Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
fordhistory

Default "T for Two" screenplay

I am working on a screenplay about two young women who drive across the country in a Model T in 1918. They buy a brand new 1918 touring car and drive from New York City to San Francisco. They pretty much take the Yellowstone Highway which takes them from NYC to Detroit, to Chicago, up to Milwaukee, over to Missoula, across the Bitterroot Mountains between Montana and Idaho, along the Columbia River Gorge, down to Bend, OR, and then down the Central Valley of California to San Francisco. They drive the entire distance going only 15 miles per hour. Yes, that is correct, only 15 miles per hour.
Now, here are my questions: How many times would they have to adjust the brake band? Could they go all the way from NY to CA without the need to adjust the brake band? Or would they have to adjust the brake band every so often? How often?
I want to show what it took to drive a Model T, and if the brake band needed to be adjusted, I want to show the in the movie.
Henry Dominguez
fordhistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #2
15max

Default Re: "T for Two" screenplay

In my opinion it would depend on how experienced they were at driving a Model T and how much up hill driving they encountered. Careful driving might get 2 or 3 hundred miles before an adjustment of the low band. One steep hill or a bout with thick mud could result in an adjustment. A trip like that could even result in having to replace a band one or more times. The brake band wear could be minimal. Little traffic and careful use of low gear descending hills would not require a lot of braking.
15max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Royce P

Sounds interesting!

I think they would likely have to not only adjust, but possibly replace both the brake and clutch bands on a trip like that. I would expect that the roads would be either severely rutted if dry, or extremely muddy if wet. Either way low band and brake band would get a work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordhistory View Post
I am working on a screenplay about two young women who drive across the country in a Model T in 1918. They buy a brand new 1918 touring car and drive from New York City to San Francisco. They pretty much take the Yellowstone Highway which takes them from NYC to Detroit, to Chicago, up to Milwaukee, over to Missoula, across the Bitterroot Mountains between Montana and Idaho, along the Columbia River Gorge, down to Bend, OR, and then down the Central Valley of California to San Francisco. They drive the entire distance going only 15 miles per hour. Yes, that is correct, only 15 miles per hour.
Now, here are my questions: How many times would they have to adjust the brake band? Could they go all the way from NY to CA without the need to adjust the brake band? Or would they have to adjust the brake band every so often? How often?
I want to show what it took to drive a Model T, and if the brake band needed to be adjusted, I want to show the in the movie.
Henry Dominguez
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #4
J Franklin

Even on long trips people could find a Ford garage to do adjustments and repairs in every small burg. I think many travelers used these resources more than we realize. It probably cost a few cents to have bands adjusted at a dealership.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
fordhistory

Excellent input! Thank you. Just what I was looking for.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
tmodelman

For some primary research, recommended reading is 'Ford Tramps', by Seegar Swanson, 1999, Palmer Publications, WI, ISBN0-9671882-0-2. found on Amazon and other book sellers.

In 1924-25 two twenty year olds drove to all 4 corners of the USA, in a used 1919 Model T. Contains details of repairs, mostly tubes and tires, replacing with used tires to save expense, along with battery and generator troubles (1919 first year of 6 v battery, electric starter, and generator), radiator leaks, and band tightening and replacement of linings. Yellowstone grades got the most of their low band lining. They ran mostly 20mph on the best roads, averaged 60 miles a day, some days up to 150 miles.

At one point had overhaul of the used engine, as the crankcase broke, and leaked oil, and needed replacement for $11, and a new cylinder head, $6, other repairs, cost them with labor, $52.70! Great read.
tmodelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:41 AM   #7
Dodge

Look For a local Model T Club in your area, get on the Model T Ford Club of America site
and find one. You don't have to be a member or own a Model T.
Go speak to them and take a ride and film it. Someone will let you ride along for a tour.
They might even have a seminar about adjusting bands ect.
Try it you'll like it....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 AM   #8
fordhistory

All good stuff! Thanks!
Old 02-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
Steve Jelf

While 15 mph may seem slow, it would be quite reasonable on many of the 1918 roads. But by that time the rapid improvement of roads nationwide was well underway, and cruising at 30 to 35 mph was possible in many places.
Steve Jelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
fordhistory

My screenplay is based on a true story. One of the women recounted her trip when she was around 90 years old, back in 1990. I did not talk to her myself, but if I had, I would have asked her why she only drove 15 mph, but Steve answered the question. She also never mentioned getting gas, or adjusting/replacing bands. But she was an old lady then, and the interviewer was not technical enough to ask these questions. Too bad! But she did tell some good stories about their adventures..., good enough that I think they will make a good movie or TV movie. Stay tuned!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:49 PM   #11
15max

You are to be commended for saving these memories. Those of us who have these cars like to hear how they were used. It may give others some interest in the Model T. I appreciate your interest in detail.

You might find some insight in a 1918 or so Touring Guide booklet for that area. It would describe the road conditions and services available. Let us know more as it happens.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mappp.jpg (47.4 KB, 12 views)
15max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #12
Sunnybrook Farm

Here is a link to a free copy of the manual that would have come with their car. It may give you some ideas on things that they would have had information on how to work on. I have read it several times and find it very interesting.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46206
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote