Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 06:52 AM   #1
Ziggster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 635
Default 29 Woodie for sale

No affiliation, but I thought I would post as I had never seen one before. Seems in great shape for asking price. Could be a very nice project.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars...l-a/1537774181
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 89F4B9C1-9C87-49AA-99C9-B4611FDF1A97.jpeg (160.3 KB, 158 views)
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:46 AM   #2
ronn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,358
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

not wanting to sidetrack, but how is anyone getting these cars into the US?


I missed a Chalmers in Canada about 2 months ago, because I couldnt cross the border and yet, it somehow went to Poland.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
77Birdman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Eastern MD
Posts: 407
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Model A officianados please correct my ignorance, but although the panel layout looks right, there is something about the body in its entirety that looks 'off'. I would surmise at some point, perhaps the 60's a new body was constructed. Regardless essentially buying a chassis and cowell. That being said, my bucket list is to build a wood car and this would make a great start, curious what the price would be with the exchange right. These things always seem to pop up at the wrong time. I am about a year away from finishing my current project.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:51 AM   #4
77Birdman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Eastern MD
Posts: 407
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
not wanting to sidetrack, but how is anyone getting these cars into the US?


I missed a Chalmers in Canada about 2 months ago, because I couldnt cross the border and yet, it somehow went to Poland.
Thats what stings me on this one, my brother lives in Ont. and could store it for me until the lockdown is lifted!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #5
1928Mik
Senior Member
 
1928Mik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Zanesville Ohio USA
Posts: 216
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Looks like a really good project. According to someone who imports cars, you need the following to bring into US, providing car is over 25 yrs old:
  1. Canadian title/registration
  2. Bill of sale
  3. Temporary U.S. transit permit or license plate
  4. DOT form HS-7
  5. EPA form 3520
  6. Cash or credit card to pay import duty
__________________
1928 Niagara Blue Phaeton
1972 Olds 442 Convertible
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:43 AM   #6
jwmckenzie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 104
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
Model A officianados please correct my ignorance, but although the panel layout looks right, there is something about the body in its entirety that looks 'off'. I would surmise at some point, perhaps the 60's a new body was constructed. Regardless essentially buying a chassis and cowell. That being said, my bucket list is to build a wood car and this would make a great start, curious what the price would be with the exchange right. These things always seem to pop up at the wrong time. I am about a year away from finishing my current project.
Yes there are things about this Woody that are not as Ford produced it.

Much of the original hardware is not pictured: front door hinges, tailgate hinges, rear corner brackets, rear wheelhouses, to name a few.

Of course the front seat.....

I don't think the Cowl is the correct one for a '29 Woody. Would need closer pics of the front door hinge. Here is a pic of an original Cowl, notice the hinge is continuous not like a sedan with just three hinges (which I think I see on the woody listed)



Still, if you are not looking for an original, might be a good project for someone.

Last edited by jwmckenzie; 03-03-2021 at 09:55 AM. Reason: add pic
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #7
WHN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Connecticut Shoreline
Posts: 1,290
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

You could buy one finished for under $30,000.00. A really good one.

With this one you are looking at most likely years of work and many dollars of investment.

Wooden boats and antique houses. You do it for the love.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #8
700rpm
Senior Member
 
700rpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,549
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

It’s home made, not Ford made.
__________________
Ray Horton, Portland, OR


As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #9
redmodelt
Senior Member
 
redmodelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,550
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

It could be a 1930/31 grafted on to a 1929 chassis. I am pretty sure the 30/31 would have used the hinges shown. The seat and floors are wrong but could be a Canadian body so maybe was a little longer and may have 30/31 rear fenders to match the cutouts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1930 Station Wagon.jpg (38.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 1929 Station Wagon.jpg (7.9 KB, 28 views)
__________________
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas!
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:33 AM   #10
700rpm
Senior Member
 
700rpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,549
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

30-31 doors had a curved top. 1929 Bodies were assembled by Murray from Ford subsections. 30-31 bodies were produced by Murray and Baker-Raulang and shipped to Ford assembly plants.*

*"The Ford Model A ‘As Henry Built It’" by DeAngelis, Francis, & Henrqy

Factory photos do not show any exposed exterior door hinges.
__________________
Ray Horton, Portland, OR


As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 03-03-2021 at 07:20 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #11
jwmckenzie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 104
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Here is a pic of a '30-'31 hinge. It has three tabs that slip into the door post. The hinge is also continuous and is spot welded to the part with the tabs.



Here is the hinge being fitted to the cowl prior to spot welding the two pieces together.

jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #12
redmodelt
Senior Member
 
redmodelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,550
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Good call on the roof line. Maybe some of friends to the north will help?
__________________
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas!
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #13
katy
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,066
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Here's a picture of an original, in Canada, but possibly US made.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A stn wgn 2.jpg (51.1 KB, 75 views)
__________________
Play it again Sam.
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #14
ronn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,358
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

1928- I understand the basics........ we arent allowed to travel into Canada at this time.


that is what Im talking about.


77 dig deep make an offer and own it. you wont get hurt at that price and of course, you can offer less.


I often wish Pleasantville were still in business, but at this point, a body would be about 9k alone.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C
Senior Member
 
BRENT in 10-uh-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 9,952
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
1928- I understand the basics........ we arent allowed to travel into Canada at this time.


that is what Im talking about.


77 dig deep make an offer and own it. you wont get hurt at that price and of course, you can offer less.


I often wish Pleasantville were still in business, but at this point, a body would be about 9k alone.

Ronn, we are reproducing the 150A/B bodies to Ford prints, -and likely will be making the metal bracketry in the future too.
__________________
.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
.
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:59 PM   #16
Ziggster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 635
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

I'm by no means any type of Ford expert, but it seems the body behind the rear wheels was extended by one "square" compared to the drawings and photos provided. I would guess as @77Birdman stated that the wooden body was replaced at some point. Hard to tell from the photos, but if it was replaced it seems to be a pretty good job to my untrained eye. CAN$9,800 equals US$7,742 as of today. I'm guessing the seller would probably take CAN$7,500 if you had cash in hand. I'm equally frustrated with the border being closed as I would normally travel down to Ogdensburg, NY to pick up parts I ordered to avoid the exorbitant customs charges. I still have stuff waiting across the border as it was just too expensive to have it forwarded to Canada. Hoping the border opens up by May/ June.
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #17
ronn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,358
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Interesting Brent. Im wondering why you didnt attempt to buy the metal works, which were owned by the sister of the fella producing the bodies?
I spoke with him yrs ago at Hershey.


With the prices going down on many of the woodies for sale, isnt it an uphill battle to make a profit on the "kits" or are you making them just for yourself? curious
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #18
McMimmcs
Senior Member
 
McMimmcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,330
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
I'm by no means any type of Ford expert, but it seems the body behind the rear wheels was extended by one "square" compared to the drawings and photos provided. I would guess as @77Birdman stated that the wooden body was replaced at some point. Hard to tell from the photos, but if it was replaced it seems to be a pretty good job to my untrained eye. CAN$9,800 equals US$7,742 as of today. I'm guessing the seller would probably take CAN$7,500 if you had cash in hand. I'm equally frustrated with the border being closed as I would normally travel down to Ogdensburg, NY to pick up parts I ordered to avoid the exorbitant customs charges. I still have stuff waiting across the border as it was just too expensive to have it forwarded to Canada. Hoping the border opens up by May/ June.
Looks like he will have to sacrifice it to unload it. Too many issues.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:26 PM   #19
700rpm
Senior Member
 
700rpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,549
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Ronn, we are reproducing the 150A/B bodies to Ford prints, -and likely will be making the metal bracketry in the future too.
Brent, DeAngelis states that no drawings were made of station wagon bodies. Were these discovered after the publication of his book? If so, that is a huge boon to woodie restorers, hobbyists, and repro manufacturers!
__________________
Ray Horton, Portland, OR


As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:27 AM   #20
77Birdman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: North Eastern MD
Posts: 407
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

I am a 4th generation master carpenter, period furniture maker. Cars are a hobby that I love. This is the kind of thing that I have wanted to build for a long time. I study wood body cars anytime I see one. Although not in depth. I feel that it may be challenging at times, there is nothing there that is beyond my skill level. I believe I could build the body with a pile of hardwood and some drawings. There was a guy in Hershey a few years ago selling wood bodies, I think he also had drawings for sale. I suppose what I am trying to say is that 'I'm not scared'.
Back to the OP, looks like a modern rear end as well, but from what I gather it wouldnt be too hard to put together an original type drive train.

I may have to talk to my brother about this. If I could get it for 5k us I think that would be worth the gamble. Not being the correct cowell has me concerned though. If I put the time and money into a project this large it would have to be right, not close enough. AND, by the time the borders are open my current car may be finished.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:04 AM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C
Senior Member
 
BRENT in 10-uh-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 9,952
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Brent, DeAngelis states that no drawings were made of station wagon bodies. Were these discovered after the publication of his book? If so, that is a huge boon to woodie restorers, hobbyists, and repro manufacturers!
George (RIP) said many things that were often later found to be inaccurate. The Model-A Woodie SIG has had those body prints for years courtesy of the late Tim Johnsonstone.
__________________
.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
.
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 04:26 PM   #22
700rpm
Senior Member
 
700rpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 5,549
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Thanks Brent. That’s good to know.
__________________
Ray Horton, Portland, OR


As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #23
redmodelt
Senior Member
 
redmodelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,550
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Diagrams would have of great help when I was trying to do the finish assemble of a started project 1930 SW kit, that had been thru at least 2 other people before the then current owner bought it. I think if it could have been done wrong by the first person, it was. But got it done and gone. I am pretty sure Ray know the one I am talking about.
__________________
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas!
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:47 PM   #24
w.michael
Senior Member
 
w.michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 312
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

77Birdman, there is a station wagon cowl with hinges for sale on the swap meet section.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294527

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:59 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C
Senior Member
 
BRENT in 10-uh-C's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 9,952
Default Re: 29 Woodie for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Diagrams would have of great help when I was trying to do the finish assemble of a started project 1930 SW kit, that had been thru at least 2 other people before the then current owner bought it. I think if it could have been done wrong by the first person, it was. But got it done and gone. I am pretty sure Ray know the one I am talking about.
Wish I had known Mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Station Wagon Side Assy 2.jpg (45.5 KB, 19 views)
__________________
.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
.
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

.
BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.