Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
raj4851

Default Mac's interior trim panels

Hi again, I posted a question about interior trim panels a few days ago. Thanks for all the replies. I've discovered that Mac's has these panels but I can't get a breakdown of exactly what this package consists of. Has anyone used Mac's for interior trim panels? I'm just about ready to order them if I hear a good report or two. Thanks again, Rod
raj4851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: Mac's interior trim panels

What vehicle? The Cartouche packages are generally well described, in my experience.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
mfagan

Call and ask for Dave, he’s been very helpful ! 716-210-140 ext. 8041
Old 12-20-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
raj4851

Hi guys, sorry, it's a '39 tudor sedan. Thanks, Rod
Old 12-20-2017, 09:54 AM   #5
rust runner

Go with Labaron Bonney and be done with it. Super customer service. If something is wrong they will handle it/
rust runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj4851 View Post
Hi guys, sorry, it's a '39 tudor sedan. Thanks, Rod
If it's just panels you should get the following; kick panels, door panels, quarter panels, the small panels that go between the back door jamb and the rear garnish, and possibly the package shelf. If they are selling you a kit I would check to make sure all these panels are in the kit. All the aforementioned panels are needed for your upholstery job. I would also check with Lebaron-Bonney. You might want to see if you can get samples of the panel board from each source. Sometimes the price difference can be the quality of the panel material.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
raj4851

mfagan, rust runner, & TJ, thanks very much for the info. I'll be on the phone today to these folks. Thanks again, Rod
Old 12-20-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
raj4851

hey mfagan, it looks like you left a number off the phone number. Thanks, Rod
Old 12-21-2017, 12:05 AM   #9
Royal Ryser

I recently ordered the interior panel kit from Macs for my36 tudor. My car had a lot of water damage to the panels and they were home made as well. I thought I would be better off to use new panels because they would fit right. Well, not quite.The holes along the door panel bottoms do not match the holes on the doors. Close but required enlarging the holes in the panels. That made the clips difficult to install. It all came together, finally, but the finished panels do not fit quite right and some of the clips have pulled out of the doors.
Altogether damned irritating. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the panels were not made to fit perfectly. Seems like a no brainer.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:02 AM   #10
mike42

I bought my own paneling and cut my own panels. They really came out great. I have used Lebaron Bonney for seating, interior and headliner and these guys are good ! You can call them or email them and they do get back to you.

Mike
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #11
TagMan

"For the life of me, I cannot figure out why the panels were not made to fit perfectly. Seems like a no brainer."

Multiple suppliers, manufacturing tolerances, hundreds of thousands ou units, 80-year-old technology...... Not a perfect world.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #12
tomkowal

My vote would be for lebaron bonney
tomkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

I have had three kits from LeBaron B ,on one car I was fussy and put plastic behind the door panel s ,these panels are still in very good shape ,the other car had non and is well buckled .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #14
1stford

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkowal View Post
My vote would be for lebaron bonney
This is the way to go.
1stford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:10 PM   #15
Royal Ryser

There's more to my 36 tudor upholstery story and it may interest some people. It sure was a learning experience for me.
The car had been reupholstered in black vinyl many years ago. The front seat was from a '37 sedan and the back seat, who knows. Maybe a mistake, but I kept the '37 front seat and whatever the back is. I talked with both LB and Cartouche to see if they could accommodate a mixture of odd seats with original remaining upholstery. They tried but were not excited about it.
The panels in the car were warped and twisted from being wet, no good as patterns. After talking with my upholsterer, I decided to buy a panel set, headliner kit, and upholstery fabric from Cartouche.
The idea was, with new panels (which would fit, right?) and new fabric, the upholsterer could install the new fabric over the new panels and also match the seat covering to the pattern that was already on the seats. As I said above, the panels did not fit and required quite a lot of adjusting. The door panels, the kick panels and the rear quarter panels all required some work. Why didn't I return them? Well, they were better than anything else I had to use as patterns.
How did it work out? Just OK. The adjusted panels fit pretty well. The upholsterer was just OK, so it is not the nice tight fit I wanted, even though it cost as much as a good job. The material I got from Cartouche was very good.
To do it again, I would replace the seats with '36 seats, so everything was as original, and I would use a complete Cartouche or LB interior kit. I would also be more selective in hiring the upholsterer.
This is my first and last complete restoration. I could write a book about all of the mistakes I made, but I won't do that, either.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote