Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #21
Steve_Mack_CT

Default Re: Value out of car!

Robert, are you looking to get out of the project or just commenting on the financial formula? If you are looking to move it along, parting is another option that might actually net you more in the end although it is always too bad when a restorable car is parted out. No worse, I suppose than seeing it street rodded though. People who need the stuff get it and that is a help.

If the comment is that the dollars won't come back, that is true, but the worst point in terms of return is when you are mid way through the project.

I like Tom's approach in post #6. I think having a plan for each car helps. In our case, we have 3, that is enough to do what I want to do without overwhelming from a time or finances perspective. One is maintained and enjoyed with a goal of keeping all original. The other two are early Fords - handling the A roadster as suggested in post 6, aging cosmetics stay for now, when decent mechanicals are 110%, will look into a pro cosmetic restoration on that one while I am still working and can afford it. The last, T speedster is for me to restore as much as possible by myself. Financially, the most likely winner will be the first car, a sports car with a rising value right now although care and feeding adds up over the years. The A is likely break even now, with a planned over-investment in the cosmetics and the T is likely a small loss now, which won't get better when finished, as you say the nature of it. Very few hobbies pay off financially - or they would not be hobbies I guess.

Anyway, good luck with it - I guess the point of my story is as long as any losses are not life changing getting too hung up on values is energy spent that could be spent enjoying the cars one way or another.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do with your tudor!
Old 01-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #22
H. L. Chauvin

Value of a car?

Maybe just one way to look at it? Just supposed Joe was an avid sports hunter and sports fisherman while his neighbor Ben worked on his Model A.

After say 15 years Joe spent many, many hours and cash on travel and deep sea fishing and hunting, and spent lots cash to have his trophies mounted; but, on the other hand, Ben spent his many, many hours and cash on his Model A.

Today, after 15 years, Joe is sitting in his living room as he thinks back at all of the enjoyable hours spent and cash spent to acquire his mounted trophies; and Ben is sitting in his living room while thinking back at all of the enjoyable hours spent and cash spent to acquire his restored Model A.

Joe's and Ben's enjoyable "hours", based on their likes for a pastime, probably have close to the same value.

Total Value today?

Appears Ben can sell his now dusty trophy & get at least something for his Model A, plus make someone extremely happy.

But seems not many want Joe's dusty mounted elk heads, and dusty mounted sea bass, especially if they did not acquire it hunting and or fishing.

For some, values are sometimes based on "what" we leave after 15 years.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #23
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert shreveport View Post
Life "IS" slowly making it's cycle. I'm retired now, some friends are gone or moved on ......... Some people that are and have been my friends always say live for today, tomorrow is not quaranteed. ........Have my good health, am limber, slender and enthusiastic about my old cars.......
We all here this, that no one is guaranteed tomorrow and such. As truthful as this is, when things are going well, you really don't give it much thought.

Last year I had a situation where the 'end' was VERY near. It slapped me across the face,,,,, HARD. By the grace of the Almighty I'm still here, wasn't looking good early on but doing VERY well now. I got a second chance.

Bob speaks the truth. Live every day as best you can.

Look at all the Model A fellas that used to be here that are gone now, just in the last few years.

Sometimes you need a slap to bring you back to reality.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote