Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
jesselashcraft

Default Ruckstell question

Tom Carnegie wrote an alternative solution to mounting the Ruckstell shift lever for his club's news letter. I thought Tom had an elegant solution so I downloaded the article. I ended up buying an intact parking brake lever and apparatus on Ebay from a 1923 Model T and so far, I'm pleased with how this is turning out. I had the plates and bushing fabricated at a local shop. I'll be going back there eventually so they can fabricate an actuation rod that looks like the actuation rods for the parking brake except the "hump" for clearance around the radius rod is in a different place (the conduit doesn't suit me). I haven't bent the shift lever yet. Before I start drilling holes:

1) When the transmission is out of Ruckstell, I assume the lever on top of the differential is toward the rear, yes? The book says it's "high" which, I assume is the Ford gears or "Out of Ruckstell." Is that right?
2) How much does the tip of that differential lever move ("throw") when the transmission comes from out of Ruckstell to in Ruckstell? (Two or three inches maybe?)
3) How much throw is there at the top of the gear shift lever in the cockpit IOW, how far does your hand move shifting the Ruckstell? (Three to four inches, I'm guessing, between in and out of Ruckstell?)

Hope this note finds you all in good health.

Last edited by jesselashcraft; 07-11-2020 at 03:53 PM.
jesselashcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
jesselashcraft

Default Re: Ruckstell question

Attachments failed to load:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0529.JPG (99.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0530.JPG (104.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0531.JPG (110.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0532.JPG (139.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
gz

As you can see, a Ruckstell shifter requires very little throw distance. At the base of your hand lever-where it comes through the floor- it only moves a couple of inches. Of course, the longer your lever, the longer the distance of the throw at the top will be at the top of the lever. Yes, "high" is out of Ruckstell.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
jesselashcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz View Post
At the base of your hand lever-where it comes through the floor- it only moves a couple of inches.

Thanks for the info, gz. I haven't rode in a car with the Ruckstell yet and I'm having an actuation rod manufactured. I'd rather not have to lengthen the hole in the floorboard to accomodate the shift lever in the aft-most "Ruckstell" position. In the written material, I didn't get the impression that the hole had to be modified to acomodate the new shift lever.

Last edited by jesselashcraft; 07-26-2020 at 01:06 PM.