Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
Richard

Default Re: More foreign made junky parts

American made Ford stuff is the best.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #22
Brian

American made Ford stuff is the best.

Not neccessarily; however, Genuine Ford parts, made by Ford Motor Company, in America, are right up there for quality, performance and proper fit. This is obvious.
However, many parts are made in other countries that perform as well or better than any USA manufactured comparable component. This is also a fact. For example; the adjustable tappets manufactured in Australia by 'Flatattack', are a perfect replacement when rebuilding an engine, indeed, far better designwise and quality wise than anything the US aftermarket has ever produced [including the original Johnsons!]. I have not relationship with Flatattack, indeed I'm not even an Aussie [don't ever call a Kiwi an Ozzie], but need to illustrate that the above post, generalising that ALL American made stuff is the finest, is not correct!
I feel there is, worldwide, a very capable number of enthusiastic, capable flathead fanatics, who, desiring the best products for their Fords, design and build these components, and sometimes even manage to sell some.
One such Kiwi that comes to mind is 'Flathead Ted', who has engineered a mechanical brake floater kit that has sold successfully all around the world. Doubtful anyone could improve upon this system, whilst keeping original appearance.
However, it is also apparent, that the majority of Ford 'enthusiests' simply wish to purchase replacement/restoration/performance parts for the cheapest price, and then complain that these parts aren't what they should be. Collectively, we have created this sorry state of affairs for ourselves, and continue to perpetuate it, by accepting this crap!
I'll get off of my soapbox now....
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:40 AM   #23
Motorhead6

Concur with Brian.

Having said that, Asian countries can make quality stuff. Problem is that our importers are looking for maximum profit (i.e., mark up) and therefore want the lowest quality because it is the lowest cost to them.

Moral of the story...it's the American importer, not the Asian manufacturer that is screwing it all up.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #24
RC

Where do you get quality new parts then?
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #25
swedishsteel

Most of the time when we order parts, we have no idea who the manufacturer is, especially ordering on line. I have no problem with vendors making a profit--if they didn't they wouldn't be in business, but I think a little more quality control would in the long run increase their bottom line. Having learned what I have from the above posts, I won't even bother to order from Mac's anymore. Similarly, I am hesitant to order from Dennis Carpenter: bought a pair of '36 horn covers along with about a $1000 of small stuff for my '36 coupe. I finally got to the stage where I was ready to put the covers on: opened the package and one clearly had gotten placed in the stamping machine wrong and a couple of the bars were deformed. The logo on the outside of the package was Dennis Carpenter, so to save time and money for everyone involved, I sent the cover to Dennis Carpenter for a replacement. They returned it saying because I had not bought it from them, they wouldn't replace it. They lost way more business from me than a $20 part. One more anecdote and I'll quit: several years ago I finished the build on my wife's '36 tudor sedan. Had the interior upholstered and brought it home. Went to put the brand new shiny inside door and window handles on and I couldn't get the pins to go in: the holes in the new handles were not centered so they didn't line up with the holes in the square shaft on the door. What a pleasure trying to correct that situation with brand new upholstery. Again, absolutely no excuse. Good day, Rod
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #26
woodiewagon46

Thumbs down Re: More foreign made junky parts

I purchased the "8" for the hood and a pair of the rubber rear fender guards for my '46 woodie, from Bob Drake. After about a month I was washing my car and noticed the "8" was gone and I was left with the threaded stud. The rear fender guards had two of the studs spot welded in the wrong locations! After 8 months I noticed that three of the studs had broken off and the fender guard was flapping in the breeze. I talked to Drake at N.S.R.A. Louisville and was told that there was nothing they could do. I was told that most of Drakes stuff comes from off shore, N.O.S. is the only way to go but sometimes that is impossible!
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #27
russcc

There are resources out there for NOS & NORS products that are made in the USA. But you have to be willing to get off your butt and do your research if you don't want to be disappointed. The catalog, 800 number & credit card is sure route to China. I listed them before, Ray Helger, RI, Fred Wilner, MN, (So Side Obsolete), Dennis Carpenter NOS, NC, Tracy, Antique Auto, Arlington TX, Tom Hannaford, Then & Now, Weymouth MA. Stop bitching, and start calling.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
Conrad Rossi

Unfortunately from someone that grew up in Argentina, the best parts are not made there. The tooling old, not original and the quality is not there either. It usually takes a couple of parts to find the one that will work
Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #29
1936ford64

When Mac's first started I bought aquantity of rumble seat handle echuctions and they weren't made right and Mac said "You are a tool maker , Fix Them". I Made my own and threw away the Mac parts . It is not the manufacturer of the parts , it is the importer. I have made ( obviously) reproduction parts all my life. Tooling can only do what it is made to do. The second part Henry Ford made was a reproduction. Don
1936ford64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
klawockvet

I bought a set of door latches for my 28 roadster because I was in a hurry to leave on a trip. When they came they wouldnt come close to fitting. Not only that, the new door handles wouldnt fit as well. Supplier said they might need some adjustment to make them work. He said all the vendors get them from the same place. I couldnt figure how to make that adjustment so I took apart the originals to use the original housing. I found the spring on the new one substantially weaker than the 85 year old Ford. I put the calipers on them and found the repop to be .039 and the original .051. I ended up using the striker and throwing the rest away. I should have just rebuilt the original striker but I'm a slow learner. This has become a sad situation.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #31
Graeme / New Zealand

Well there are outfits out there that will try and rip you off too and pass the crap stuff off as good quality USA made stuff. I was watching an English show on NZ TV last night called "Antiques Road Show" where people bring their antiques to have them valued. Some bloke brought a couple of tortise shell tea caddies that were supposed to be made in the 18th century. He paid 3000 UK pounds for them only to be told they were Asian made fakes and the poor sucker was a dealer himself. I brought a set of points for my crab dizzy a while ago. I was grateful to C&G who gave me the choice of "cheaper" ones or some made in the USA. There is no guessing which ones I brought. If they were out to grab your "hard earned" I doubt they would have differentiated in their catalogue. There's service and service from these parts vendors and I am now getting more choosy who I will deal with.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #32
37coop

drake has let me down in the past ,macs service and quality of parts is more often not good enough,i,m using c and g now ...so far so good
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote