Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2017, 12:15 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Can you or how do you shorten a '37 horn rod for use on a '32 column

Looking for help or suggestions on how to shorten a '37 horn rod for use on a '32 column? My good friend Steve from PA gave me a restored '37 wheel and horn rod and I'd like to use them. Issues is the '37 horn rod is a lot longer than the '32. Has anyone here done this before? Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #2
Bubsyouruncle

Default Re: Can you or how do you shorten a '37 horn rod for use on a '32 column

Save the original 37 and buy a repro 32. Why mess with it.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:24 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

Default Re: Can you or how do you shorten a '37 horn rod for use on a '32 column

I have a 37 banjo in my 32 coupe (on 32 box and shaft) and I took the 37 horn button apart and put the 32 horn rod into the 37 button. You have to be careful taking everything apart and when I got it back together, I used JB weld to hold the rod to the pot metal piece. It is square up at the top so that you can turn it. I used the 32 horn wire and hooked that up. I think there might be a picture of the wheel and horn button on my public album of the 32 5w.

I just looked and I didn't post a pic of the wheel and button. PM me with your em address and I will send you some pictures of how it looks done if you want.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 12-23-2017 at 01:46 AM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
32phil

I did exactly what deuce roadster did on several cars.
It holds the rod perfectly and the horn works too.
The 32 horn center will not work because the banjo style wheels have a larger diameter center.
Besides, the 39 Deluxe center looks really nice in an earlier car.

Last edited by 32phil; 12-23-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: more info
32phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
Ray in La Mesa

I shortened a horn rod by cutting a piece out and laying the two pieces in a piece of angle iron to align and silver soldered it back together. Took 3 tries to get it straight and indexed top to bottom but it worked.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa View Post
I shortened a horn rod by cutting a piece out and laying the two pieces in a piece of angle iron to align and silver soldered it back together. Took 3 tries to get it straight and indexed top to bottom but it worked.
I did the same and welded one back together. It was for a Model A. Someone had lengthened a very rare early 28 horn rod to work on a 29 2 tooth steering column. I cut it down to work on the correct column. It didn't look like to me the button could successfully be removed and re-attached. The idiot who did the deed also defaced the rare Mar-Jun 1928 early aluminum horn button! They added "off" to the original "on" and "dim" markings. Only the x-Mar 28 version had the "off."

Last edited by mrtexas; 12-23-2017 at 11:04 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote