Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
Byron Warwick

Default Exhaust in coolant

I had started this thread last October, and had to put off doing anything until this spring, and here I am again.
I expect that a fine crack is in the block, going from the number 3 exhaust valve to the top centre bolt.
To refresh I have checked the gases in the radiator top tank and it is exhaust vapours.
From previous questions, I admit that I used an additive to fill the crack. However, since I am running a stock cooling system, and it is un-pressurized there is nothing to force it into the crack.
What can I do to put pressure into the system so that I can operate it and force the "Iron Tight" into the crack. How much pressure and what type of Rad cap can I use. Will my '35 standard radiator hold this pressure?
I am trying not to have to pull the engine. I also am going to pull one or more head studs (at a time), use more Aviation Permatex and re-tighten them to 55 pounds.
First one to pull is the top centre bolt. What other head bolts go into the exhaust chamber, to also try them.
If none of the above does the job I am going to pull the head and replace the gasket.
Thanks Barners, Byron.
Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Exhaust in coolant

Well to answer the "how much pressure with the radiator take" is little to none. You might be able to use the 3lb cap that GM here on the Barn has posted about.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:53 AM   #3
marko39

Pulling head studs should be the last resort. Are any leaking around the nuts? If you do pull studs you must make sure everything is clean before sealing. You also risk breaking one off and in that case you are Screwed.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #4
ursus

The exhaust pressure forcing hot gases through a crack will make it unlikely that any crack sealer will be held in place by whatever water pressure you can achieve inside the water jacket. I have a block with two pinholes in the exhaust valve pocket and have been told that it cannot be repaired.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
philipswanson

Pull it and mag the block and heads. No short cut here. IMHO
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
flatjack9

The block may need to be pressure tested. Hard to mag the exhaust ports
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Byron Warwick

I know that i am a driveway mechanic, but I have pulled two engines to have them overhauled. No I did not do the actual machining that was required, but i am proficient enough to do many of the jobs that are required for re-assembly.
Is there any other way to seal this 1/2 to 3/4" long crack? JB Weld epoxy on the crack and on the head gasket?
Guess I will just try to reseal the center bolt, and if that does not help, then pull the head to see what is going on.
Thanks for your replies.
Cheers, Byron.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Byron Warwick

Back again looking for help! I still have not pulled the head. My question is how much pressure can I put on my 1935 Ford radiator. Why you may ask?
Because i want to add a sealing liquid compound to the cooling system to see if it will fill the possible crack going into the exhaust system To do this I have to have a higher pressure on the coolant side to force the sealer into the crack.
I believe the crack is from the top center bolt towards the #3 exhaust valve area.
Any thoughts or experience on this?
Thanks and Cheers, Byron.
Old 05-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Early radiators will take very little internal pressure, but I would have no idea what the maximum would be. I think GM here on the Barn talks about 3lb caps. You can tell if there is too much pressure if the tank starts "tin canning".
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
flatjack9

I would pour the sealer in and circulate it through the system and let the engine warm up. Then shut the engine off and let it sit. You're not going to get enough pressure to overcome the exhaust pressure.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #11
Byron Warwick

I knew it was a long shot, but I am avoiding the engine pulling route.
I presume that it is the radiator that is the weakest link in the cooling system. Has anyone tried to put pressure on the rad, and how high did you go?
Thanks again for all your help.
Cheers, Byron.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
Jack E/NJ

Well, you could bypass the radiator altogether with a couple of Dorman radiator cap Tees and connect the outlets/inlets directly. Then use the highest pressure caps you dare to use. Jack E/NJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dormantee.jpg (13.9 KB, 10 views)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

In the past I have used a product called Kem weld with great results ,One was a Chev 52 pick up that dumped most of the water out the exhausted this completaty stoped the problem ,A more resent one were I had a call from a stranded student in a El chepo Jap car she was being qauted all sorts of numbers to do a head gasket ,we tipped the $20 bottle of product down the radiator hoses ,I passed her six monthes later and yelled out the window your still driving that thing ,Yes she replied . You run the motor till very hot with a cloth over the radiator (the crack opens up ) ,then lower the coolant leval and dump the product in the top hoses ,refit the hoses and restart let it come down to normial thempature ,they don't mention pressurising the systiom but they do say remove any spark plug on the cylinder that has a issue ,I agree with the others that its not a permanent fix But .Byron send me a PM and I will sent you a bottle NC ,Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 05-08-2019 at 04:25 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
Byron Warwick

I am still pondering the last two posts. I'm not sure what I will do next . Thanks for your help, Byron.