Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2024, 04:21 PM   #1
sdperham

Default Wheels Rotating in Opposite Direction

Recently I reinstalled my transmission in a 1934 truck (smaller frame). I had to back off the rear axle to remove and reinstall the transmission.

I had some difficulty getting the male shaft teeth to align with the female universal knuckle joint. So my son and I lifted the back wheels off the ground a bit and rotated the wheels enough to align the shaft/universal.

Right or wrong, we turned the wheels in small increments either forward and/or backward until we got alignment and the shaft pushed into the universal joint. We also moved wheels independently of each other.

Yesterday, I attempted a test drive to check out the new transmission. However, the truck appears to be "stuck". The transmission wants to engage but the truck doesn't move. It feels like the emergency brake is on (but it's not).

So I just jacked up the back end until the wheels were free. When I move the right wheel, I see the left wheel rotating in the reverse direction. I assume this is bad and the reason the truck is not moving.

Any thoughts on what I might have done to create this problem?

And better yet, what I should do to fix the issue and get them back moving in the common rotation?

All comments are very much appreciated! Shel
sdperham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:29 PM   #2
deuce5wndw

Default Re: Wheels Rotating in Opposite Direction

Sounds like two gears at once in the transmission. Maybe the shift forks weren't engaged in the grove when the top was put back on.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:35 PM   #3
Ggmac

Your differential is working correctly. However thats not what is wrong with your trans .
I hope someone with more trans knowledge chims in
Agree sounds like shifter forks and locked in 2 gears
Ggmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:43 PM   #4
sdperham

You're on to something!

There was some confusion whether the transmission shop did, or did not, intend for me to pull off the shifter housing assembly to fill with gear oil. I assumed (probably incorrectly) they already installed the forks correctly then installed a gasket and "set" the housing.

Now I bet if I pull the housing, I will see the forks aren't engaged in the grove like you suggest. I'm going to pull the housing now and confirm if this is the issue. If so, I will reinstall the housing with the forks in the grove, then install a new gasket.

This would be a great solution and outcome (and lesson learned). Fingers crossed. I'll repost with an answer.
Thank you!!
Old 02-27-2024, 04:57 PM   #5
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdperham View Post
Recently I reinstalled my transmission in a 1934 truck (smaller frame). I had to back off the rear axle to remove and reinstall the transmission.

I had some difficulty getting the male shaft teeth to align with the female universal knuckle joint. So my son and I lifted the back wheels off the ground a bit and rotated the wheels enough to align the shaft/universal.

Right or wrong, we turned the wheels in small increments either forward and/or backward until we got alignment and the shaft pushed into the universal joint. We also moved wheels independently of each other.

Yesterday, I attempted a test drive to check out the new transmission. However, the truck appears to be "stuck". The transmission wants to engage but the truck doesn't move. It feels like the emergency brake is on (but it's not).

So I just jacked up the back end until the wheels were free. When I move the right wheel, I see the left wheel rotating in the reverse direction. I assume this is bad and the reason the truck is not moving.

Any thoughts on what I might have done to create this problem?

And better yet, what I should do to fix the issue and get them back moving in the common rotation?

All comments are very much appreciated! Shel

Hey Shel ...... It may not be as bad as you think. For the two REAR wheels to rotate in opposite directions when turning one wheel on either side is normal because of the spider gears, or what is commonly known as the "differential". This is the magic that allows the two rear wheels to turn at different speeds while going around a corner.

Pull the top shift mechanism. You may likely find the transmission is in two gears at once. Make sure all gears are in neutral and carefully replace the top. You're learning!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:06 PM   #6
ford38v8

I agree, your shifting forks are not engaged, allowing two gears to be locked against each other. As for filling, there is a fill port on the passenger side of the transmission, which effectively sets the correct quantity of fluid. Remove that plug and fill only to that level.
Old 02-27-2024, 05:22 PM   #7
sdperham

Love the quick replies and support!!

I pulled the housing and it looked like the two forks were in fact properly set in the two groves. See the picture where I simply laid the housing on its side as I pulled it.

Are there any particulars on how the gears should be "aligned" when I reset the forks back into the groves and put the housing back on?

Anything look unusual with the gears in the picture? They are all new and were sourced from Van Pelt and installed by a reputable shop in Sacramento Cal.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240227_141022.jpg (37.4 KB, 326 views)
Old 02-27-2024, 05:35 PM   #8
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Love the quick replies and support!!

I pulled the housing and it looked like the two forks were in fact properly set in the two groves. See the picture where I simply laid the housing on its side as I pulled it.

Are there any particulars on how the gears should be "aligned" when I reset the forks back into the groves and put the housing back on?

Anything look unusual with the gears in the picture? They are all new and were sourced from Van Pelt and installed by a reputable shop in Sacramento Cal.
Thanks

Looks like the 2nd-3rd slide is sitting too far toward the rear, partially engaging 2nd gear.

Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 02-27-2024, 05:37 PM   #9
deuce5wndw

The 2nd and third gear synchronizer isn't centered in the hub. Is the shift lever in neutral? Before you put the top back on put it on the ground and see if it will roll.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:12 PM   #10
tubman

Perhaps a mismatch between the transmission top cover and the transmission itself? I agree that the 2nd-3rd slider doesn't look quite right.

It's hard for me to see in the pictures.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:15 PM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:
Thanks

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:18 PM   #12
sdperham

I think I'm following.

Sounds like the larger gear ("second - third slide" connected to grove farthest from engine) needs to be centered so it doesn't engage the second gear below. I've manually pushed that gear toward the center.

Next, it sounds like the gear shifter should be in the neutral position when I install it. I've attached pictures which I hope help show its current position. I do not believe it is in neutral but I don't seem to be able to change its position.

You suggested putting it on the ground to see if it would "roll". Do you mean would the forks move side to side? If so, the answer is one moves and the other doesn't.

In the picture where I am looking at the underside of the shift housing, the lower forks move left to right. The upper fork is locked in position.

Is it possible to know what the right configuration should be for the neutral position?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240227_145836.jpg (38.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20240227_145752.jpg (27.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 02-27-2024, 06:28 PM   #13
deuce5wndw

I meant to see if the truck would roll to eliminate the rearend as the problem. but in looking at the shifter tower the slots are not lined up for the shifter handle side to side as in neutral. The shift lever is in the low reverse fork so slide it to neutral and see if the shift handle will engage 2nd and third.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:07 PM   #14
sdperham

Success! You guys are awesome.

Just drove around the block after 12 months of 'dry dock'. I'm going to print off this thread and save it for my future reference and for future family owners.

Thanks much. I learned a lot.

Shel
Old 02-27-2024, 08:49 PM   #15
deuce5wndw

Good deal!
Old 02-27-2024, 08:50 PM   #16
ford38v8

Shel, would love to see you and your truck in Castro Valley on Saturday the 9th for the March meeting of the Golden Gate Regional group of the EFV8CA. Go to goldengatev8.org for further info place/time.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:41 AM   #17
sdperham

Thanks for the invite Alan. Not available on the 9th but hope to make the April meeting.
Shel
Old 02-28-2024, 12:16 PM   #18
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Thanks for the invite Alan. Not available on the 9th but hope to make the April meeting.
Shel

Just for your information in the future, ALWAYS replace the shifter mechanism with the shifter in NEUTRAL, as well as with ALL of the gears in NEUTRAL. Works every time!

Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE