Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2022, 03:51 PM   #21
abachman3

Default Re: Frustrated

If you have a Zenith Carburetor, Clean the screen on the end of the carb. Just take the screw loose and the small screen is attached to it and it will come out.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 10:51 PM   #22
daveymc29

I have a pencil filter in the shut off valve inside the gas tank and no inline fuel filters other than a glass bowl with a screen on the top. Over the years I have installed various in line fuel filters and found they are more trouble than what little good they might do. You do need good fuel flow at the carburetor and when the engine is cold try disconnecting the fuel line from the carb and let some fuel, a cup or two run into a very clean glass container. let that sit for a while and see what collects on the bottom of the container. I use a quart fruit bottle, clear and cleaned and dried. I set it so it sits at an angle so even a small amount of crud will show up in the lowest spot. If crud shows up replace the fuel in tank and flush tank out with some clean fuel, several times, if necessary. Clean is good and these little engines will run well if kept in specks and oiled and watered. 2nd the guy who says check your fuel tank lid. If it isn't venting, or you suspect it isn't, twist the cap loose and leave it that way while trying to start engine. No need to pump the fuel feed, either by foot or by hand, as mentioned nothing will occur as there is no pumping going one like in the newer cards that had an excelerator pump built into the fuel system for when you romped down on the foot throttle to spin your tires for some laddies you were trying to impress. Welcome and best of luck. They will run, patience and a good friend to lean on are go to have.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 11:36 PM   #23
Clem Clement

There is a Model A club in your region. They would be glad to help you.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 07:26 AM   #24
ports

Talwrench. I do not yet have enough posts to send a private message. I am up visiting my daughter and grandkids in NH and will not be home until the beginning of August. I can’t express how grateful I am that you would be willing to help me with my new model A. It will be great to learn from someone who has experience with these cars. Looking forward to meeting you and learning. I will be in touch when I get home. Thank you. Robert. Did you mean the drain plug on the bottom of the carb? Rob Doe. The foot pedal does come down when I move the hand throttle. The problem I am observing is I think as I pull it down and let it go it may move back up a bit and therefore reduce affect it is supposed to have to increase idle speed. When I get home I will take a better look at the linkage for the hand throttle. I know you only need to open the hand throttle a couple I’d notches but I don’t think anyone answered how far down the hand throttle can go. I ask this because if it can go down all the way but won’t then something is wrong with the linkage. I have noticed on a couple of videos that the linkage for the hand throttle was curved( the linkage that attaches to main throttle linkage behind the engine) and mine is straight. Din’ Know if that matters. Thanks again to all who have replied and tried to help me getup and going. When I have enough posts I will be able to message individual people. I think I need 10 so I soon will be there. Ports
ports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #25
frank55a

To answer some of your questions and additional info.
1. Regarding the oiler on the side of the distributor; The distributor has 2 bushings, the oiler only lubs the lower bushing. Originally there was not a way to oil the upper bushing, perhaps 20 -30 years ago the some people and dealers made a fix for this problem. The top end of the distributor shaft was drilled down the center of the shaft and then cross drilled to oil the upper bushing additionally the cam screw was drilled so that it did not need to be removed to add a couple of drops of oil. If your upper shaft is not drilled then, then replacing the cam screw with a drilled screw will do no good.
2. Do you have a good free flow of gas from the sediment bowl to the carb? If not your gas line may be some what plugged.
3. Unless the engine is hot you may need to pull the choke out a few times while starting the A until it is some what warm and running steady which may take a minute or two, you may only need to pull out the choke for a second each time while the engine is running to keep it running.
4. You should be able to pull the throttle all the way down to the end of the notched area. If it will not stay the back of the rod and/or the nautches are worn down.

Last edited by frank55a; 07-16-2022 at 01:46 PM.
frank55a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:36 PM   #26
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by ports View Post
I know you only need to open the hand throttle a couple I’d notches but I don’t think anyone answered how far down the hand throttle can go.
Here are pictures of my car. The first one is minimum travel.

The second is maximum travel.

The third is where I start my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #27
shew01

Default Frustrated

All of the pushrods should be straight. The part that is mounted on the firewall does have some curves—it is similar to an elongated, up-side-down “U” with oil cups at either end of the strait portion of the linkage.

Last edited by shew01; 07-16-2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:47 PM   #28
shew01

The pushrods have oddball connectors (for a newbie). If you wish to remove them, you pull the end (which “stretches” the length of the pushrod slightly so that it can be lifted off of its ball connector). The springs on my pushrods are pretty strong. So, the first time I removed them for oiling, I was afraid that I might break them, but they are pretty tough.

Here is a picture.

https://www.brattons.com/6-THROTTLE-...uctinfo/14821/

Old 07-16-2022, 02:56 PM   #29
shew01

Hang in there—you’ll get the knack for starting the car.

When we purchased our car, the previous owner had it starting easily, and I expected the same for me. However, when I got it home, it took me a while to re-figure out how to start it. Please be aware that you can easily over choke the engine and flood it. When I was new to the car, I over choked it a lot (not understanding that a little choke goes a long way), and it would not start for me.

Old 07-16-2022, 08:04 PM   #30
CT Jack

It sounds like gas is not getting to carburetor.
Where is your gas shut off valve located, inside under the dash or outside out of the firewall? If it is coming out of the firewall the valve lever should be facing 90 degrees away from the gas line for the open position, not straight in line.
If you remove the gas line where it enters the carburetor you should see fuel coming out with the valve open. If it doesn't flow you probably have a plugged tank or a plugged line.
CT Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 08:32 PM   #31
Synchro909

Lots of food for thought by the OP. I'm waiting to hear he has it going.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:17 PM   #32
dsarge390

A bunch of us Model A people will be in Macungie, PA for the big car show during Das Awkscht Fescht, Aug 4-7. It's not too far from Pottstown. I'll be happy to walk you through some things to check over and how to start the car. You can also hook up with the Lehigh Valley Model A club, so you have a support group for future issues.
dsarge390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:56 AM   #33
wwirz

Shoot me a PM and we can walk through what is happening and develop a starting procedure
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 07:41 PM   #34
shew01

Did you have any luck getting your car started?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk