Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Dan Baron

Default doing something nice

When my wife and I got married, I told her that I wanted to get a Model A. She said Ya Ya Ya sure sure some day. Years would go by, I'd go to shows come back home and ask again about the A. Again sure sure, some day was the response. After about 3 real major arguments about this she realized that this wasn't something that I was ever going to outgrow. realizing that depression was setting in, she says "Just go Get Your Damn Car" So I did. I've never felt better. We often forget how much we put our wives through when we take up a hobby like this. My wife loves me and I wanted to do something nice for her. So after I finished my first Model A I had a plaque made up. If you look at my Avatar you see it reads, "Dedicated To My Wife Michelle For Her Patience, Love and Most of all Her Understanding of the Goals I've set in Life" and in small letters I.W.A.L.Y. So the next time you enter the garage think of her and say thanks for all the time spent away from her. She may even want to go for a drive.

Last edited by Dan Baron; 07-13-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Dan Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #2
Ron/IA

Default Re: doing something nice

Dan - What a very nice gesture. My wife has allowed me to persue and continue the restoration, maintenance, and tours with the Model A. While she rides with me to local eateries and pubs, she has never accompanied me on a tour. While she knows she is always welcome, she has respectfully declined. Tomorrow she is going to ride with me on our club's day tour. I can't describe my feelings into words, but your gesture has given me the idea that I should honor her for this first tour.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/

Last edited by Ron/IA; 07-13-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
HoarseWhisperer

Wow. I guess I should consider myself lucky,,,,,, very lucky.

My wife accompanies me on all the tours, Model A vacations, assumes secretary and tour duties with the local chapter, dresses in era fashion, plans dinners around my tinkering in the Garage Mahal and even opens my beer (so I won't break a nail).

She's already received the "Chrome Crank" award from the chapter, but now that you have reminded me, I better do something special for her. Thx!

Now that I found her, I think I'll keep her!
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
Dan Baron

As much as my wife loves me, She just doesn't trust the old girl enough. If she does go, she's white knuckled all the way. And Yes I'd say you are very lucky!!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
29ModelA

My wife bought the car, now only if she could buy me the time to restore it and put it together.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

Hoarse whisperer, You are a lucky man. Nice looking model A's too.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Stan/MO.

I flounder.....but I lobster
Stan/MO. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Bruce

While I didn't have to beg for the Roadster Pickup ... and I got Jan's OK for the Victoria basketcase pretty easily ... and she sort of negotiated the purchase of "Jack's Roadster ... I sure am up against a brick wall when I talk about just one more!!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
kp

Maybe if I install ac !
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

maybe if everyone did'nt stare at us on the road.

i can do what i want and buy what i want but cars are not her thing even though they pay the bills, so i guess thats not to bad.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
1931 flamingo

Got mine the end of march, wife not happy, gave her enough money out of windfall that I bought A with to bury me. She still hasn't looked at car, ride out of the question. We each do our own thing,38 years. She and daughter vacationing at a dude ranch in the catskills this week. She's gone = my vacation.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:13 AM   #12
Dan Baron

Anybody else out there share their hobby with there wives? I'd love to have her with me, she'll go, as long as she's driving behing in the morden car. Then I worry if she's having a good time once she's there. At least she's trying to get involved. I guess that's why I love her.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
Skeezixx

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite movies "Genevieve." It's must viewing for any antique car enthusiast. Here is the plot synopsis:

Plot Summary for
Genevieve (1953) More at IMDbPro »

It's time for the annual London to Brighton antique car rally, and Alan McKim and Ambrose Claverhouse are not going to let their friendship stop them from trying to humiliate each other. Along the way, some old jealousies are kindled to the point where the two men decide to have a "friendly" wager on who will be the first back to London. Once the competitive juices get all fired up, however, it quickly becomes a nasty, hotly-contested affair. Ambrose's companion must suffer through her "maiden voyage" on the rally, while Mrs. McKim, on the other hand, is a long-time sufferer of her husband's obsession. Written by Albert Jingle

If you have not seen it you must. If you have seen it.......watch it again with your wife.
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
Ray in La Mesa

I guess I'm lucky, my wife had her Model A before I did! We met in the local club and knew each other for 20 years before we started going together. Our first "date" was to pull the read end in her '31 coupe to fix it! She' got two A's, I have two and the rusty one on the front lawn is "our" yard art.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #15
Model A Man

I was married for 14 years and now divorce for 18 years. My ex hated cars and everytime I went into the garage she would come out and ask how long you going to be. Her Idea of fun was to sit and watch TV. I have dated 2 times in 18 years and I find I am better off loving my cars. I can put them in the garage when I am done, they dont talk back and they don't ask for much. The only way I would date again is if I found a Woman that was into cars and enjoyed the hobby as much as I do.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
james hitchcock

I had a 30 coupe when I was around 17. Traded up later for a 28 roadster pick up all stock except it had a pinto engine. After getting the pick up repainted I worried of scratches and didn't let the neighborhood kids jump in like I used to. I got tired of having her set covered and sold her way before I met my wife Tammi and married. Tammi has always known of my love for the Model A and how I missed having one. She knew someday I'd find one. Well 20+ years from my roadster I found Walter a 31 p.u. Walter needs a lot of T.L.C and currently rests in my driveway. Tammi has no problem with me heading out after dinner or spending my Saturday, puttering , scrapping, and sanding. (as long as I do my chores first) I think Tammi see's my vision for Walter and looks forward to the day we can go for our family rides. This time I'm going to let the my kids , grandkids, neighborhood kids, climb in and out and enjoy the heck outa Ol' Walter. Thanks hun, the front seat will be reserved for you on the maiden voyage.
James.

Last edited by james hitchcock; 07-15-2010 at 08:41 PM.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #17
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

Got my 30 Townsedan (14 years ago) with the support of my wife who never believed I would ever get it road worthy, painted, etc. First time I took her for a ride, it left us strayed and requied a bit of repair. Since then she regularly participates in tours club activities etc. and even encouraged me to buy the tudor and fordor. I purchased the coupe (basket case) and told her it was her car. Got the mechanics done and told her as soon as she got it sanded I would paint it and do the interior. She has gotten as far as picking out colors. It's been 3 years and still needs the sanding - guess I'll do it for her. She still hasn't used the over-and under I got her for Christmas a few years back but lets me "test" it whenever I like. Love that gal.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
Dave in Boise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Baron View Post
Anybody else out there share their hobby with there wives? I'd love to have her with me, she'll go, as long as she's driving behing in the morden car. Then I worry if she's having a good time once she's there. At least she's trying to get involved. I guess that's why I love her.
My wife joins in on the hobby, is newletter editor for our club and thoroughly loves the A's we have.. She drives and has completed tours. One evening, before the big Holiday Parade last year, the tudor came down with a leaky headgasket. She dove right in with me removing nuts and levering the head off, cleaning and reinstalling a new headgasket and torqueing the assembly down.
It's great to have a wife or significant other who enjoys the hobby as much as you do

I count myself very lucky.

- Dave
Dave in Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #19
Dan Baron

I've got to say, some of you are very lucky. I'm a little jealous of you guys. I'm sorry for you others out there, who, like myself who love these beautiful automobiles all by ourselves. That's not to say that we love them any less, because at least in my home, I've got the support and love in everything else. I just wanted to let others know that while we love our cars, we should let our wives know that we do appreciate all that they sacrifice for us, while we do.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #20
Freddie (Memphis)

My wife of 36 years has never worked on any of my hot rods...and I wouldn't expect her to, either. She's about as mechanically inclined as a small plastic soap dish. But...with the exception of the Cobra...she'll hop in the Model A and be ready to go anywhere at pretty much a moment's notice. She was a little leary at first, but then I proved to her by straying over 100 miles from home one Saturday to go to an antique car and airplance event that the little car was reasonably reliable. She's ready to go anywhere now...

The Cobra...? Well...not so much. 560 HP, 2400 lbs, open top, no roll up windows, no radio, no AC, too loud, too fast, too much wind...you name it, she don't like it. Me? Hell...everytime I take it out I come home with a big grin on my face and smelling like gasoline, oil, and burnt rubber...what's not to love?

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote