Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default valve tool needed

I work on A`s and am getting up in age , strength is not what it use to be . I am looking for a tool or picture of a vale tool that will work on a stock model a vale spring to install or uninstall the spring clips. Any pictures of tools that will work would be appreciated.steve in tampa
steveankc@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
Mike Peters

Default Re: valve tool needed

https://www.brattons.com/valve-sprin...ssor-tool.html
This makes the job of removing/installing valve spring clips much easier. Hook the curved bolt over a manifold stud and lever the valve spring upwards, keeping the valve seated. The keeper is at your mercy at this point, instead of the other way around.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:04 PM   #3
[email protected]

o.k. I will try that tool, looks simple enough. Thanks, steve
steveankc@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:20 PM   #4
alexiskai

I used that tool recently to convert from the factory valves to modern straight valves with keepers. It works well enough for the clips, but if anyone is reading this and planning to use it to install keepers, bring a buddy. Unlike some vintage tools, you can't lock it, so you have to be putting 60 lbs of force on it at all times while you carefully place the keepers. Just helps to have an extra hand.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:14 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Au...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #6
alexiskai

Is that a personal endorsement, Brent? Cuz the reviews there are pretty bad.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:52 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Is that a personal endorsement, Brent? Cuz the reviews there are pretty bad.
I don't trust online reviews for anything!! Basically, most negative reviews are posted as a retaliation for that consumer's own ignorance.

The overall reviews give it a 3.5 out of 5 stars but I could not read all of them.

When I read some of the worst reviews on it, someone complained that it is stiff. My thoughts would be to add a little oil to each of the joints and correct the problem. What were their honest expectations for a tool at that price-point??

Next I see where someone gave it a 2 star rating yet "...had not used it yet since their heads were still at the machine shop." Seems more like their head attached to their shoulders is stuck up their ... for making that poor review at all!!

BTW, did you know the latest trend is for businesses to buy online positive reviews? One of the first to do this was a rating company called Angie's List. Now there are all kinds of companies offering services to give positive reviews for businesses. From what I have read, most of them are in 3rd world countries and charge about $5 per review. How I know this is I was recently approached by a company that will give my company 50 positive reviews at a random rate of 2 - 4 reviews a month (-I get to select the quantity). I can select reviews by only males, or all females, or a mix of both, ....and I can supply them with the verbiage I want each of those 50 reviews to say. I can also split the quantity of reviews between Google, Yelp, and Facebook. When I told the telemarketer that all of this is immoral and likely illegal, he said that most companies today find themselves doing this to protect their ratings from poor reviews posted by people hiding behind devices. He also said that my competitors are already doing this and I must do it also to protect my business reputation. What a sales pitch!! I politely said I wasn't interested but later got to thinking, ...that if a company can make bogus positive reviews for a company, they can also post bogus negative reviews for that company too just to 'blackmail' that biz into needing their services to counter. What a corrupt world we live in.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #8
katy

A little grease helps hold the keepers in place.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:19 AM   #9
jwmckenzie

Brent Posted:

"....if a company can make bogus positive reviews for a company, they can also post bogus negative reviews for that company too just to 'blackmail' that biz into needing their services to counter."

A digital protection racket. Tony Soprano with a computer. SAD!
jwmckenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #10
johnneilson

But if it is on the web it must be true!?!?!

IMHO, reviews are just the extremes, pro and con.

J
Old 03-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #11
JayJay

I'm with Brent, I think online reviews are pretty much worthless. (And that's kind of too bad, Angie's List started in a building about a block from where I used to live, passed it all the time going to the grocery store. It had such promise.) If you're going to try to assign any validity at all to them you need to read them for context. I find in particular that many of the negative reviews are based upon unreal expectations. Sort of like "it didn't fit my car, I tried to force it with a 10-lb sledge and it broke." Or "I haven't tried it yet but when it arrived by UPS the box was torn". Or "I asked for free advice but they said they could not diagnose over the phone, I had to come in and let them look at the car". And you have to realize that for someone to post a review in the first place they have to be motivated. At least in Yelp you can look to the person's posting history and see that of the last 15 reviews, 15 have been negative. Well, seems to me that says something about the person, not necessarily the businesses reviewed.

I looked at a few slide hammers online recently. Seems there are some that are threaded SAE on the end and some are metric. Quite a few complaints from folks who wanted to use a cheap metric threaded slide hammer on a good hardened SAE threaded end. Somehow it's the slide hammer's (or the vendor's) fault that the two didn't work together. That's not the tool's fault, that's operator error.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 03-01-2021 at 01:01 PM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
"I asked for free advice but they said they could not diagnose over the phone, I had to come in and let them look at the car". And you have to realize that for someone to post a review in the first place they have to be motivated.
I am a member of a Facebook 'Auto Shop Owners Group (ASOG)' where a frequent topic comes up about how a shop owner just received a negative review where the customer told the shop owner they would leave a negative review if the shop owner didn't meet the customer's terms. In other words, it is a bargaining tool intended to leverage the situation. It seems that Diagnostic Time is a huge cause of contention. A shop owner gets blamed if they charge for it, -and they get blamed if they charge for it and something else happens to the vehicle (e.g.: -diagnoses axle CV issues and two days later the water pump starts leaking). Can you imagine what would happen if a company could give reviews for how a consumer acted??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #13
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Can you imagine what would happen if a company could give reviews for how a consumer acted??
I've seen some sites (don't remember which ones) that at least allow a response to a review to be posted. One I thought was pretty funny, a customer griped about being overcharged for something and the response was "We do not show any record that you have been a customer at any time, and nobody here recalls this issue. Are you sure you have reviewed the right business?"

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:09 PM   #14
Chuck Sea/Tac

The style that Brent references works good for me.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #15
Bruce of MN

Yes,that conventional spring compressor works just fine!
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote