Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2024, 03:47 PM   #21
Sprattman

Default Re: 1947 Ford Flathead Clutch Replacement

[QUOTE=petehoovie;2295232]
peteHoovie you've copied photos a couple of times in this thread, but I'm looking for something you're writing on this, but don't see anything. Whatcha trying to say?!! I can't wait!
Sprattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:23 PM   #22
Ggmac

Pull up the cloth seal remnant on the front of the floor board / firewall interface. See if there’s an extra piece that unbolts . I can’t remember if it was my 41 or 46 that had it . If so it’ll give you more room but , remove your u joint . It may require you to slide your trans forward again . Dont misplace the bolt and special washer . That will give you an extra 1”-2” . It should come out , tight but doable. Your clamshell needs to be removed , if I remember.
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:50 AM   #23
slowforty

You may find that the transmission will not slide completely back. the trans hits the crossmember. you have to tilt the transmission to the right to get it to slide all the way out.
I removed my front seat as it gave me more room amd no greasr on the uphostery.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:01 AM   #24
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprattman View Post
19Fordy, it looks like you have a floor pan that extends back, while mine does not go back much at all so have little room to move the transmission back. Rear wheels removed. I hope the photos I post show the issue a little better.
Yes, it does look my floor pan configuration allows for more space for transmission to slide backwards. The 1935-48 CHILTON'S MANUAL says that you should be able to remove your transmission from the top if you slide the rear end back, jack up the rear of the engine, tilt the trans. and lift it out. I also removed the front seat for much easier access, comfort and ease of removal. Be sure to take plenty of photos and take written notes for reassembly. I forgot to install the throwout bearing and had to repeat the entire process again. NOT FUN. Photo shows what the manual says. Cutting and rewelding the floor pan will open an entirely new can of worms. Don't do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6488.jpg (60.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 03-05-2024 at 11:31 AM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:26 AM   #25
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Yes, it does look my floor pan configuration allows for more space for transmission to slide backwards. The 1935-48 CHILTON'S MANUAL says that you should be able to remove your transmission from the top if you slide the rear end back, jack up the rear of the engine and tilt the trans. I also removed the front seat for much easier access, comfort and ease of removal. Be sure to take plenty of photos and take written notes for reassembly. I forgot to install the throwout bearing and had to repeat the entire process again. NOT FUN. Here's what the manual says:

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:32 AM   #26
19Fordy

Thanks Pete.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:55 PM   #27
19Fordy

Sprattman,

From your photos it looks like you might have overstretched your little throwout bearing clutch release spring. Be sure to replace it. Mac Van Pelt has them. Also, make sure your throwout bearing is is tip top condition.