted out. I've been putting around town for a while before this, but never ventured more than a few miles from home.

Last week, a grocery store 12 miles away across the river started carrying my favorite beer. Before that, the closest place to buy it was about 50 miles north of me. Only time I would buy a case was when work took up that way. The weather was nice, I had just washed the Model A, and I decided it was the perfect day to go for my longest drive yet.

There's two ways to get across the Ohio, either via the interstate (which isn't an option with its 70mph speed limit) or via an old narrow steel grate bridge. It took me a little bit to work up the courage to take her across that old bridge. Its not a fun bridge to cross in a modern car, it made me real nervous thinking about doing it in this car.

The bridge was finished in 1929 and so was my car. So I figured I'm definitely not the first Model A to cross that bridge, if others made it so can I. I was right, that bridge was nerve wracking. The steel grates pull you every which way and on top of that I was being tailgated by a Toyota Camry the whole way across. The speed limit is 25mph and I probably didn't get much above 15mph or so. I wasn't going to go any faster than that

Made it across then pulled into a parking lot to let the cars behind me pass and then it was smooth sailing from there. Nice pleasant backroad cruise with the car happily purring along at 50mph. Got there, picked up my beer, and embarked on the journey home.

Got lucky on the way back. There was a car behind me, but I guess he could tell I was struggling on that bridge by the way the car was veering back and forth. He stayed back and left me plenty of room the whole way across. Made it home safe and sound

Car ran like a dream. Temps stayed right at 165*f at cruise and 170*f at idle. Engine ran smooth, I wouldn't hesitate to drive this thing all day at 50mph. It feels great after all the work I've put into it, to finally have this thing roadworthy.
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #2
P.S.

Default Re: First real "adventure" in the Model A

Congratulations!! Job well done!

Imagine... When your car was made, it would have been a major crime to possess and transport alcoholic beverages like that. They would have been armed and waiting for you on the other side of that bridge.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 02:34 PM   #3
abachman3

And to top it off, a beer run is always worth the reward for the trip!
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 03:56 PM   #4
Big hammer

Your sentence “ got lucky on the way back” , this is a loaded comment! When I was a lot younger and on a date. ;-)
Old 10-07-2023, 06:27 PM   #5
Synchro909

There is no doubt that the older style cross ply tyres (I think you guys call them "Bias" ply) are prone to being pulled all over the road. It is no wonder radial ply has taken over. Add in a suspension system that is way over 100 years old and you have the ingredients for a "thrilling" ride that will leave you needing a beer when you get home.
IMO, it's all part of the Model A experience.
My longest single drive (home and back home) was 15,000 miles. It took us a leisurely 4 1/2 months and around the country (Australia is the same size as your lower 48). Your confidence will build over time and you'll find yourself venturing further and further.
Well done!
Old 10-07-2023, 06:46 PM   #6
1crosscut

Soooo, what is your favorite beer???
Old 10-07-2023, 08:40 PM   #7
Banditorama

Favorite beer is anti-hero IPA. I like my beer strong and bitter, just like my coffee.

Lol, Big Hammer. The back seat might be a little cramped,. I've heard Henry designed it that way to discourage that kind of thing
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:02 PM   #8
Pete

You sure wouldn't make it as a booze runner......LOL
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 09:35 PM   #9
Banditorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
You sure wouldn't make it as a booze runner......LOL