Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2023, 04:39 PM   #1
Model "A" Fords

Default Hershey, is it really that big?

Over the years I've talked about Hershey with anyone interested. The common reaction to its size is, it doesn't seem that big! I hoped one day to witness the reaction of one of them on the site for their first time.

Tom, a long time friend having heard my stories of Hershey asked to join us one year to pick up parts for his friends Model A project. He added, from the big Hershey meet! He just had to get a dig in.

The cars owner dropped a wad of cash in his hands and between the two of them, made a list of everything they wanted. At the bottom I read the word sink. What's with the sink, I asked? Well, tom said, I hear you talk about picking up everything but the kitchen sink and I don't want to make the same mistake, mocking me over my "Hershey has everything" statement.

When we arrived at the border, Tom made it clear to customs that he had lots of money and somehow they invited us to stay until he was able to tell the whole story. That took quite some time.

The first morning we were in one of two parallel lines on a field ready to pay and park. Tom was impressed with the amount of cars going to the flea market. He was way more impressed to find out that there were more fields than this one with the same lineups. Feeling that he finally understood the magnitude we thought that would be the end of the Hershey digs. On entering the gate he dropped his event directory straight in the cart thinking the size of it indicated a story book meant to take home for a good read. He did admit Hershey looked larger than he imagined.

We divided into two groups with Tom going with my Brother Rick, the mechanic, and myself with my Buddy Chris the farmer (all farmers are also mechanics). Tom suggested going around the whole flea market in the morning to get a feel for it and in the afternoon they could do a second run to pick up the parts, done! Rick took a breath and said the place was to large for that, just stay with me to make things as efficient as possible!

At the end of the day on the trek back to the car Rick said, now... do you see what we mean when we say big! Toms reply was, I am feeling quite tired but at least we made it to the end of the flea market and still have tomorrow to go back to the places of interest and pick up more parts.

Rick stopped in his tracks and sat down on the grass while he ran that logic, through his head. After a rest he stood up and he said, Tom we only got through one of two Chocolate fields! Toms eyes lit up and said, you mean we only did half the flea market! Rick gathered his thoughts again and explained there is a show field, a car corral going around the sight, a Green field, Orange field, Two chocolate fields, and three Red fields!

If you want you can take in any events on and around the grounds, like Old Time Movies, race cars, High-Wheeler Event, AACA Museum & library, awards banquet, Talent show, judging, Car Auction, and Juniors at Hershey program. Oh, and read the show directory before you go home and discover what else there is. The Point was finally taken!

At a get together of friends after returning, Tom was asked how he made out at Hershey? It was nice to listen to him as he detailed the trip starting from getting in the car. Everyone was captivated with his adventure and listened intently. Even though I had been there, I still enjoyed his view of Hershey.

It was super satisfying for me as he ended with Sh_t, that was a big flea market! He_l, you just can't imagine the size of it! I was thrilled to add, Sh_t, it didn't seem so big to me!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 05:25 PM   #2
gdmn852

Default Re: Hershey, is it really that big?

Hello, the first time I went to Hershey was 1973 , and it was big then.At that time it was located more to the east of the old stadium where that had food, today there are rides and buildings on the old fields also this was all grassy fields , if it didn’t rain, recall seeing a portable toilet truck being stuck in the mud one year.In 1976 they had 3 fields called, red white and blue to get into the bicentennial spirit.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:11 AM   #3
noboD

This week there is a RV show on the same parking lots as are used for the flea market. It is the biggest in the US and is advertised as covering 33 football fields.
noboD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 06:37 AM   #4
Oldbluoval

Yep been there when it rained, snowed, sweltering…all of it. And on grass and dirt thus mud when it rained. Been pulled out with tractors. Seen stuff submerged with flooding. All better now . Thank you club and Herco!
The club is working diligently to prevent the aggravation inside….people parking and not vending! Last time I went (2017) I’d estimate that about 1/4 of the spaces were vehicles with no goods for sale.
But it quite the event and a
Must on the east coast!

Started in 1974…every year until 2017…including 9/11 (very sparce, all please remember today!) Just don’t need to be there anymore. Great memories, great fellowship and great friends made from afar!

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 09-11-2023 at 07:52 AM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 06:53 AM   #5
grj

Took 3 days to cover it all. AND that was moving! A lot younger then. Every year since '76. G
grj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
Brokenvette

Same here. Since 76. Only missed 3 yrs. I am going this year. I am probably going to call it quits after this year. Been a lot of fun. If the parking in vendor spaces can be resolved it could be great again.
Brokenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 12:47 PM   #7
Gary Karr

Thank goodness we have four days to try to cover all of the fields as well as socialize with people we haven't seen since last year.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 01:36 PM   #8
ModelA29

Hershey to me seems like the Mecca of swap meets but too large to find what you need without a crew helping out.

Our first time at the SEMA show we went to the local Kmart and bought some sneakers....
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:19 PM   #9
Slotblog

When I wrote the text for the Hershey story for the Antique Automobile in 2018, the show's czar told me that year the swap meet covered 330 acres. I computed the area of the number of swap meet spaces they sold that year and it was 62 acres... just the area of the spaces!

Last edited by Slotblog; 09-11-2023 at 07:27 PM.
Slotblog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 04:52 PM   #10
Gene F

Can someone tell me about the auction? I mean that from the selling perspective too. Are these the million dollar cars, or hobbyist cars? The Hershey meet is just in October every year? I see advertisements for two shows per year at Carlisle, is that the same thing?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:32 PM   #11
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slotblog View Post
I computed the area of the numbr of swap meet spaces they sold that year and it was 62 acres... just the area of the spaces!
That's 2,700,720 sq ft or 9,000 10x30 spaces. It's open 10 hours a day for 5 days so you'd need to look at 180 spaces per hour (3 per minute) just to see them all. Spend more than 20 seconds at a space and you won't have time to see it all.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 07:38 PM   #12
Slotblog

IIRC correctly, the number of spaces sold in 2018 was more than 9,200.
Old 09-11-2023, 07:40 PM   #13
31 Woody

I have only been twice. First when I was 3, then when my son was 3. I don’t remember the first trip. But the second trip my wife watched the kids while I walked the swap meet. It took me 3 days to see everything. That was 17 years ago.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:44 AM   #14
ronn

Well it isnt nearly as large as it once was. As Oldblue states, lots of parking with a small table in front of the vehicle with perhaps 10 pieces of junk and a dollar box. Nobody present............. this is how folks get around the "vending" requirement.

Still a large large meet, but easily can waste half of your time walking in between parked cars. It would be much better if they figured a way to consolidate the true vendors.
I went in the 70s and 80s and it was amazing! today it is still better then most, if you come understanding what it is about. I remember seeing much prewar stuff everywhere. Today lots of 50s and 60s cars on display. Sort of like an extension of Carlisle. It has def chged and will continue to do so, as costs continue to rise and some of the older fellas pass on.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 08:11 AM   #15
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
Hershey to me seems like the Mecca of swap meets but too large to find what you need without a crew helping out.

Our first time at the SEMA show we went to the local Kmart and bought some sneakers....

Tom, in the opening story, Used SEMA to reference big. Handled SEMA, Hershey, not problem. Hershey became his new large, and I know SEMA is huge! Footwear, definitely a consideration.

As a small boy, treading in mud and straw was like making bricks (it never rained at Hershey!). Pavement was a blessing!

We learn'd early to buy something when we saw it, probably your only chance. We were blessed to find many parts we needed and were excited to pick up Canadian pieces from the mix! That gave us the drive to push on.

If you haven't been yet, get there to see what 800 volunteers have created. The greatest car show on earth!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 08:12 AM   #16
Oldbluoval

Also, the area has become the “captive audience trap” which seems very common.
Prices have escalated beyond belief. We used to (2017 and before) find rooms for $125-175; now pushing $400. Not singling out just Hershey but the public really gets soaked with every event. I understand business is business but they’ve mostly found my breaking point.
Kinda like eating out…..couple of years ago..could eat lunch for $6..now fast food lunches will be $12-15. I guess I’m just old!
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 04:23 PM   #17
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
Also, the area has become the “captive audience trap” which seems very common.
Prices have escalated beyond belief. We used to (2017 and before) find rooms for $125-175; now pushing $400. Not singling out just Hershey but the public really gets soaked with every event. I understand business is business but they’ve mostly found my breaking point.
Kinda like eating out…..couple of years ago..could eat lunch for $6..now fast food lunches will be $12-15. I guess I’m just old!
It is NOT just you. Gouging!
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 06:11 PM   #18
gdmn852

Hello again, to partly answer post 10 questions, Carlisle is different than Hershey, that is
an AACA event where as Carlisle was a private company set up, this occurred when the rumors started that Hershey wasn’t going to allow post war parts sales . In 1974 I think was the First Carlisle, now every month they have something at Carlisle, imports , Ford etc .Also a spring Carlisle and a fall one .
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:58 AM   #19
rackops

Since we're on the topic... I plan on going to Hershey this year for the first time. I'm not a member of the AACA, just part of the "general populace". Can I get into the flea market on Tuesday? Or am I limited to Wednesday as the first day?

I've tried to figure it out from their website, but am still not certain.
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 01:58 PM   #20
ronn

the new wedsnesday is Tuesday. everything has been bumped up a day, so that the weekend doesnt exist anymore.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote