Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 08:13 AM   #1
jailhousebob

Default Need some 39 convertable info

Hi guys, need some advice from the 39-40 guys. Looking at a 39 convertable coupe. It is missing ALOT of parts.Not concerned about the mechanical stuff but there are no garnish moldings, windo regulators or risers, No door handles or latches.No hardware to attach the top to the header.Missing the chrome channel that covers the window edge and whatever trim that goes around the windshield opening and the window tracks that mount to the windshield posts. Also the dash.
I don't see alot of this stuff available repro and i am wondering how difficult it will be to source these parts. I have access to a deluxe coupe for parts and am wondering if the window regulators and door handles and latches are the same.
I have been a 32-34 guy for years but I'm out of my comfort zone on the 39-40 stuff so would really appreciate any help.Would love to save save this car if i can .
Thanks in advance,Bob
Old 04-18-2022, 08:29 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Need some 39 convertable info

Bob, The parts you seek, especially the header bow latches, dashboard and door garnish moldings will prove very difficult to source.
The windshield trim was reproduced a number of years ago by Drake. It was of good quality. A glimmer of hope in that you may locate a guy with a pair.
Door garnish? Nearly impossible.
Dashboard? Every now and then (very infrequently) a convertible dash will show up for sale. Prepare to pay up, not dicker... just grab it when you first have the chance. The '39 wagon utilizes the same dash. Not that that will make finding one much easier.
Window regulators are "out there". If and when you locate a pair, prepare to pay up.
The chrome channel that surrounds the side windows was reproduced for 1940 convertibles in straight lengths. It is not the same width as '39.
Door handles, latches and window regulators are unique to your convertible.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:38 AM   #3
V8ER

It sounds like someone's parts car for another convertible.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:10 AM   #4
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Bob, The parts you seek, especially the header bow latches, dashboard and door garnish moldings will prove very difficult to source.
The windshield trim was reproduced a number of years ago by Drake. It was of good quality. A glimmer of hope in that you may locate a guy with a pair.
Door garnish? Nearly impossible.
Dashboard? Every now and then (very infrequently) a convertible dash will show up for sale. Prepare to pay up, not dicker... just grab it when you first have the chance. The '39 wagon utilizes the same dash. Not that that will make finding one much easier.
Window regulators are "out there". If and when you locate a pair, prepare to pay up.
The chrome channel that surrounds the side windows was reproduced for 1940 convertibles in straight lengths. It is not the same width as '39.
Door handles, latches and window regulators are unique to your convertible.

Bob
I have a 1939 Ford Deluxe Convertible and really can't add anything to the answer Kube related. He is "dead on balls accurate!" in everything he says. I have owned my 1939 Convertible for almost a year. The window regulators are out there by some dude called the window regulator guy. The teeth can also be welded back on. The windows are much heavier than on the coupe and others. I drive on sunny days! I have had to have my brakes completely redone. And to say I had transmission problems is an understatement but read all about how that got fixed by Mac VanPelt in my separate post. If you are a perfectionist and want a 1939 Convertible like Ray Allen ( See 2019 September/October issue of V8 Times Magazine) which is a beauty. He can be found in the 2022 V8 Time Club roster and is a really nice gentleman who loves to talk about and show his pride and joy. As for mine, I plan to fabricate parts or make things work like the Cubans do on old American autos. I simply want to drive it. I have a list a mile long of things that need attention. Now that VanPelt has fixed my shifter problems I can start working on that list again. PM me if you like.
Ramblin Reck and a Hellava Engineer
Old 04-18-2022, 09:29 AM   #5
19Fordy

Bob, Do yourself a favor and don't buy that 39.
Too many "unobtainium" parts are missing.
That's why "that" car is FOR SALE.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:36 AM   #6
jdpaxton

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bob. I have the center above windshield top latch post if you decide to buy convert. Restored radio for a 39.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #7
Karl Wescott

Here is what I know:

Garnish moldings: windshield and doors available in fiberglass from us.
Window regulators: Not reproduced. 1935-39 Convertible the same, car different.
Window stainless frame: Not reproduced. 1935-39 the same size but there are two different roller/track designs. Early used 1935-??? Late used ???-1939. must match window frame and tracks.

Door handles: Available repro for closed car, minor modification for convertible.
Top hardware on windshield: Visor bracket/dowels and center dowel, we make.
Top hardware on header: center socket, we make. Side corners not reproduced (yet...likely 6 months after I get my grubby hands on one).

Top seal to window: retainers and rubber parts are reproduced.
Windshield Trim: Not available. Drake had them. 1937-40 Convertible and Wagon the same. Often not used on street rods.

Dash: Available in fiberglass from us.

Save the car! It might be a better as a candidate for a "mild street rod" and not for attempting a concourse restoration.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #8
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

I have a mint LHD convertible dash in primer with the speedo, instruments and clock.
Also 1 original steel door garnish moulding, the 2 rear fender step plates, original correct rear vision mirror, sun visor dowel brackets with good chrome, and rumble seat hinges.
$2500 the lot plus shipping from New Zealand. ( probably a couple of hundred dollars )
Kube knows me.
Regards,
Chris.NZ.
[email protected].

Last edited by swoopNZ; 04-18-2022 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:27 PM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
I have a mint LHD converible dash in primer with the speedo, instruments and clock.
Also 1 original steel door garnish moulding, the 2 rear fender step plates, original correct rear vision mirror, sun visor dowel brackets with good chrome, and rumble seat hinges.
$2500 the lot plus shipping from New Zealand. ( probably a couple of hundred dollars )
Kube knows me.
Regards,
Chris.NZ.
[email protected].
Chris, If I was in the need, I'd grab this package deal promptly.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:13 PM   #10
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

You also get the inside windscreen divider ( the one the mirror attaches to ) and the 2 latches for opening the rumble seat.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:57 AM   #11
Cool Kat with Hot Car

I have a very nice pair of doors for sale. They are 100% complete with hinges, window risers, stainless window surrounds, glass, garnish moldings, door latches, original door upholstery panels, exterior stainless trim. No rot, no damage. They were put in a garage with a nice 39 convert coupe in 1957. $3,000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6882 copy.jpg (51.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6869 copy.jpg (49.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-19-2022, 01:00 AM   #12
Cool Kat with Hot Car

I also have a nice rumble lid with hinges. A friend has a complete top assembly that was left over as a spare from a restoration in 1978.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:21 AM   #13
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Heck - you're almost there.
I found the interior wood was the hardest to find.
Chris.NZ.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:19 PM   #14
Brian

What a great site this is with so many real helpful members