Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #1
jrapose

Default How to keep the windshield from flying up

Roadster problem..... I have a 1930 roadster that I like to drive with the windshield in the down position.... but at about 35mph. the wind gets under the windshield and blows it back into the upright position. I tried using nuts instead of the wing nuts to tighten it but it still pops up ......and usually scares the hell out the passenger.

Does anyone know how to lock it down.... I tried tying it to the cowl lamps but that is not a good solution... and I think the hood latch would bend if I used that...

The CHP has stopped me several times for driving with the windshield down but under the Year of Manufacture law it is legal... (as the car was intended to be driven on the road with the windshield down and advertised as so)

Thanks

Joel
Chester Ca,
jrapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:41 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: How to keep the windshield from flying up

In the days of rutted dirt washboard roads people did not have to worry about your problem.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Are you using any repro parts on the posts?

Do you wear eye protection, such as driving goggles?
I'm sure that's the law regardless of YOM?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #4
jrapose

Yes you must have eye protection...I have a aviators leather helmet and goggles that I wear....really gives you the sports car feel.

I also keep several pictures of cars being driven with the windshield down...so I can prove to CHP that it was that way in 1930.

This year the ole roadster will lead the 4th of July parade with the grand marshal driving... (not me)

Joel
jrapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #5
29Otis

I've used hood latches before, those usually hold down the windshields pretty well.
29Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
H. L. Chauvin

Whether legal or not, I heard of a guy years ago traveling in a Model A Roadster on a dusty gravel road at about 45 mph with his windshield folded down.

After he passed an oncoming car, highway visibility was impaired by airborne dust, but he did not slow down.

Everything was going just great until he ran into a huge starving buzzard returning to eat a dead rabbit in his lane -- scared the crap out of both of them -- cleanup was nothing at all to brag about when he got home -- besides, interior vehicle odor was far worse & lasted for months.

Hope this can help to caution someone traveling on a "dusty gravel road" with their windshield folded down.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Obviously this practice must be done with common sense and sound judgment ! The officer is not being mean, he is concerned about your safety and the safety of other people on the road. I also enjoy this practice but only on back roads and never at speeds over 25 to 30 miles per hour.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrapose View Post
Roadster problem..... I have a 1930 roadster that I like to drive with the windshield in the down position.... but at about 35mph. the wind gets under the windshield and blows it back into the upright position. I tried using nuts instead of the wing nuts to tighten it but it still pops up ......and usually scares the hell out the passenger.

Does anyone know how to lock it down.... I tried tying it to the cowl lamps but that is not a good solution... and I think the hood latch would bend if I used that...

The CHP has stopped me several times for driving with the windshield down but under the Year of Manufacture law it is legal... (as the car was intended to be driven on the road with the windshield down and advertised as so)

Thanks

Joel
Chester Ca,

I realize this will be a controversial topic but with all the responses, not a single person suggested that you actually 'restore' or correct the real problem!!

IMHO there is not a need for tying the stanchions down, --or using hood latches, ...or making some type of modification. Just fix (i.e.: restore) the stanchions where they pivot so the cones can do their job just as Henry engineered them to do. After welding up and filing the worn areas, the interference fit makes the system work. Then tighten wingnuts and they will stay locked down. Below are a couple of pictures I had that illustrate the two cones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0614.jpg (93.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0091.jpg (147.5 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0092.jpg (135.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0093.jpg (116.3 KB, 82 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
hardtimes

Hey Joel,
As Tom W alludes to/suggests, if you are using repro parts (like a lot of us) instead of 'perfect' original parts...you will most likely have to live with what you got ! IMO ford made a bad design for being down to start.

However, you do state that you have proper road/driving gear (goggles/hat,etc) to enjoy driving with windshield down. My suggestion/practice ...to avoid the anxiety that you're experiencing is to just remove the windshield when driving and not wanting it in up position. Quick and easy to remove and reinstall and no shake rattle roll bs...which wears it even worse,eh ! I use my roadster sometimes for years without windscreen. As far as it not staying in place, IMO, probably when new, or as new now, it stayed in place somewhat. But , with the road situation as it was back in 20s/30s..and going fast (35..lol) I'd bet that that new condition ...didn't last long under such conditions. Maybe that's why we have to use repro stuff, i.e.- stanchions , etc..
As far as safety/cops/windshield down/no windsield..., maybe every biker in the country without a windshield should be stopped. Stay young at heart with the wind in you face...and bugs in your teeth !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #10
pooch

As you are probably only using 2 positions, up and down.....

Inside each cone, you could drill 2 shallow locating holes about 100 degrees apart, the slight rake back upright and the horizontal down position and fit one short locating pin .

Or 2 slots and a tab, same thing .

Simply unscrew wingnut enough to move stanchion sideways out of location and into other location and tighten wingnut.

It should be all inside cone and never seen by anyone .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote