Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #11
Synchro909

Default Re: The Terry Burtz 5 main bearing engine blocks are back on track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBob View Post
There is another reality coming down the Model A road; even though 4.8 million Model A's were produced, the number of good blocks is shrinking quickly. The shop I deal with says they throw away 6 or so bad blocks for every rebuildable block they use. If the new Terry Burtz block cannot turn the corner on cost effectiveness, there will still be fewer and fewer original blocks available. I don't know of anyone trying to reproduce the original blocks but I don't know much. Maybe someone will and the standards committees will allow them in show cars?
In the mean time, I applaud Mr. Burtz (and his team) for continuing the effort to bring his new block to the market and while it is more expensive, I sure would like to build one with a blower to see how far the new engine can be taken. Imagine a 200 HP Model A engine! Of course, I don't have the money to do this but it is fun to dream.
A few years back, I saw the pile of blocks Brattons was about to throw out. After looking at some of them, I concluded many were quite salvageable. The blocks with cracks were marked at the crack and obviously, I couldn't crack test them but many of those not marked as cracked appeared salvageable. Maybe they had just not marked all of the cracks - who knows.
IMO, it depends how much the customer is prepared to spend to use them. The occasional stripped thread, for example that some use to justify discarding a block really is no problem.
You guys wouldn't believe what is brought back to life when no replacements are available. A ready supply of parts has lead to hasty disposal of not so bad parts, IMO.
I know of a guy in this state who has recast an engine block for his car, the only one of its type in the world after the original could not be repaired again. It was an expensive undertaking but it saved a valuable car. There is another guy who making 6 brand new 1920s Rolls Royce engines so he can use his cars. What was that about necessity being the mother of invention?

Last edited by Synchro909; 03-08-2021 at 06:39 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote