Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #1
john charlton

Default Dropping the pan , recent You Tube .

I watch the videos posted by the man with the nice sport coupe and town sedan he also has a wife who features sometimes . Whenever he posts a new video he is very informative and well worth watching although I was not too sure about the front wheel bearing adjustment but it works fine for him . The latest one about a week ago he drops the pan on a coupe . He uses the tool to hold the oil pump in place when he drops the pan as he does not want to retime the engine although I cant see how this can be . When I drop the pan I want the pump to come down with it . I can check it out ,check for wear , clean the guaze screen almost always has some debris in it . I check the bottom plate and if worn I polish the underside and invert it. I do not use a gasket but make sure it spins freely especially after changing the gears etc etc .I check the retaining spring these do suffer from corrosion . I was very surprised he did not pop out the dipper tray and clean out the pan bottom even with a clean dipper. My experience is that even at best there is an aluminium/babbitt deposit sometimes quite hard from mostly piston skirt wear . I like my pans clinically clean !!! . When put the pan back I hold the pump in place with a cable tie I will get my son to post the modus operandi .When the pan is in place and held by a few slack bolts I clip the tie and pull clear .

John in Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 02:45 PM   #2
Juggler

Default Re: Dropping the pan , recent You Tube .

He's dragged me away from the Bath v Sale game (rugby) for this. Sigh.

17 all at half time if anyone is interested...

IMG_0255
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:25 PM   #3
Synchro909

I watch the videos posted by the man with the nice sport coupe and town sedan he also has a wife who features sometimes .
That would be Paul Shinn?
I agree that the engine should not need to be retimed after dropping the sump. That would only be needed if the drive gear is removed from the valve chamber.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:31 PM   #4
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I watch the videos posted by the man with the nice sport coupe and town sedan he also has a wife who features sometimes .
That would be Paul Shinn?
I agree that the engine should not need to be retimed after dropping the sump. That would only be needed if the drive gear is removed from the valve chamber.
Yes, he's talking about Paul Shinn. I noticed that comment about timing when I was watching the video as well and thought it odd. Other than that, though - I'd be happy to trade his oily/greasy/dirty underside for mine (unrestored and 90K+ miles - yuck!).

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 10:51 AM   #5
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
.I like my pans clinically clean !!! . John in Suffolk County England .
In my Model A the dipper tray was welded in place by some PO, so it doesn't get removed, I just clean underneath it best I can.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:50 PM   #6
JKY

Well, at least he's out there posting information and getting people interested in the hobby. My bet is that he did pull out the dipper tray, just didn't show it. I learned a lot from this video and many of his other ones.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. Might not be your way, but the cat got skinned.
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #7
john charlton

Check out his latest the police car one . I am a big fan and any way he skins his cat is just fine with me . We should be pleased he takes the time to do these videos with no real gain to himself and maybe get younger folk interested .

Elderly John in Suffolk County England .
Old 05-15-2021, 07:12 PM   #8
JKY

Thanks John. He's really trying to keep these cars alive.
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
mgambuzza

He does a good job sparking newbie interest in the cars, video documenting procedures like the oil pan/adjusting brakes/lubricating/ installing Mitchells/etc. From some of my past experience it takes a fair amount of time after the raw video is taken to import, edit, then post, so I give him big kudos for his endeavors. I remember him mentioning he was going to do the video of the oil pan, I just wish he had filmed a few more parts that he completed in the background such as installing the front and back portions, tricks when installing/adhering the gasket, and the final installation. Sometimes a picture/video is worth a thousand words. Keep those videos coming!!
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:22 AM   #10
P.S.

Thank you for the kind words.

The part about retiming the car was a flub. I was thinking ahead of my mouth. I'm just a regular guy, not some polished TV star. Sorry about that one.

The oil pump looked fine. If it looked even remotely clogged with anything, I would have dropped it. But after seeing the oil that came out, I decided to keep it in place, like 90% of regular (non expert) people do when dropping the pan. This video series on "Operation Hooptie" is 't meant to be an all inclusive how-to on everything. It's meant to be a bare minimum to get from hooptie to monthly club tour participant. I'm trying to illustrate how simple the cars are and how even a neglected inexpensive Model A can be made good enough with minimal money and effort to go have some fun in it.

I did clean out the pan. That was given a quick mention. Didn't show removing dipper tray and cleaning the pan because it was uneventful and boring. The video was already too long.

The next one coming out this weekend will be brakes, wheel bearings, etc. Since this car is not getting restored, only serviced and minor repairs, it's a series of video for "average guys" who buy a hooptie Model A and want to take it out for occasional club tours. Not a full step by step frame-up restoration how-to. Some of you guys here are way beyond the scope of this video series.

Feel free to pick apart the dumb stuff I do. I never pretend to be an expert, just a guy with an iphone on a tripod who does everything with one take and no fancy crew, editing software, talent, etc.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:03 AM   #11
bob from red oak

Your videos are very much appreciated. Thank you from someone who got my first A at 70 yrs old and still learning the basics.
bob from red oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
I'm ... just a guy with an iphone on a tripod who does everything with one take and no fancy crew, editing software, talent, etc.
You are the Man!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:12 AM   #13
Model A Ron

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words.

The part about retiming the car was a flub. I was thinking ahead of my mouth. I'm just a regular guy, not some polished TV star. Sorry about that one.

The oil pump looked fine. If it looked even remotely clogged with anything, I would have dropped it. But after seeing the oil that came out, I decided to keep it in place, like 90% of regular (non expert) people do when dropping the pan. This video series on "Operation Hooptie" is 't meant to be an all inclusive how-to on everything. It's meant to be a bare minimum to get from hooptie to monthly club tour participant. I'm trying to illustrate how simple the cars are and how even a neglected inexpensive Model A can be made good enough with minimal money and effort to go have some fun in it.

I did clean out the pan. That was given a quick mention. Didn't show removing dipper tray and cleaning the pan because it was uneventful and boring. The video was already too long.

The next one coming out this weekend will be brakes, wheel bearings, etc. Since this car is not getting restored, only serviced and minor repairs, it's a series of video for "average guys" who buy a hooptie Model A and want to take it out for occasional club tours. Not a full step by step frame-up restoration how-to. Some of you guys here are way beyond the scope of this video series.

Feel free to pick apart the dumb stuff I do. I never pretend to be an expert, just a guy with an iphone on a tripod who does everything with one take and no fancy crew, editing software, talent, etc.

Thanks Paul
You always do a wonderful job of explaining the simplicity of the Model A. I have been your average old car guy for 30 years and decided to get a Model A after watching all of your videos. In my opinion you do bridge the gap between the Baby Boomers and Gen X. I have a feeling you will see your viewership continue to grow. Keep up the good work and thanks for doing what you do!!!

Ron
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #14
Kinner

Thanks for the videos Paul. Keep them coming.
Kinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:11 AM   #15
psimet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
In my opinion you do bridge the gap between the Baby Boomers and Gen X.
^- This. As a Gen X'er with a heavy mechanical background (Purdue MET, Heavy metal fab Industry, Professional Bicycle Mechanic, Own my own bicycle wheel manufacturing company, have a well followed YouTube channel for cycling mechanical stuff, etc) I have been having "boomer fatigue" in the A world.

The vast majority of the A enthusiasts and knowledge base is 70+ yrs old. That just comes with a different experience base and problem solving structure. There's a lot taken for granted.

I have every book imaginable regarding the A and have been collecting the books for nearly 25 years. Now that I am laying hands on my '28 tudor I am finding there are a ton of specifics and nuances that just aren't in the books, in threads, etc.

Common response has been "join a club" - been a little difficult to during the pandemic. Hopefully that's changing. In the meantime I still can't find answers to basic questions.

Paul's videos have been one of the only things keeping me from pulling my hair out.

I love boomers. I respect the level of knowledge that exists but I do believe it's time to move that knowledge on into more modern forms of storage in order to not lose it. This from a guy who is almost 50. I thank Paul for doing such great work. I wouldn't be here without it.
psimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #16
wwirz

Paul Shinn does a great job on his videos. I always recommend them. His enthusiasm for our hobby is contagious!
wwirz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 10:38 AM   #17
mgambuzza

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimet View Post
Paul's videos have been one of the only things keeping me from pulling my hair out.

I love boomers. I respect the level of knowledge that exists but I do believe it's time to move that knowledge on into more modern forms of storage in order to not lose it. This from a guy who is almost 50. I thank Paul for doing such great work. I wouldn't be here without it.

Ditto to that. I was running into this situation with my 1973 450SL with the D-Jetronic system troubleshooting - those in the know were passing on, the complicated troubleshooting devices obsolete/unavailable, so working on these were almost completely done "in the dark" When I had control point issues last summer, I was buying distributors, Control Point modules (no longer available - have to rely on faith on used/ran good when last used), wires, cap, AAV - the parts list seemed endless and the dollars were like a gas fed fire. The Control point consisted of a series of four sets of points, run off two cams inside the distributor - which controlled the discharge of fuel for the injection system, and another cam with points on the top of the distributor for the ignition. There were points troubleshooting this where I think I invented new words when troubleshooting just to get this to run right - and no one at that time had comprehensive videos, let alone simple videos to walk you through troubleshooting many of these items.

Paul's videos lured me to the Model A, and now as an owner, I am amazed on the ease of getting parts, the high volume of expertise in forums/chats, and the camaraderie from others who own them. Even when I get in a jam, I don't have to have a PhD in Electrical and Automotive technology to keep it running. Keep those videos coming Paul!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mercedes Control Points.jpg (73.1 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by mgambuzza; 05-20-2021 at 07:18 PM.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #18
Slowmotoring

Paul shinn is the man! I am a first time model a owner and have spent many hours watching his videos. I find them to be pretty informative and entertaining. Definitely a good role model for the model a hobby. Definitely jealous of his collection, both the cars and parts! Thanks for the videos paul, keep up the good work!
Old 05-21-2021, 08:06 PM   #19
Bill G

Keep 'em coming, Paul!
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #20
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKY View Post
Thanks John. He's really trying to keep these cars alive.
I agree for sure !
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:15 AM   #21
alexiskai

My favorite thing about the P.S. videos right now is how he's started adding clickbait titles, like "you WON'T BELIEVE what I found" and "you'll be SHOCKED at what I found."

Spoiler alert: you probably will not be shocked.

But what's great is that it totally works. The pan-drop video, which was the first to have a title like this, got ten times the views he was averaging before that.

More power to you, man. Get the word out.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:41 PM   #22
P.S.

Thanks, guys. Since I was partially disabled for a few days, I took some online classes to try and learn more about making successful videos. Always eager to learn new things! In 2 days, I learned a lot.

First thing I learned is that my videos are really low quality compared to most others on YouTube. That's OK though since my goal isn't to get millions of subscribers, or be some kind of video star, but just to share my over-the-top enthusiasm for the Model A and some tips to help others. That's it. The titles alexiskai mentioned were just an experiment. Turns out, that's pretty much what it takes these days to get a video noticed.

For the record, I never have, and never would drag a Model A with a new rebuilt motor in it! In the minds of some, every bad video is my fault I guess. Also, if web forum "experts" think I'm an idiot, that's fine. I don't care. My only goal is to help others, and especially new and potential Model A owners. The real experts already know more than me, they don't need my videos. I make the videos for everyone else, and those who are thinking about maybe owning a Model A.

When I read stories from people like a few here in this thread who decided to own a Model A because of my videos, then that's good enough for me! While the web forums complain that the hobby is shrinking, I borrowed my wife's iphone and tripod and did something about it. I show people how easy and fun it is to own and maintain a Model A. I don't argue on web forums anymore. I discovered it is pointless and does nothing to grow Model A enthusiasm with the younger crowd. So, those who criticize my videos only make me want to do more because they aren't for them, they are for people like the ones I mentioned.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #23
Brendan

Thanks Paul, I subscribed to your youtube channel, and I look forward to your videos

Brendog 67 Rat

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:56 PM   #24
Ernie Vitucci

Good Evening...I agree with Brendan...Paul is helping many of us...showing us what he does and encourging younger folks with a bit of extra money to pick up a Model 'A' and make friends with it...Keep in up Paul...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 11:36 PM   #25
Model A Ron

Talking Re: Dropping the pan , recent You Tube .

Quote:

When I read stories from people like a few here in this thread who decided to own a Model A because of my videos, then that's good enough for me! While the web forums complain that the hobby is shrinking, I borrowed my wife's iphone and tripod and did something about it. I show people how easy and fun it is to own and maintain a Model A. I don't argue on web forums anymore. I discovered it is pointless and does nothing to grow Model A enthusiasm with the younger crowd. So, those who criticize my videos only make me want to do more because they aren't for them, they are for people like the ones I mentioned.
Paul
Your videos are great and I love the fact that your a Red Blooded Proud American. I am in my late 40's and I have my Model A because of you and now I am looking for a second one to tinker with. Your videos communicate simplicity, knowledge, and enthusiasm..... so if those who criticize you only make you want to do more GOD BLESS THEM In the south we would also say BLESS HIS HEART but for different reasons lol

Ron

Last edited by Model A Ron; 05-22-2021 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:13 AM   #26
john charlton

I am very sure your videos appeals to ALL model A enthusiasts no matter how much knowledge they might have .I for one enjoy them and find them very informative and jogs my fading memory .

John in partly cloudy Suffolk County England .
Old 05-23-2021, 05:16 AM   #27
dmaxweb

Which video has the front wheel bearing adjustment?
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:28 AM   #28
P.S.

Thank you guys! As long as they keep helping people and getting people to become Model A owners, then I will keep making them.

Funny story... One of the employees at Hemmings called me and said that before my videos, they would have 3 to 5 pages of Model As for sale every month. Now, after my videos, they struggle to get at least one full page of Model As for sale each month. Hemmings staff blames it on me! Seems that more people are buying Model As than ever before for some reason. Because of me? Seriously doubt that, but if it is, then mission accomplished!

dmaxweb: The 10,000 mile service video.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #29
john charlton

The wheel bearing adjustment video was several back . The way I read it seemed there could be some residual preload on the bearings . The way Paul does it works fine he has no doubt done it many times . I make sure the bearings are seated you can soon tell when you tighten the nut . I then install a wheel with no hub cap and adjust so I get the slightest rock when I grasp the wheel at 12 and 6 o,clock so no preload on the bearings . I have done it this way for years and so far no bearing failures ( I should not have said that !!!} . Maybe this is not the way most folks do it and I maybe in the minority

John in Suffolk County England .
Old 05-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #30
Model A Ron

I just looked on YouTube and Paul Shinn has 2,655,244 views along with 16,600 subscriptions to his channel.

For anyone on hear who does not know Paul take a look and subscribe to his Channel if you like what you see. I subscribed and look for new videos every Saturday.
Old 05-23-2021, 01:07 PM   #31
Rob Doe

I root for ya Mr. Shinn, Dad too. And you had a hand in my recent purchase of a bug-eyed little beauty. (After a 50 year hiatus from my childhood Model A passion)

Keep'em comin' I'll watch'em all.

P.S. I feel the same way about this forum and another I follow.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:17 PM   #32
Raaf

Paul -

I've always wanted and planned to own an A Roadster.

Got an incredible deal on '29 from a fellow HAMBer - a deal I couldn't refuse. Problem is, when the day came to take ownership, it occurred to me that I had no idea how to drive a stock A. More than occurred to me actually - this could get embarrassing and I feared I could damage the thing trying to figure it all out.

What are those damn levers for? I have to do what with that other pedal? How long do I leave the choke on? Wait, gas will leak everywhere if I what?

With the car on the way I fired up youtube and found your videos. 30 minutes later I was driving my own A without a problem.

...and in the meantime I've watched all the others.

Thank you!

Raaf
Raaf is offline   Reply With Quote