Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2014, 12:03 AM   #41
hardtimes

Default Re: New block machining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Far out.
Not exactly. I've spoken with Scat not too long ago. He said that they do make an A crank with A size rods, but not a B size crank with the much larger mains/rods. He said that they could do such , but would have to have a market for them. And , that there was NO indication that they could sell enough to make it worthwhile to tool up for that. Now we were talking 3 main B cranks. I suppose that if you pony up enough money, they will make one off anything ?

Crower, on the other hand, says that they will make whatever crank you request...just to have the 'specs' available for what it is that you want.
I was thinking, that if enough guys said that they would step forward for a 5 main bearing... B sized crank, that I could see what Crower would charge.
But, hey, I concluded that that would be like 'herding cats' , eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:15 AM   #42
Crazydaddyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Not exactly. I've spoken with Scat not too long ago. He said that they do make an A crank with A size rods, but not a B size crank with the much larger mains/rods.
Not exactly correct. They make a crank with B mains and A rod bearings. I'm running one.

P/N 7-B-4250-H
Model B/C 1932-1934, Uses Model 'A' Rod, w/ oil holes 2.000" 4.250" 36 lbs

Last edited by Crazydaddyo; 11-04-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Crazydaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:45 AM   #43
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazydaddyo View Post
Not exactly correct. They make a crank with B mains and A rod bearings. I'm running one.

P/N 7-B-4250-H
Model B/C 1932-1934, Uses Model 'A' Rod, w/ oil holes 2.000" 4.250" 36 lbs

Yes, you are correct in that statement. If you re-read my statement you will notice that I do not state anything of the MAIN size on the crank with A rods.
My question to them about this situation, i.e.- B main size with A rods crank, is why would anyone pay that large amount of $$$$ for a crank that has the puny A rod sized pins Why not make a FULL sized B crank...mains and rods. No real response, except that that's what they make.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:55 AM   #44
CWPASADENA

I am a member of the Model A touring club. We are spending a lot of money trying to make something out of the old blocks and trying to build a decent engine.

I would really like to have a GOOD reliable "A" based engine using new components and better design. 5 bearing engines would really help our cause. We should be able to run at a good speed reliably and the thing should last for ever.

The way it is now, it may not cost much more then what some of us are spending now for a "good" touring engine and we would have a really good engine with more power that we can run with confidence.

Chris.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:06 AM   #45
Flathead

I think a "B" sized three main crank would be fine, and a lot easier to deal with. How about a block with oil pressure to the mains?
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #46
Boston Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWPASADENA View Post
I would really like to have a GOOD reliable "A" based engine using new components and better design. 5 bearing engines would really help our cause. We should be able to run at a good speed reliably and the thing should last for ever.
They already sell engines like that -- $2500. Chevy 350 crate engines.
Boston Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #47
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Bruce View Post
They already sell engines like that -- $2500. Chevy 350 crate engines.
An agent orange solution! Sir you should be punished
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #48
Tod

We poured 2 more blocks today along with 4 of my Cleveland blocks. I wasn't able to be around to see them poured or shaken out so I have to wait until Monday to see how the next couple came out. I was told that the Clevelands look just fine so I'm hopeful the A's are just as nice. Surely, if we can pour V8's the A can't be far behind. I was machining Clevelands all day today so I couldn't be there.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #49
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
We poured 2 more blocks today along with 4 of my Cleveland blocks. I wasn't able to be around to see them poured or shaken out so I have to wait until Monday to see how the next couple came out. I was told that the Clevelands look just fine so I'm hopeful the A's are just as nice. Surely, if we can pour V8's the A can't be far behind. I was machining Clevelands all day today so I couldn't be there.

Tod
Hey Tod,
THANKS for the update, I was worried that you may have caught the flu ! YOU do have your flu shot,eh ? Can I send you some cough drops..licorice, cherry , Canadian club ?? Can't have you getting 'down at the mouth'....until my block is done
Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #50
Bill Stipe

We do make 5 bearing cams but mostly for hill climbing and Bonneville.
If there is a call for them we will do more, most people don't use the fuel pump anyway.
We had a Integrex 300 but the costs were a little to much for me and we sold it to a company in Canada to make cross bow parts.
here is a picture of my T crankshaft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 & 5 Bearing cams.jpg (96.8 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg TCRANK4.JPG (95.6 KB, 174 views)
Old 11-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #51
tbirdtbird
BANNED

sure makes my mouth water to see all that fine machining going on !!!
Old 11-09-2014, 12:54 AM   #52
CWPASADENA

It sounds like I need to get my engine stand ready. Finished parts may definitely be a reality in the near future.

Chris
Old 11-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #53
Tod

Today I was at the foundry while they shook out the 2 castings we poured Friday. The additions I made to make the B internal looked just great. I was anxious to get them both processed and in my hands to do some machining. But, I am only going to get one of them. The owner wanted to keep one and section it to be sure of what we have. Since he is casting these for free I couldn't really argue. So that leaves me with one to machine up. I will probably just use it to do all the fixturing and then machine it to be an A block. I can't wait to get started on that! So, we decided to order more cores and make some more. As this moves along I'm going to start making the 5x5 internals so that can get closer to reality also. Sorry this isn't going faster, but I do have to sleep, you know.

Tod
Old 11-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #54
johnneilson

Tod,

good job so far, you are allowed to sleep some.....

I am not sure if I had mentioned this, on the cam bosses, (5x5) try to leave enough metal to run a larger cam. up to 1.80 dia

John
johnneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #55
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Sorry this isn't going faster, but I do have to sleep, you know.

Tod
It appears to me that you are really making very good progress. I have been involved in manufacturing and I know it just takes time to get tooling together and you have to be sure the sections of the casting are all good etc, etc, etc.

I need to hurry up and get my engine stand ready for a new block.

Thanks for the up-date.

Chris W.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #56
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnneilson View Post
Tod,

good job so far, you are allowed to sleep some.....

I am not sure if I had mentioned this, on the cam bosses, (5x5) try to leave enough metal to run a larger cam. up to 1.80 dia

John
Yes, that has been brought up by someone, maybe you.

Tod
Old 11-11-2014, 07:22 AM   #57
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Yes, you are correct in that statement. If you re-read my statement you will notice that I do not state anything of the MAIN size on the crank with A rods.
My question to them about this situation, i.e.- B main size with A rods crank, is why would anyone pay that large amount of $$$$ for a crank that has the puny A rod sized pins Why not make a FULL sized B crank...mains and rods. No real response, except that that's what they make.
I am a SCAT dealer, and in talking with Brian about some things, I think it is feasible to probably have the pin journals machined to 1.874. They have several operations already programmed in and this is an area where they could change the program too.

When you say machined to a puny size, my personal opinion for the reason is two-fold. 1) ...the aftermarket 'A' Rod availability is great being offered by several producers. And, they are cheaper,. 2), that area is not really where the crankshafts tend to break which means the 1.499 size is quite adequate. The new 'A' Rods would likely be just as strong as a 'B' Rod.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote