Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
ronzmtrwrx

Default Junk or repairable?

I bought these old 59A style Sharp heads and after blasting one, I see that I may have bought some nice wall art. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0770.jpg (61.0 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0772.jpg (90.5 KB, 293 views)
ronzmtrwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Junk or repairable?

Looks like you are correct.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
tubman

I was going to offer some encouraging advice until I blew the pictures up; now, not so much.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Seth Swoboda

I prefer cast iron heads. Better performance, less maintenance and troubles. Unless you're going for the aluminum look.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #5
Tony, NY

Looks like it was poor casting from the get-go.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:33 AM   #6
skidmarks

If they were mine i would mess with them, worse case its a wall hanger. If you dont have the ability and equipment to try and repair them, paying someone would be to exspensive .
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzmtrwrx View Post
I bought these old 59A style Sharp heads and after blasting one, I see that I may have bought some nice wall art. What do you guys think?
Hey Ron,
A lot of 'cracks' going on in just the two pics that you show. I would alum weld up the wear/oxidation or JB, but those cracks would stop me until after thorough check...for more cracks.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
ronzmtrwrx

These are the only ones I find on this head. I'll blast the other one this evening and check it out. I have an oven and a tig as well as a mill, so I'll probably give it a go anyway. The heavy corrosion will be an issue I'm sure. They were cheap and now I see why. Lol. I'll take pics as I go just in case I'm able to pull it off. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Ol' Ron

drill a 1/8 hole st the end of each crack. The one the corrosion won't hurt anything, but afterblasting fill with JB weld. Torque heads at 45 ft/lbs through 3 heat cycles. Might consider setting pidyon to head clearance to 40/50 thou. Good luck
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #10
JWL
Member Emeritus

I would fix em. Now, after saying that, I will also add the fact that welding on old heads can REALLY be frustrating.

Looks like some windows from the top side might be needed.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:35 PM   #11
Bubsyouruncle

You might be better off getting better heads at lower higher initial cost than trying to repair those.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #12
Vics Stuff

When blasting Aluminum. Need to be real careful around type of casted parts
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #13
Ronnieroadster

Repairing the corrosion with JB weld. For the crack I would put an aluminum tube in each of the bolt holes A good source for aluminum tubing is available in short lengths from Aircraft Specialty Spruce this type of repair I have done with good results using material from them. For a tubing size use 1/2 inch outside diameter with a 7/16 inside diameter locktite applied to the tubing will help seal the crack and I bet you will be able to use the head with out any welding or special work other than a drill press. If the crack is seen on the top of the head then thats another problem where only careful welding will posibly save the head.
Ronnieroadster
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:30 AM   #14
Andy

I think the first pic shows a casting flaw that does not hurt anything. The second pic shows a crack but again, I don't think it hurts anything. I would run them and see. All you are risking is a pair of head gaskets. I would be interested if you decide to sell them.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 07:48 AM   #15
Capt Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Repairing the corrosion with JB weld. For the crack I would put an aluminum tube in each of the bolt holes A good source for aluminum tubing is available in short lengths from Aircraft Specialty Spruce this type of repair I have done with good results using material from them. For a tubing size use 1/2 inch outside diameter with a 7/16 inside diameter locktite applied to the tubing will help seal the crack and I bet you will be able to use the head with out any welding or special work other than a drill press. If the crack is seen on the top of the head then thats another problem where only careful welding will posibly save the head.
Ronnieroadster
I actually like this idea and think it may work. If I were doing it, I would expand a bit on the method though. The holes look pretty rough. I'd take it to a machine shop and have them machine the holes smooth and use aluminum tubing that is almost a press fit...or a shrink fit. Worth a try and shouldn't be that expensive.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #16
ronzmtrwrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Ronnieroadster
That is what I had planned except I was planning to sleeve all four of the head bolt holes with a .625 od tube instead of .500 after I make the welding repairs. It's hard to tell how thick the wall is on the head bolt holes, so I may need to back off a little on the od of the tube I install. Since there's only four to do, I'll just make them myself on the lathe. The cracks go up the side of a couple of the bolt holes but I figured the epoxy I apply will remedy that. There's no issues on the top side other than the heads have been bolted on several times with no flat washers. The top surface of the bolt holes need cleaned up so I'm going to lightly ream each head bolt hole to true them up and then make a counter bore with a pilot to fit the holes and counterbore each one just enough to locate the flat washer which will have an id slightly larger than 7/16" for a little wiggle room. I think I can get them back into runnable condition. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #17
tubman

I did the "Aluminum Tube Trick" on the Edmunds heads on my '51. It was not so much to repair anything but to allow the heads to be located more precisely. I think it would also make a good repair. I used 7/16" ID - 1/2" OD tube from a place called "Online Metals". So far, so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0765.jpg (63.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0766.jpg (61.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0767.jpg (41.1 KB, 45 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote