Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Droobie

Default Need some insurance help

Hey good folks! I am close to having the Tudor on the road. hopefully this spring! Anyway I cannot find an insurance company that will cover my car because it does not stay in a locked garage. It doesn't stay in a garage at all. I have Allstate for my daily drivers and they said that they don't cover vehicles this old. All the insurance companies listed in the directory here on the barn require the vehicle to be stored in a locked garage.. Does anyone have advice or suggestions?? I would just build a garage but My HOA will not allow it and the cheapest storage unit that the Tudor will fit in is 130.00 per month.. I'm stuck and have not a clue what to do. Sorry if this had been covered previously but I didn't not find anything in the search tool. Thanks guys and gals!!

Drew
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Need some insurance help

I use Hagerty for my two A's. Mine are in a garage but I don't think that was a requirement of getting their insurance.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
eagle

I have JC Taylor. I cannot say enough good about this company. My A was in my shop when I had an electrical fire in Nov 2011. They treated me absolutely fairly. Much better than I ever expected. I have Progressive on the shop, now thats a different story. STAY AWAY FROM PROGRESSIVE.
eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Keith True

Hagerty does require them to be garaged.As of a couple of years ago we couldn't find anybody to insure an antique without a garage.At the time we tried to just insure for liability,but none of the antique insurers would write just liability.It had to be written as a package.I think you will need to move.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Is there any chance you can find an elderly lady nearby with garage space that she'd rent out.

My friend had Allstate and regular daily driver plates on his 1931 Model A.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Vanspeed

I just changed insurance companies today and my coupe is now insured up to 15k, and the first question they asked was " Is it in a garage?", so I think you might have an issure with no garage. Sucks I know.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Kevin in NJ

Antique car insurance tends to have two major requirements.

You have a regular cars for the drivers in the house.
The car must be locked in a garage. Keep in mind they are a low cost comprehensive insurance and they need to limit their liabilities.

As pointed out, find a local person willing to rent a garage or get one of those storage shed garages, you do not need a very big one as the A is a small car. You know the kind that they just drop on your property and are not taxed as a building.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

I was going to mention the small extra garage like Kevin mentioned, but when I saw Drew mentioned HOA I figured they would have a hissy fit!

That's why I would never live in that type community. Out in the country is the best, and I live way to close in.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #9
flexiheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
My friend had Allstate and regular daily driver plates on his 1931 Model A.
That is what I have also, regular NM plates and regular old Allstate Liability ins.... They don't care about where it is stored, but then again if I wreck it it comes out of my pocket.

Not sure about full coverage with them, but since they didn't ask where my wifes car was parked when I had it on her car I don't think it should matter.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
46ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droobie View Post
I have Allstate for my daily drivers and they said that they don't cover vehicles this old.
Drew
Allstate will cover 'em for liability if that's enough. My antiques are usually $3000 cars, not worth enough in my opinion to bother paying for collision. But Allstate was a little expensive for what I was getting.

I don't recall any questions about a garage on my Hagerty app.

Remember your "daily driver" insurance is primary if anything happens. Insurance is such a racket.
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
RonC

As others have mentioned. If you have the room, buy a 20' shipping container for one car or 40' for two cars. I think they are around $3,000 for a 20' delivered. You need to add a vent or your car will sweat.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Aok

Try Gulfway link below they insure vintage trucks with no inside storage required.

http://www.racensur.com/
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
lesbliss

Try Hartford . They cover my daily and my 51 Merc. Agreed value full coverage on the Merc. and no garage required. Rates are very competitive.

Les
lesbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
Milton

I have State Farm and no problems. They insure my '85 Camaro (primary vehicle), '73 Special Construction ('23 T w/350 Chev), '31 Woody (converted PU w/350 Chev) and I recently added my '30 A Tudor. I didn't refer to it as a classic, just a 1930 Model A Ford. No garage requirement, just limited milage. My Woody got nailed by a red light runner and the only party that got burned was the perp.
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

Jeff, you know Gomer?????? Wow! Tell his cousin Goober, and Andy and little Opie
I said "hey."

Jack
Old 02-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #16
Droobie

Thank you all for your input here. I will try State farm, Hartford and Gulfway. It is very frustrating dealing with my HOA. They are a big joke. I would move tomorrow if that didn't mean I would lose my rear on the house.. Its funny that when the wife and I shopped for a house my only requirements were a garage and and acre of property... I got no garage and less than a 1/4 acre in a neighborhood run by a crooked HOA. She is happy and I am miserable. LOL. Thanks again guys!!
Droobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #17
BudP

Try: American Modern Home Insurance
P.O. Box 740429
Cincinnati, OH 45274-0429

Via: Scott Smith C/O Skysmith Insurance
518 SW 3rd Street, Suite B
Ankeny, IA 50021
515 289-1439

I insure a 1930 Roadster, a 1931 Coupe, and a 1927 reconstructed (fiberglass) Mercedes for $244/year with 1,000 mile limitation per vehicle.

No requirement for indoor storage: specific prohibition against storage in a car racing facility.

Last edited by BudP; 02-21-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling correction
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Paul from Maine

Quote:
Hey good folks! I am close to having the Tudor on the road. hopefully this spring! Anyway I cannot find an insurance company that will cover my car because it does not stay in a locked garage. It doesn't stay in a garage at all. I have Allstate for my daily drivers and they said that they don't cover vehicles this old. All the insurance companies listed in the directory here on the barn require the vehicle to be stored in a locked garage.. Does anyone have advice or suggestions?? I would just build a garage but My HOA will not allow it and the cheapest storage unit that the Tudor will fit in is 130.00 per month.. I'm stuck and have not a clue what to do. Sorry if this had been covered previously but I didn't not find anything in the search tool. Thanks guys and gals!!

Drew
I insure with Amica. Never had a problem. They did mention I might want to talk to one of the antique car insurers if I was really worried about the "agreed value" in case of collision damage that was my fault. Since mine is a driver and not a fine points car, that was not an issue for me. I think collision, liability and comprehebsive costs me about $180 a year + or -. I know I could probably get it cheaper, but all my other insurance is with AMICA and they are really good when something bad happens.
Paul from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #19
CarlG

Quote:
... I have Allstate for my daily drivers and they said that they don't cover vehicles this old...
That's really strange, because I have Allstate for my daily drivers AND my Model A. It's on an agreed value, and they had no problem adding it to the same policy that my other 3 vehicles are on. And, they never asked about a garage, although the Model A is garaged whilst the other 3 sit outside! I suspect that your agent just didn't check far enough.

Last edited by CarlG; 02-21-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Add
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
James Rogers

Quote:
Thank you all for your input here. I will try State farm, Hartford and Gulfway. It is very frustrating dealing with my HOA. They are a big joke. I would move tomorrow if that didn't mean I would lose my rear on the house.. Its funny that when the wife and I shopped for a house my only requirements were a garage and and acre of property... I got no garage and less than a 1/4 acre in a neighborhood run by a crooked HOA. She is happy and I am miserable. LOL. Thanks again guys!!
Drew, some help from NC. I use progressive for my 68C. I only carry liability and it is just listed as my #1 daily driver. My father in law uses Grundy I believe and has claimed value for both his hot rods. His is cheaper for full coverage than mine is just for liability.

HOA?
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote