Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Doctor's Ford

Default 1933 Standard or Deluxe?

My 33 Tudor restoration is underway but I am not able to sort out if this is a Standard or Deluxe . Has features of both (see pictures). These are Deluxe features: Windshield is chrome, wheels are colored, has two cowl lights and both rear lights. Horn is missing so canīt use that. Santard features: The dash and window moldings are painted with a plain dark gray color which seems original as is rest of the paint. There is no cigar lighter or the ahstray in the center of dash either. This is an export car in South America, right hand drive. Hope barners from UK, NZ, etc can algo jump in with a comment as they have similar cars. Were export cars "packages" and trim different? Canīt find any info on the Early Ford 33-34 restoration manual on this topic. Hope to hear from many of you. Thanks. Manuel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front.jpg (60.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Body R side.jpg (43.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Dash.jpg (38.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Ford L front.jpg (47.5 KB, 94 views)
Doctor's Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
lee34

Default Re: 1933 Standard or Deluxe?

I think your car may be a delux with a standard dash.What shape are the top of the door window mouldings .I believe standard had raised part for your hand to grip.Delux had safety glass in all the windows and standard only used safety glass in the windshield. My 2 cents lee34
lee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
DavidG

Based on my years in South America, the presence of cowl lamps and two tail lamps on standard model Fords was commonplace (as it was the historical practice not to drive with the headlights on within cities). In other words, it was a local vehicle lighting requirement. The presence of the chrome-plated windshield frame is more difficult to explain away, however.

'33 standard and deluxe closed car door window garnish mouldings were the same in terms of the metal stamping; only the finish (paint versus woodgraining) was different. All but very early and very late '33 standards and deluxes had the same nickel-plated door-closing loops attached to the center of the door inner panels immediately below the garnish mouldings. The standard door garnish moulding with the raised finger grip was not adopted until September, 1933 when the nickel-plated loop was dropped. (Late deluxe closed cars used a pull-to cord as did very early '33 deluxes which were carried over from 1932 production.)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
David J

Yeah on this as the chrome windshield & no cigar lighter or ashtray don't belong together . Does your car happen to have a rear seat ashtray ? How about the bolts that hold the headlight stands to the fenders - do they both have holes through the center for horn wires to pass through ? Standards will only have a hole on the drivers side if the gennie bolts were used after discarding the horn-horns .
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Based on my years in South America, the presence of cowl lamps and two tail lamps on standard model Fords was commonplace (as it was the historical practice not to drive with the headlights on within cities). In other words, it was a local vehicle lighting requirement. The presence of the chrome-plated windshield frame is more difficult to explain away, however.

'33 standard and deluxe closed car door window garnish mouldings were the same in terms of the metal stamping; only the finish (paint versus woodgraining) was different. All but very early and very late '33 standards and deluxes had the same nickel-plated door-closing loops attached to the center of the door inner panels immediately below the garnish mouldings. The standard door garnish moulding with the raised finger grip was not adopted until September, 1933 when the nickel-plated loop was dropped. (Late deluxe closed cars used a pull-to cord as did very early '33 deluxes which were carried over from 1932 production.)
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
Fe26

Didn't the Deluxe also have two windshield wipers?
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
DavidG

Two wipers on deluxe models did not occur until mid-way in the '36 model year (as standard equipment).
Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
Doctor's Ford

This Saturday I will try to find the headlight bolts to see if they have a hole for the horn wiring but if they donīt it could be just because they were replaced (common thing around here). I will check the door molding also as suggested. Also I have found a somewhat square shaped ash tray on the floor the day I picked up the car. Will get a picture tomorrow. The interior has been all taken apart but I donīt recall seeing an ash tray site on the panels under the rear windows. I may have missed though. Thanks David for the tips.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
Doctor's Ford

These are pictures of the headlight and its bolts. Each light has 2 bolts and one of them is hollow with the wires going through it. The other bolt is a regular one. I see no difference at all between R and L headlight/brackets and bolts. Could it be this car had no outside horn? Did any Fords have the horn inside? Is this information helpful to differentiate standard vs deluxe?
Manuel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headlight.jpg (46.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Headlight assembly.jpg (31.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
Lawson Cox

Headlight stands are right and left. The bolt with wires going through it would be for the horn. That should be the left or drivers side one. All 33-34's had an outside horn, as did all previous years. First horn that was "hidden" was 36, and it was concealed behind a grille on the fender, not the large radiator grill.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:22 PM   #10
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
Headlight stands are right and left. The bolt with wires going through it would be for the horn. That should be the left or drivers side one. All 33-34's had an outside horn, as did all previous years. First horn that was "hidden" was 36, and it was concealed behind a grille on the fender, not the large radiator grill.
deluxe = two outside horns. two tail lights . . .
highbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 07:22 PM   #11
highbeams

deluxe = two outside horns. two tail lights . . .
Old 04-29-2022, 04:03 PM   #12
jimTN

I believe I may have seen your car several years ago during a Model T Ford national tour. It was a 4cyl and a rare car.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 04:44 PM   #13
DavidG

Correct with regard to two horns, but some jurisdictions required two tail lamps and others required separate parking lights (cowl lights in the case of pre-'35 Fords and fender lamps starting with the '35s) whether the car was a standard or deluxe.
Old 04-29-2022, 07:40 PM   #14
highbeams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Correct with regard to two horns, but some jurisdictions required two tail lamps and others required separate parking lights (cowl lights in the case of pre-'35 Fords and fender lamps starting with the '35s) whether the car was a standard or deluxe.
Thank you for the confirmation! I'll rest easy with it.

my '33= two (chrome?) caps, . . . & (chrome?)trumpets, dulled & pitted from the east-coast salt-air elements, Massachusetts area.
good cowl lights finish tho,(stainless?) headlights as well.(stainless?)

(dull & pitted grill & windshield surround) car stays unresto'd. At 75 I'm unresto'd.

Thanks much again.

Last edited by highbeams; 04-29-2022 at 07:57 PM. Reason: info