Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2022, 07:24 PM   #21
todd3131

Default Re: 1930 Tudor accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordsgt View Post
I am totally going over the whole car. Engine , trans are out all fenders off floor out and body lifting off frame next week. Body will stay at body shop for sanding, painting, I will check out the frame on the frame machine too insure it is straight but so far it looks good. Picking up a set of original front fenders tomorrow. Even though only 1 was damaged they were reproduction and I want original. Parts ordered to rebuild trans and I had a spare trans for the front bearing retainer. Rebuild spare clutch housing and got another flywheel housing. Was given another axle and radius arm. Doing all the work myself should leave me enough for a complete upholstery kit. So the plan is to have the car in much better condition than it was in
Good idea on the fenders. My car had two nos front fenders and the right was destroyed I looked for a non well but couldn't d find or afford at the time so did the steel repro and have never been happy with it I suppose I had better find an original now that I can find them and afford it. I saved the radiator shell but I wanted a better one so I bought a 31 slant project car that had a perfect shell on it l, put another on it and resold the car.
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #22
77Birdman

The big problem with the buy back is now I would surmise the car will have a salvage title? May effect future values and did you check to see if it can be insured with such?
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:09 AM   #23
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
The big problem with the buy back is now I would surmise the car will have a salvage title? May effect future values and did you check to see if it can be insured with such?
What you say about salvage title is accurate! It is now salvage forever! I speak from experience.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #24
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
The buyback can be an eye opener for people with old cars.With modern cars a lot of times the car can be bought back for pennies on the dollar sometimes.By the time the insurance company pays towing,storage,has it hauled,does the paperwork,etc.a lot of times it is better for them to just keep a little of your settlement and walk away.It doesn't work that way with old cars.For the most part they have a very good chance to recover a big piece of change,so they do.You do have the chance to bid on it like everybody else.Cherished value from Hagerty just became available in N.H.It will go into effect on my cars next month.I bought my 30 Coupe back after it was in a fire,but it was a true total loss.For them to hire equipment to dig it out from under a burned house was just cost prohibitive.
Keith, what is Cherished value?
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 09:51 AM   #25
1928Mik

Too bad about that A. They way people drive today is ridiculous. I have bought back two cars (one was a classic) that neither one had a salvage title issued. It was just money given to the insurance company to keep the car in my possession. Of course that was 20yrs + ago. Is it different now? I have Hagerty on both of my cars.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #26
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Keith, what is Cherished value?
I too have Hagerty insurance in Virginia. After reading this thread, I called them and added "Cherished Salvage" coverage to my policy. The additional premium was less than $20/yr. Basically, if your car is totalled, they pay the full insured amount and you keep the car. This coverage may not be available in every state.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CherishedSalvageCoverageVA (1).pdf (19.4 KB, 35 views)
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 11:11 AM   #27
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordsgt View Post
I also undervalued my car on the policy. The repair estimate was $7200 NOT including parts.

Needless to say they totaled the car and I bought it back and am fixing it myself. Most of the major parts that were damaged I had or was given to me. As I already had planned to pull the body off to repaint it all is happening a little early. It took about 1 month but the claim was paid and I am satisfied with Haggerty. When I put it back on the road I plan to up the value and elect a clause I was unaware of the For a small increase in cost ,about $20, you can get the car back if totaled with no charge. I had to buy my car back.

Likely in this case, if the agreed value was $9k, then the estimate of $7,200 was a formality for it to be considered a total-loss which is typically 80% of value.

So after it is repaired, what do you feel is the proper value for your car??

I have 'preached' here over & over that most hobbyists have their vehicles very under-insured. In my line of work, I see it all too often. The idea of the insurance is to return your car to the same condition as it was 5 seconds prior to the wreck. In the case of 400-500 hours to properly repair it ...multiplied by the shop's hourly rate -plus materials, you can easily be at $40k or more. The issue then becomes the insurance company says that replacement vehicles can be had for less money, however generally speaking, the vehicles that are available on the market are not of the same quality in mechanicals and/or aesthetics as what you have. I do wish you the very best in your repairs on your car, and also agree that angels were definitely all around you when that happened as it could have been much worse.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 01:27 PM   #28
nkaminar

Regarding salvage title. My wife's Saturn was hit in California and the DMV there wanted us to bring the car in for an inspection before they would issue a registration. We drove it to North Carolina and the DMV here said that they did not give a hoot what California wanted and registered the car. Not sure if this would apply to a salvage title.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:44 PM   #29
Ordsgt

Whether a car gets a salvage title or not varies by state. I will not have a salvage title. Yes I under insured it ($10,000)based on what I had paid for the car not looking at what I then put into it. As to what I think my car is worth it really makes no difference as I love my A and love driving it. I am retired that car is my hobby and I will put my labor and the insurance money back into the car and make it better than it was. I will also increase value to $15,000 and get the cherished salvage option. The repair estimate was not done by Haggerty but by a respected body shop who I chose and have dealt with before.
Ordsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:32 PM   #30
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxweb View Post
I too have Hagerty insurance in Virginia. After reading this thread, I called them and added "Cherished Salvage" coverage to my policy. The additional premium was less than $20/yr. Basically, if your car is totaled, they pay the full insured amount and you keep the car. This coverage may not be available in every state.
I had no idea about "Cherished Salvage", for an extra $20 bucks a year I'm going to add it to my '31 Model A and my '57 Chevy.

I wrecked my Harley, totaled, of course the lady turned right in front of me, but anyway I bought that back, fixed it, and my Chevy got creamed (another lady...just saying) bought that back too and fixed it.

Wish I knew about the "Cherished Salvage" then.

This tread has been an eye opener...thanks all
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:54 PM   #31
mercman from oz

This is Ordsgt's 1930 Ford Model A Sedan after the accident.
Good news that it is being repaired.
mercman from oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:58 PM   #32
ronn

very easy to make a salvage title disappear on an A

just chg the motor...........or numbers or.........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #33
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
very easy to make a salvage title disappear on an A

just chg the motor...........or numbers or.........

Does anyone care about who might be the next Buyer/Owner. Don’t they have a right to know if a car has been “TOTALED”????

What if you were that buyer?

Sorry, I would never want to be deceived, nor would I knowingly deceive anyone.

SAD.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 08:45 AM   #34
Keith True

Totaled is just a name.If that car had been insured for more it would have been repaired.It was only considered totaled because the cost to repair came up to a certain percentage of the total loss number.We don't require titles for old cars here in N.H. When my coupe was declared a total loss Hagerty asked if I wanted the remains.I said yes,they kept a little of the money,and said it's your car,do what you want with it.They also told me if I wanted to repair it to just send them a picture when it was done with a value and they would re-insure it.It is still actually insured with them,but only up to the $765.I paid them for it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:27 AM   #35
ronn

whn- many of the As we are now driving have been field cars..........

fact.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:07 AM   #36
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
whn- many of the As we are now driving have been field cars..........

fact.
I’ve been in this hobby for over 60 years. I know that antique cars could be made up by many different means.

There is a difference however in a known TOTALED car, and someone changing the title so it no longer shows as having been totaled or scrapped. Virus a car built from parts of many other cars or found in a field.

Knowingly changing a title to hid the fact of a potential problem. I think some buyers might consider fraud. I know that I would.

We all have are personal standards. When I sell something, I try to inform buyer of everything that I know about that item. If it was totaled and I had done it over. I think I would be showing the new owner everything great that had been done to make the car correct.

Buyer beware, how many times have we heard that.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:25 AM   #37
Ordsgt

I am not putting a plug in for a company but even though my car will have a clean title it will still show up as a total loss in Car Fax. Whatever I sell goes with the honest history of that item. I am not in this hobby to make a profit but to enjoy it. Changing an engine to hide the true Serial number to me is the same as altering a VIN which is a felony in Virginia
Ordsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:32 AM   #38
Keith True

I just don't think it makes any difference in an antique car.Newer cars is a different story.A few years ago I bought a 61 Volkswagen from the west coast that had a salvage title.It was a recovered theft that had been found a couple of years after the insurance claim was paid.There was no damage,but it was sold and titled as salvage.The title was not required here,but could be used in place of a handwritten bill of sale to register.I did my town clerk part of the process,and went to the registry.The girl there looked at it and said,cool,never saw one like this before.Then she turned around and fed it into the shredder.We aren't supposed to have more than one ownership document on a pre-title vehicle.all previous ones have to be destroyed.No new title was issued as we are a non title state for pre-2000.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #39
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I just don't think it makes any difference in an antique car.Newer cars is a different story.A few years ago I bought a 61 Volkswagen from the west coast that had a salvage title.It was a recovered theft that had been found a couple of years after the insurance claim was paid.There was no damage,but it was sold and titled as salvage.The title was not required here,but could be used in place of a handwritten bill of sale to register.I did my town clerk part of the process,and went to the registry.The girl there looked at it and said,cool,never saw one like this before.Then she turned around and fed it into the shredder.We aren't supposed to have more than one ownership document on a pre-title vehicle.all previous ones have to be destroyed.No new title was issued as we are a non title state for pre-2000.
Your missing the point here. We are talking about a title. Knowingly changing it so that it know longer shows totaled or scrapped.

In a no title state, anything goes. Buyer beware.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #40
ronn

well I believe the op discussing his car will rebuild the front end better then 70% of the cars that are owned here by ford barn members. to me, as Keith mentions, the title has absolutely no meaning as to what it says salvage, over the limit mileage etc etc.

In the end- to each his own. People get hung up on what titles say. I am more concerned with the quality of the car at hand.