Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2021, 11:35 PM   #1
Certimafied

Default Original interior?

Hello everyone hope you’re staying safe and driving when possible!

I’ve been continuing my slow waking up and beautification process on my 28. My question now is about the interior and I just haven’t been able to find enough info or pictures out there to answer my questions.

I am wondering if my interior is original, the car overall appear fairly original, had a two tone respiratory a while ago but otherwise seems to be stock. I’ve snapped pictures I am going to attempt to post, my first time on this site so please forgive me if it takes a time or two.

I had the drivers door panel off at one point and it was hard to tell if the panel material itself was made of a plastic of a rubber coated paper board/ cardboard material?

My next questions are do you think that looks dingy like it could use some detailing or is that the color it should be? What would this material be, I’m guessing wool by the texture?

Thanks for the input! I can take better pictures if need be, it was dark I was using my unfderhood light to illuminate everything it made the photos a little shadowy as I really look at them.
Certimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:14 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Original interior?

It looks to have been redone.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #3
Mike Peters

There is no door pocket in the front drivers door. I would guess that originally it did have a driver door pocket.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #4
Oldbluoval

Never seen original material anywhere close to than
But more 31 person
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:14 AM   #5
Big hammer

Sorry it's not original. But that's OK if your happy with it, if it smells bad or is dirty clean it or have it cleaned, it's not original so your not going to hurt the value of your car.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #6
jb-ob

Certi,

My best guess is that the door panel & seat upholstery might be from a 1960's LeBaron Bonney kit. I had a similar seat pattern from L-B in 1966 for my 1930 Coupe.

From the location of the emergency brake I suspect you have a late 1928 Briggs Leatherback Fordor. Very unique to still have it's original carpeted front floor mat and if is an original red steering wheel, very nice. I have same with it's original interior, with only two door pockets, right front & left rear.

Enjoy, jb
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:33 PM   #7
Mike Peters

I have same with it's original interior, with only two door pockets, right front & left rear.

jb-ob: Thanks for clarifying that.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:28 PM   #8
Doug Linden

It's not an original interior, but it looks very presentable. I would leave it as is. If you have a copy of the Restoration Guidelines all the factory interior materials are listed for each Model A body style.
Doug Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:43 PM   #9
700rpm

It’s not original, but it is certainly serviceable. Upholstery is expensive, and good reproduction is iffy after LeBaron Bonney closed. Your call.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #10
eagle

Looks really nice. A carefull steam/shampoo and itll brighten up real well. A good cleaning, including the headliner gives the car a clean smell too. Mine was reupholstered in the early 50's so needed the same thing. Had to replace the headliner as it was deteriorated beyond repair but seats cleaned up like new.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:55 AM   #11
Bud

I am no expert, but I saw a 31 S/W 160A Fordor at the Toledo meet several years ago with a similar interior. The owner stated it was original and it usually caused consternation to the judges. Just my observation.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 04:15 PM   #12
Certimafied

Thanks for all the replies and compliments. This car was by far the best deal I've found since I bought my house! Im perfect happy with the interior and don't want to change it. I was just curious for learning sake if that seemed original or not.

jb-ob, good eye. I do believe it to be a late 28 production and it is a fordor leatherback. I plan on creating a thread to maybe get some clarification on the numbers and markings im seeing. Id like to develop an eye like yours for these one day!

eagle, would steaming the headliner help with water stains? Ive never shampoo'd or steamed an older interior, any tips? I have some water staining, and obvious signs of struggles in the past to get the roof to seal. Im fine with it being a fair weather car at the moment haha. A nicer smell wouldn't be bad either. The car doesn't smell terrible, old mostly but with the faintest and most familiar sent of mouse urine. Trace evidence has been found in various spots of those little devils.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #13
eagle

My headliner was deteriorated beyond saving. By the way, your headliner looks the same as mine was, and when I removed it I was convinced it was original. Been some years ago now. Id try carefully using an upholstery shampooer on the headliner. Id say its likely to take the water stains right out. Make sure to rinse well. Good luck, nice car! I had mouse nests behind the back seat. When I cleaned that area well, the smell was gone.
Old 03-05-2022, 12:02 AM   #14
Certimafied

Thanks Eagle!

I haven't pulled the back of my back seat yet. Probably worth doing to check for anything hidden there now that you mention it!
Old 03-08-2022, 08:12 PM   #15
supergnat

Your headliner and rear window shade appear to be original. Be very careful if you try to clean it. When I removed my original rear seat cushion the first lime I damaged the side fabric because it is suffering from dry rot. My interior is original as is my top (except for the color). The body and top colors were changed by the second owner. Mine is an Oct 28 Briggs Fordor Leatherback. There are lots of interior photos in one of my albums on this site. If you need any other photos just let me know. You car looks great. Supergnat
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote