Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-21-2023, 05:58 PM   #1361
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Jim Brierley asked a question some time back which has only now come to my attention.

Hi Jim. I hadn't replied because your question hadn't come to my attention. Sorry.
A VW Tiguan. I've had several VW's in the past and have always been happy with them- but not any more. Drives and rides well but complex in electrical toys of which I need very few. With the functions on steering wheel and dash I would think there would be more than 100 including sub-menus. I am not really that interested in knowing what they all do. The kids (and adults) who walk around with their head in an electronic devise would love it. My 30 year old Landcruiser is easier because it has only 1 electronic gadget and that is the radio and I can manage that.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 10-21-2023 at 06:19 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:30 AM   #1362
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
Have you ever noticed? There must be a connection between Model A's and Airplanes. I'm acft mechanic retire 41 years aviation, I drive '31 Budd Cab
Famous pilot Chuck Yeager drove an A. I know this because I read it in this very forum and here below is the link to that thread. g

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1961683

Old 10-24-2023, 11:13 AM   #1363
Jim Brierley

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Jim Brierley asked a question some time back which has only now come to my attention.

Hi Jim. I hadn't replied because your question hadn't come to my attention. Sorry.
A VW Tiguan. I've had several VW's in the past and have always been happy with them- but not any more. Drives and rides well but complex in electrical toys of which I need very few. With the functions on steering wheel and dash I would think there would be more than 100 including sub-menus. I am not really that interested in knowing what they all do. The kids (and adults) who walk around with their head in an electronic devise would love it. My 30 year old Landcruiser is easier because it has only 1 electronic gadget and that is the radio and I can manage that.
Woffa, your memory must be getting to be as poor as mine, you sent me an e-mail about this, and I agree with you. I also think that all of this modern technology may be OK, but it takes your eyes off the road to change thingd, not a good idea!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 11:40 PM   #1364
woofa.express

This is old news but I publish in case anyone missed it. I love it

Protesters entered a VW showroom and made a protest by gluing themselves to the floor, this was 1 year ago. At end of business the staff turned off the lights and heating leaving them in the dark and cold and went home as per normal. Don’t you like it; I do. Here is the link which will allow you to open and read for yourselves.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...-dark-25318066
The picture looks like pretty up market VW’s to me.

and in responce to you Jim my buddy- must be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-10-31 at 15.30.47.jpg (20.8 KB, 24 views)

Old 11-05-2023, 11:01 AM   #1365
woofa.express

Here is an article I wrote for our local flyers. I know many of you readers have aviation interests, but even if you don't, this I think may well interest you all. Here goes.

Bought upon by ones own hand. Unintentionally of course. It’s food poisoning and it’s serious. This was my experience.
I departed the East Malaysia port of Tawau for Darwin at first light and the only way I was going to get something to eat that day was at the market place and I bought chicken. Not really good food for an 11 hour flight but it was all that was available.
About 2 hours into the flight, about North Sulawesi my tummy was rumbling and it wasn’t goodo time. I knew what I was in for. To shorten what could be a long story here goes.
It started with vomiting then pooping. The product was loose and on the nose and came frequently. Details would be as unpleasant to describe as they were to experience and the experience was painful. Ag aeroplanes have no autopilot and thus need to be hand flown. I couldn’t figure out which way I was to point the nose to destination. I couldn’t hold altitude. I figured I may die and I really didn’t care. This continued for maybe 8 or 9 hours. I did rally a little about an hour from Darwin, where I had difficulty in finding accommodation because the military booked everything in preparation to enter East Timor. I was unable to eat and continued endeavouring to vomit and poop but I was dry. At about 3 in the morning I took a cab to hospital and following a long wait a doctor gave medicine to rectify. I asked him if I should be given a drink of charcoal and he agreed. It worked well. So well I didn’t shit for 5 days and that was equally uncomfortable.

It took a week for me to come good and regardless of how many times I showered and changed clothes I was told I smelt.

There was no refrigeration at the hotel I stayed the night prior to departure and food could not be kept in that tropical climate without it. Not advisable but in this case I would have been better by not eating or better still purchasing canned food the previous day. Landing in Indonesia? The last time any of our crew did they were greeted by military teenagers with fire arms demanding money. Also Australia had offended Indonesia because of the turn back boats policy and another crew, unassociated with us, were impounded and this became an international affair in retribution.
The prevention of food poisoning is why of course in a 2 crew aeroplane the pilots have separate meals.

Old 11-05-2023, 12:21 PM   #1366
Jim Brierley

And I thought I had endured some hard times!
Old 11-07-2023, 07:42 AM   #1367
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
And I thought I had endured some hard times!
Well Jim, I must respond to you. Your book. The first chapter, your childhood and upbringing. Specifically the hardships you and family endured. It does one good to be reminded of times in past history because we get things easy now. Well by comparison anyway.
I too grew up in hard times. Dairy farming making little money. Perhaps not as hard as you had it but never the less putting food on the table wasn’t easy for my parents. Dairy farming. My job was feeding calves. The little ones stood on my toes and feet and it hurt. That I shan’t forget. I preferred the tractor work and that was with a Farmall A. Never the less it was a good upbringing and that formed my character and behaviour I have today.
Please readers do think of the farmers who grew the food that comes across your table. And do read Jim Brierley’s book.

Old 11-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #1368
Jim Brierley

Woofa, The good thing about having hard times is that as we grow older we tend to forget how tough they were, maybe it's just my memory that starts to fail? Thank for the plug about my book! I can hardly believe that I've sold 2500 of them, 2501 counting the one that I rec'd an order for today!
Old 11-18-2023, 01:28 PM   #1369
woofa.express

It’s an Australian Slang saying.

This is a local saying meaning there is doubt. It started during WW1 when water for the troops was carted in a horse drawn water tank. Communication from one army camp to another was by the rider of the horse drawn Furphy water tank. The news may not necessarily be true or it has being changed or it is simply a rumour. Thus it’s a Furphy. It is a saying still used today even though the war ended 105 years ago.
Shepparton is a large town by Australian standards. Population 70,000 today. In the eighteen hundreds the enterprising Irish immigrant named John Furphy started a foundry in this town and amongst the useful farm equipment he made was a farm water cart with cast ends and a rolled steel galvanised barrel. Cast in one end is not only a Furphy promo and a ditty. It goes like this,
Good, better, best,
Never let it rest,
Till your good is better,
And your better is best.

The pictures are of the farm product, a soldier drinking water from the tank, see the soldier holding the pannikin and the ditty cast in the rear end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 17.33.17.jpg (19.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 17.35.37.jpg (20.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-11-17 at 17.36.39.jpg (19.8 KB, 19 views)

Old 11-19-2023, 07:44 AM   #1370
Fomoco998

Another interesting story Woofa keep them coming.
Fomoco998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 01:07 PM   #1371
woofa.express

This is for you Jim.

This story is in response to Jim Brierley’s story of his upbringing and the hardship that his family endured, as described in his book. I reckon I too was raised with considerable hardship but perhaps not as tough as Jim’s.
I grew up on a farm. It was a rough bit of country, overgrown with scrub and flax bush as it was low lying. Channels through out the farm kept water drained which was pumped off. A bit like we envisage in Holland. When the land was “ bought in” as Dad called it, dairy production was most suited. However we did not have the financial capital to purchase a herd of bovine let alone build a dairy so we started with sheep (ovine).
Many sheep would find themselves in these drains and my job was to ride a horse (Equus caballus otherwise nag) around and check for these floundering animals because they weren’t capable of swimming, then go and tell Dad who would ride to the location and rescue them. Their fleece was soaked which made them too heavy for a little kid to manage.
My nags name was Pat. I had no saddle but could canter but when Pat’s head was turned towards home he would gallop. I held on tightly by my legs and holding his mane as well as the bridle. I was never a horse person and still aren’t. I wanted a bicycle but we simply didn’t have the money. They weren’t found at the rubbish tip in those days like they are today. Every other kid had a bicycle. I felt deprived.
I never developed a liking or rapport with a horse and the only time I ever backed one was in 1971 at the remote Kimberly town of Halls Creek. Kingdom Come was the animals name. Put $2 on him. A bloke I was aerial mustering for gave me a hot tip, l didn’t realise he was the owner. I haven’t backed any nag since. I’m not into gambling, I’m not against it, it just doesn’t give me any excitement. End of chapter 1.

Even those of you who have never been involved with horses or cattle would know it is common to stop or cool an animal or a mob by saying in a loud and comforting voice “whoa or whoa boy”.
What is the rider or driver or jockey of a harness horse or trotter is called. I guess it doesn’t really matter here. However one such fellow who lived not too far from us here at Tocumwal developed a most unique command. To encourage his animal to run faster repeatedly holler “Whoa Boy”. He entered his nag in a harness race at Shepparton and on the home strait repeatedly bellowed his command. The competing animals became confused and slowed in preparation of stopping whilst his animal put in extra effort. He won the race of course however was warned or threatened against future use of his tactic. No doubt he had backed his nag well for a win. That’s ingenuity in what is this sometimes a crooked industry wouldn’t you agree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 08.48.20.jpg (22.6 KB, 6 views)

Old 11-25-2023, 02:05 PM   #1372
Jim Brierley

We had horses when I was a kid, one at a time of course. I liked them then, and still do, even after having had one run away with me when I was 12 or 13. His name was Colonel, and was an ex army horse that really liked to run. I was riding with a friend, he let his horse get a really big lead on me, I finally eased up on my reins, just a bit, and Colonel got the bit in his mouth, and took off. About 5 miles later a couple of ex cowboys came along side of me in a '36 Plymouth, and pulled me off the saddle. Colonel slid to a stop just as the signal turned red! The Sherriff's station was just a few doors down, so the cowboys took me there, they called my Mom and she brought my brother and he rode Colonel home. We had just removed Colonel's shoes prior to being re-shod. This probably was a good thing as he didn't loose his footing during the ride.
Old 12-01-2023, 04:09 PM   #1373
woofa.express

Another for you Jim.
Our farm. The transition from draft horse to tractor.

Perhaps I was hasty in saying I had no rapport with horses. I had forgot a draft horse we had and he worked well for us. Easy to catch, easy to harness up and willingly pull a dray. We would load this dray with baled hay to feed our cattle. It was heavy so we had to push on the wheels to help it up a small incline of a channel bank. I feel somewhat guilty because I have forgotten this willing workers name. I don’t recall what ever happened to him but I do hope he didn’t have an undignified death to feed the dogs (hunting hounds).
I do remember our first tractor. An A. No, not any adaption of my favourite motor car; the Ford Model A, but a Farmall Model A. I’ll post an internet picture below this story. We had used on occasions my granddads International W4 and I had learned to drive this, I say drive but not really. I was too small to engage the clutch and knew nothing about gears. That all came progressively. Back to the Farmall A story. We used waste oil in the engine. Dad had several 44 gal drums of this. They were tipped a bit to the side and chocked so as the rain ran off the top and not into the oil. The pump was about 12 inches short of the drum bottom so we didn’t pick up carbon and trash that had settled over the long period they had sat waiting to be used. The Farmall burned standard (low octane) fuel, remember all engines in those days were low compression. I remember dad’s disappointment when the price rose from 5 pence a gallon to 7 pence. He said we were trying to develop a farm and eat as well and this would be difficult at this price escalation. I can also remember one evening he driving to the church to borrow money so as he could feed us. As a child I didn’t understand the hardship we (and we weren’t Robinson Crusoe) endured.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 08.03.53.jpg

Old 12-02-2023, 09:40 PM   #1374
woofa.express

I had forgotten to post a picture of the Farmall A. I do hope it's not the early onset of alzheimers. This is for the story below. Number 1374. This is an internet picture. It's too flash to be ours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 13.35.55.jpg (21.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-09-2023 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-08-2023, 06:18 PM   #1375
woofa.express

And so it’s Christmas.

What a great time of year. Families come together and kids opening Christmas day gifts in haste and excitement.
It does have some negatives of course. With all that fine food on the dining table we can tend to over eat. When I was a kid myself and all kids ate too much Christmas pudding because there was 3 and 6 penny pieces imbedded in it. And when we got older we drank too much, justifying it by saying we needed to keep the fluids up to maintain hydration. This continued until our brain and body matured and changed.
It is also a sad time for those who have lost someone in their family or suffered hardship let them know you are thinking of them. They will accept this with gratitude.

Yesterday I decorated “Woofa express” with Christmas décor and put her on display outside our front gate. I have a window dressing mannequin which I have named “Nick” (for the obvious reason) but he is naked and waiting for his warm artic attire from eBay including his warm cuffs- white mink skins (no animals harmed because it is synthetic of course). He likes his warm outfit even though 42C (107F) is forecast today.
I hope you too enjoy this Christmas and for those of you who live in sad or unfortunate circumstances I hope you can find some enjoyment on this special day.

Gary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0071.jpg (70.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0074.jpg (63.6 KB, 8 views)

Old 12-10-2023, 08:38 AM   #1376
Fomoco998

Woofa looks great Merry Christmas Gary and family.
Fomoco998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 01:38 PM   #1377
woofa.express

I bet this is news to you?

One of many things I enjoy at Christmas are the Christmas Carols. I hadn’t known until yesterday the reckoning and origin of this very old carol “the twelve days of Christmas.” Each of the twelve days feature birds which represents an individual, a group or a happening.Taking a guess that most of you readers don't know either so let me tell you or rather provide a web site that will.
So here is the website. I think most of you will be enlightened and surprised.
https://www.birdspot.co.uk/culture/t...s-of-christmas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 05.21.22.jpg (21.4 KB, 11 views)

Old 12-23-2023, 01:04 PM   #1378
Jim Brierley

Very interesting, I'll never think about that song in the same way again!
Old 12-24-2023, 02:53 PM   #1379
woofa.express

Ever wonder who writes this stuff?
I sometimes wonder about the bloke who is writing in this forum and what he looks like. Well I am about to tell you a few things about myself and include a picture. If that makes you feel a little nauseous click the ‘finish now’ button.
I have a very generic face and a spreading forehead which is a bit like the creeping desert. It is unusual to see me without a fedora brimmed hat; straw in summer and woollen feldt in winter. It does not show clearly here but I wear braces, I wear only cotton or woollen clothing. I dislike caps but did wear them when it was necessary to don a headset.

I live in a state border town by the name Tocumwal which is on the banks of the Murray River. The town had a population of only 800 when I first came in 1978 and was great. It’s now over 3,000. There has been a migration from the Victorian state capital of Melbourne and now so much of the population is urban. We have lost the small community spirit and close community support which we once had. These urbane folk are different, they seem to have a uniform consisting of plastic clothing frequently with writing on their shirts such as ‘I Love Paris’ or the manufacturers name in large print. Walking billboards they are. When passing on the footpath (sidewalk for American readers) they avoid eye contact, they take their companion dogs shopping, take them to the vet for ‘check-ups’ and call the dog wash people when they think doggy needs a bath. They drive squeaky clean motorcars that which they manicure at a car wash.

Farming is our prime industry but farmers seem to be of less importance these days. Supermarkets seem to be considered the source of food. But farmers grow the food that is put on my dining table and yours too. They work hard and frequently for little money. Do give them a thought when you sit for a meal. They are the providers and are the salt of the earth. Many believe tourism is the future to our salvation. Don’t fall for this.

And I must mention my thoughts on new motor cars. Mine has what must be at least 100 features and instructions on the dash board which are quite unnecessary. It is dangerous because it is distracting. A better place for these cars would be in a penny arcade where the young ones could play on them and entertain themselves for hours. Yes, I am cynical aren’t I? Also of modern governments, bureaucracies, large corporate companies and the mentalities of the many who manage and administer the stupidity they impose on us mortals and their waste. God- curse them.

But you, the reader I hope your Christmas is most enjoyable and you gather with your family for Christmas day and unite or renew your family ties and I hope enjoy yourselves. And enjoy your Model A.

Gary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 06.36.44.jpg (20.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by woofa.express; 12-26-2023 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 12:52 PM   #1380
Jim Brierley

Woofa, you look great to me! Here in SoCal there are a lot more newbie's around, there were about 10,000 when we bought our 2 1/2 acres in 1985, now there are a little North of 100,000! There was one traffic light, a few stop signs and 4 wineries. Today there are an uncountable number of signals and 40+ wineries. my wife saw something just the other day that said we are #10 in destination spots for wineries! Many of the wineries have award winning products, but the traffic is sometimes horriffic. We live on a 1/4 mile long, dirt, dead-end street, but the neighbors are great! I do wear tee shirts with printing on them, saying [I]Antique Nationals[I] on them, and have pictures of a members car, different for each year, I hope this doesn't upset you! I too wear a hat when I go anyware, to keep the sun off of my nearly naked head.